Thursday, September 25, 2008

Doctor's Wife Audition

My husband is a fourth year medical student, he just submitted his residency applications, and the interviews are coming in. I helped him edit his personal statement and CV (not to brag, but I'm kind of a whiz at punctuation - check out my masterful use of semicolons); read, re-read, and re-re-read all of his application info; helped him pick out and get fitted for new suits; and helped him prep for interview questions. Now that everything has been submitted, I thought I was off-the-hook for the rest of the residency interview process. And then, I found out about the dinners...

A lot of Residency Programs invite applicants out to dinner either the night before or the night of their interviews. It allows the applicant to talk with the residents and attending physicians in a more informal environment, and it allows the doctors to make sure that the applicant is not a complete social reject. (If you spill an entire bowl of soup on your interviewer, talk with your mouth full, and publicly berate the waiter, you're probably out of the running for that residency program.) I knew all of this. What I DIDN'T know is that very often, the applicant's spouse is invited to the dinner, too.

Yikes! My husband wants me to come to all of the dinners to which I'm invited, which makes me feel good because he obviously thinks I'm an asset rather than socially awkward with the potential to embarrass him, but it also means that now I feel like my appearance and behavior could affect his chances at these programs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm reasonably attractive, I behave appropriately in public, and I tend to dress and groom myself pretty well, so it's not like I'm going to be a huge liability. But, how should I put this? I'm a klutz. I trip more often than your normal twenty-something. I drop food on myself a bit more than I care to admit. Those Starbucks coffee cups with the teeny, tiny, spill-proof hole in the lid? I spill on myself through them when I drink Starbucks coffee. So, now I'm nervous. I won't berate the waiter or talk with my mouth full, but I can't completely rule out spilling soup on someone. I guess the key is to not order soup...

Wish me luck, cross your fingers, and pass along any tips you may have on how to eat without wearing any of your dinner!

Love,
Tova

PS - Case in point: as soon as I published this post, I spilled Mt. Dew all down my front and onto my lap. Oh, I should add - it was Mt. Dew in a CAN. You know, with the little teeny hole that my mouth can and should completely cover? I'm talented.

6 comments:

Kurt said...

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know I'm not the only one out here writing for the sake of writing and simultaneously hoping a few people will stumble across my ramblings and get a few kicks out of them.

I don't think you should worry about the residency dinners. If you worry about them or think too much about being a klutz, you're bound to be more of a klutz than usual. In my experience, you can get away with doing some pretty ridiculous things around even the most uptight individuals and play it off by laughing at yourself a little.

Anyway, what kind of writing degree do you have? And where did you get it?

Marie said...

I love anyone who has a firm appreciation for the sanctity of punctuation and editing.

I can relate to the klutz thing as well. I seem to get espcially bad with the food dropping when I'm pregnant. I thought there was nothing less attractive than maternity clothes until I dripped gravy down the front of my maternity clothes.

Hope the dinners go well!

Marie said...

By the way, my two-year-old helped me edit that post.

Former Fat Chick said...

this should be ket as evidence, if you ever get divorced (God forbid) this will show why you SO should get HALF!

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

Hmm, an interesting article in reference to the other partner's role...http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/fashion/28wives.html?_r=1&ref=style&oref=slogin There's just no avoiding it, I think.

The Unconventional Doctor's Wife said...

This post cracks me up and takes me down memory lane. Man, those interview dinners were painful for me. I did my best to schmooze but it got old really fast.

The most painful part was having to go to dinner with a resident who put in a big "chaw" of chewing tobacco AT the table in the restaurant as an after dinner "treat." So he was there indulging in his nasty little habit and the other resident was telling us that he and his wife had called the hotel to make sure we had 2 separate rooms reserved because we weren't married yet. Holy cow.

Then we went to another place and we were supposed to meet up with a couple of residents and their families for pizza. I guess we were later than they thought we should be because they ate without us and then proceeded to sit around a table and watch the two of us eat our pizza and drink our milk while they asked us questions. Talk about uncomfortable.

I hope your experiences are much more positive than mine were (as a whole). We did find a GREAT residency program where the people were wonderful and those friends are our 2nd family now!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes