Thursday, October 9, 2008

Over the hill

One of my best friends sent me a text message today from her vacation in California that said "I'm destined to be a spinster. :(" Being the caring friend I am, I assured her that being single at the age of 25 isn't an indication of sure spinsterhood, to which she replied "I know. I'm feeling bad because I was told last night that I'm hot... for being 25. :( Waahh!"

Ouch!

To cheer her up, I reminded her of the time four years ago when she and I both worked for a major (and majorly crappy) retail chain while we were in college, and one of the stock boys asked me how old I was; when I told him that I was 21 years old, he responded with "Damn! You look good for your age!" Which made me feel like I was a reasonably attractive grandma.

I blame society, of course. When Miley Cyrus, who just started puberty like, last week, is considered a sex symbol, and Jamie Lynn Spears becomes a mom at the same age that I was figuring out what "second base" was, it's totally understandable that people my age are considered to be old fogies. If I was already looking good "for my age" at 21, I fully anticipate using a cane and complaining loudly about bunions at the ripe old age of 32. It's no wonder that there's this new "Quarter-Life Crisis" phenomenon among 20-something females. We hit 25, and we're suddenly past our prime.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I need to go put in my dentures.

9 comments:

Former Fat Chick said...

silly rabbit! You will turn 30 and everything will change, you will wear skimpy, skimpy bikinis and walk around like a cougar on the prowl! ha-ha your motto after 30 will be...I don't give a F*CK and DAMN, I'm HOT~ you'll see :)

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

Oh, and then you'll turn 40 and it's a WHOLE different world out there because you won't let anybody f*ck with you! You'll see. Your MIL will be shakin' in her shoes, I promise, and the best part is you won't give a rat's ass!HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Even Dr.Darling will be in awe...

LYDIA said...

I think 25 was a hard year for me too. But just remember, it's all about how young you feel.

Maki said...

To make your friend or you feel better, I'm turning 35 this weekend! Ha! And I know I look great for my age - people don't believe that I'm that old. LOL

I was freaking out when I turned 25, too - "OMG, quarter of century!" But in the end, I am hapy where I am at now. I think I'm more mature and hotter than when I was 25!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

If you are feeling like this-then I must be half dead!! I've been told that life begins after 40. If this is true then you are just entering into "adolescence". Enjoy it and smile slyly when you see all those pre-pubesents mocking maturity.You are that much smarter and wiser. We know that wisdom comes with age and I'm pretty sure you've still got alot to learn.

Dr Zibbs said...

I've re-examined the situation. Your friend is a spinster. Do the right thing and buy her 10 cats and doilies for her couch.

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

Tag, you're it! Hope you'll play. Rules are on my blog.

A said...

I have to weigh in even though you have passed this post. Someone told me yesterday that I looked good for my age. That is not a compliment. Neither is, you look good for having four kids. It sucks, I want to look good. Period. And you Tova, I am sure, are freaking gorgeous...even though I have never actually seen you. And you'll always be, even when you're 37(Like me!)

Tranquility said...

30 will be awesome! You'll see. No longer will you make a serious and true statement only to be given that look which you recognize to mean "you're a silly kid who has no idea what you're talking about".

But I feel the age thing too - even at 'only thirty'. A much older check out person at the grocery store (just a few days ago) looked at my license and said, " Well, you sure do look pretty for being thirty" and I really didn't know quite how to take that!...
Nothing like a woman in her 80's adding to societies misconceptions that ageing has to be ugly.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes