Monday, October 13, 2008

Away from home

Mr. Darling and I are taking a vacation! Not until next year, but it's still exciting! He will be graduating at the end of May, and his residency will start July 1, so that gives us a whole month where he will be neither a medical school student nor a resident physician, and he deserves a fantastic vacation after all of his hard work! Right now, we're thinking Mexico, but we're shopping around online, so I'll keep you posted on the fabulous locale we decide to visit once Mr. Darling becomes Dr. Darling!

As a result of vacation planning, I was thinking today about vacations. Namely, bad vacation moments. The old standards, like sunburn and long car rides are the obvious ones, but I remembered one particular incident that makes me laugh (in retrospect, of course - I'm not sure I laughed quite as much at the time.) I'm sharing it with you all because, hey, we all need a good laugh every now and again.

Allow me to set the scene. It was summer - I believe it was a Friday night. I was on a weekend trip with my high school youth group, and we visited Canada to see Niagara Falls. I was wearing jeans, which interestingly enough, happened to be the only pair of long pants I brought along on the trip (since it was summer, and I had mistakenly assumed that the weather would be nice enough to allow me to wear shorts.) After having seen the falls, we were walking around the city as a group, and I was chatting with a good friend of mine. He suddenly stopped, leaned over, and... barfed. On my leg. I tried to get it off with some napkins hastily grabbed from a restaurant, but the damage had been done. After a four hour van ride (we got lost... several times), we arrived at the hotel well after midnight, and I did the only thing I could think to do - washed my vomit-encrusted jeans in the hotel sink with one of those ridiculous little bars of soap they give you.

The next morning, (which arrived only a few hours after we went to sleep), we awoke to unseasonably cold weather. My only clothing option was the still-damp, still-smelly jeans. I decided that the only way I could hope to dry the jeans at all was to iron them with the hotel iron, so I asked another friend to leave it on while I showered. When I came out of the shower (in my underwear, as my pants were still wet), I turned the corner and... ran into the ironing board and the steaming hot iron that my friend had accommodatingly left on at my request. For the remainder of the day, I walked around wearing jeans that smelled of vomit, were uncomfortably damp, and rubbed mercilessly against the fresh burn on my hip.

And that, my friends, is one of my less-than-perfect vacation moments. Care to share your own?

5 comments:

LYDIA said...

You are so brave, I don't think I could have done it - it being the vomit, damp jeans. I would have guilted a friend into letting me borrow a pair :)

Dr Zibbs said...

One time, like an idiot, I agreed to stay at a camp ground in NJ with 10 guys. We only had one tent. It rained inside of the tent. Yup, perfect weekend.

Jenni said...

Jamaica is lovely! you should take a trip there, and don't go caving! especially in hidden river cave in kentucky, i went there and we had to crawl army style for a amount of time that was far too long. and we had to wade in yucky water that made me sick for a week.

LYDIA said...

I thought of a less than perfect vacation moment. On a trip with my family in southern Utah, my parents decided that we were going to bike down this trail called the Black Dragon. It was very hot out, over 100 degrees - and the narrow trail with one side being rock and the other being death was not exciting to me at all. I am so not a thrill seeker! I sprained my wrist about seven miles in and had to walk to bike down this miserable trail the last 13 miles! I refuse to return to that trail!

TJ said...

(Sorry for the multitude of comments-I don't mean to sound creepy or anything)
Once while vacationing in Chicago, my brother and I were sick in bed on our birthday while my dad was in the hospital with a kidney stone.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes