Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hard at work

A breakdown of how I spent my time at work today:

  • Drinking coffee in an effort to wake up - 5 minutes

  • Cleaning up coffee that I spilled all over my lap, my desk, and my floor - 25 minutes

  • Unjamming the gigantic copier/printer that someone else had jammed up and then just left there - 30 minutes

  • Figuring out how to load staples into the copier/printer - 25 minutes

  • Complaining that it's really, really hot in this office - 15 minutes

  • Answering emails that backed up in my inbox from yesterday's marathon staff meeting - 90 minutes

  • Pointing out that, no, seriously, it is REALLY hot - 15 minutes

  • Trying to convince a woman on the phone that no, no one in this office promised you that they'd make a personal visit to your house, eight hours away, because it's not something we've ever done here, ever, for anyone - 30 minutes (turns out that she had called the wrong number)

  • Eating lunch - 30 minutes

  • Wondering why the building landlord won't turn down the heat - 25 minutes

  • Thinking about, planning, daydreaming about, and otherwise obsessing over Mr. Darling's graduation party in seven months - 90 minutes

  • Drinking Mt. Dew in order to re-wake up - 5 minutes

  • Cleaning up Mt. Dew that I spilled on my keyboard - 10 minutes

  • Contemplating stripping down to undies and a tanktop, because it is really, really, really too hot in here (and also because I have Mt. Dew and coffee stains on my clothes) - 25 minutes

  • Trying to decide whether or not to go get a pedicure by weighing the pros and cons (con - they're expensive, pro - they feel good and make my toes look cute) - 15 minutes

  • Compiling this list - 30 minutes

  • Adding up the minutes to see if they add up to eight hours - 0 minutes (I don't do math)

And that's my day in a nutshell. How people get any work done with all of these other pressing issues to deal with is beyond me!

8 comments:

Cora said...

Hee hee hee. My work day consisted of wiping runny noses, driving to and from schools, picking sticky fruit snacks out of the carpet, wiping runny noses, changing diapers, trying to talk a four year old into wiping his own runny nose (I mean, seriously!!), holding back a 100 pound Black Lab who was trying to say hi to the UPS man, wiping more runny noses (guess my lectures were ineffective), and hunting in a house that is not mine for more tissues. Ohh, so much fun. I'm a Nanny, I should point that out. A Nanny to two kids with the flu. Blah.

Marie said...

I'd add it all up to see how accurate you are, but I don't do math either.

I think I spent about 1.75 hours complaining to my husband about how kids were driving me crazy and how I might have to throw myself into heavy traffic if I didn't get a break soon. Thanks for the laughs. I needed that!

A said...

get the pedicure, you won't regret it. My workday started at 5:50 am and ended when my husband rolled over and started snoring. And I am a stay at home mom! And I just picked off my Moscow at Midnight nail polish so a pedicure's sounding really good about now...

Candy's daily Dandy said...

I wanted to thank you for the link to The Cutest Blog on the Block. If you think I was a cool mom yesterday check me out now!!! Let me know which you prefer. Thanks again. P.S. At least you have a job!!Thank god for that.

Dawn said...

This was very funny!

I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and commenting! It's always nice to get comments from someone new! :)

LYDIA said...

I have the same problem at work. By problem I am referring to the crazy girl next to me turning on her heater when it is 85 degrees outside! I loath it - I want to blog about it but she reads my blog lol. Oh well, just know I feel your pain.

Maxie said...

haha I completely know the feeling. That's is quite frequently how my day goes.

Agent Elle said...

Wish it was hot in my office...in fact I'm sat right in front of the air conditioning and it's goddamn freezing. Thank god I'm wearing a thick top.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes