Friday, December 26, 2008

The Book of Tova

Mr. Darling and I recently had the following conversation (which is totally paraphrased, because I'm not some creeper who secretly records all of my conversations):

Mr. Darling: "So when are you going to write a book?"
Me: "Huh?"
Mr. Darling: "You're a really good writer, and you love to write, so you should write a book."
Me: "I dunno. I'd probably get bored halfway through and then stop."
Mr. Darling: "What are you talking about? You love to write!"
Me: "I know, but that's only because I don't have to write. If I felt like I had to, it would be too much pressure, and I'd stop."
Mr. Darling: "But you wouldn't have to. You could do it at your own pace. You could take years if you wanted to. There would be no pressure."
Me: "Well, I have nothing to write about."
Mr. Darling: "You write in your blog all the time."
Me: "Yeah, but that's different. My blog wouldn't make a good book. It would be like a book of short essays, and nobody wants to read a book of essays by a person they've never heard of."
Mr. Darling: "So, write a novel."
Me: "I'm not sure whether or not fiction's my thing. Really, I just want to be a famous blogger."

Is that too much to ask? That's not a rhetorical question. I want to know, honestly, how one goes about becoming famous at blogging. Because that's what I'd like to do. And since I'm still $89 away from getting a check from Google AdSense (why no one is clicking on the links for information on stripper poles is beyond me), that's obviously not the way to go.

Truthfully, I don't expect to make money from blogging. I just want people to read my blog. And thanks to all of you gorgeous and interesting people, I've reached over 100 subscribers! And that means that I'm kind of famous to about 100 people, right? RIGHT?? (Just say yes; it'll make me happy.) So thanks for fueling my fantasy of being a well-known blogger. When Regis & Kelly interview me someday and ask me what my secret is to being read by literally dozens of people and earning $11 on Google AdSense, I will publicly thank all 104 of you by name.

15 comments:

That damn expat said...

You are welcome.
And thank you for blogging!

Oh, and one more thing:
Write a book!! (I'd read it)

Morgan the (Almost) Muse said...

I think you are pretty famous, I suppose. But books... you could do a book. I am sure of it.

Braja said...

Thanks. Give my love to Regis & Kelly.

BTW, were you saving this post for when you have 104 followers? Cos it says 73. I mean, hey, maybe the champagne was extra good this year...:)

Tova Darling said...

Braja, Haha! No, I have 73 followers but 104 subscribers, according to Feedburner. Apparently there's some sort of difference, but I'm not sure what it is... I just prefer to go with the higher number because it makes me feel better. :)

Sassy Britches said...

Thanks for remembering the little people out here! And YES, you are famous to us. :)

Dingo said...

Wait, wha--? You're not famous? You mean I'm wasting my time here hoping that you'll mention me during your Regis and Kelly interview? Oh, I am so outta here.

I'll be back tomorrow to see if you're famous yet.

Famously Single said...

I would buy your book! Plus I would buy it as presents too, so you just sold like 10 books right there :)

Errant said...

you're already famous and lovable .. ur blog is one of the blogs that i feel like i don't wanna miss any of its essays .. and i'd buy ur book too .. ur blog is something i can call unique !!

Tuesday Girl said...

You just want to flirt with regis. I am on to you

Tranquility said...

Well, one hundred subscribers makes you totally famous in my book! If you weren't, I sure wouldn't be here leaving a comment!

MuseSwings said...

Stop by - I have an award for you!
Cynthia

kim said...

I would be happy to have 4 followers, so you can be glad in the fact that you are beating me.

I expect you to have a picture of each one of us when you go on Regis and Kelly.

PS- I go through the "I should write a novel" phase at least once a month. And it never ends up anywhere. You are not alone.

Kristy said...

You are hilarious!! I stumbled onto your blog and it cracks me up. #1- what the heck with your m-i-l?? I'd totally go anonomous too! Sheesh!! #2- I want to be a famous blogger too. Or at least have more than 5 comments on a post. I want to be the chick with tons of followers and tons of comments!! *sigh*

Janah @ So Not Mom-a-licious said...

You deserve to be famous blogger. I never read the paper, I pnly read my blogs. And to me, that is enough! I like the real stuff, not the crap that the media picks and chooses. I'll buy your book of short essays!

nalanijones said...

In the process of searching for a picture that is totally unrelated to anything I've read on your blog so far, I discovered your blog. I enjoy your sense of humor intertwined with your sense of reality. As an editor, I feel inclined to tell you you're a great writer and I agree with your husband. Fiction, after all, is a depiction of reality, and seem to have a pretty good grasp on the various characteristics of reality. On the other hand, as a writer, I'll say this: Keep writing because you don't have to write!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes