Thursday, December 11, 2008

Here we come a wassailing

My time in and around the zombie hospital while visiting my possible future-home-for-at-least-three-years was really interesting. Now we just wait until March to find out where we'll be going. One of these days, I'll explain the whole match process to those of you lucky enough not to have to go through it. Also, I packed up the Christmas ornaments but didn't mail them because I couldn't find a post office. So, Mr. Darling will mail them for me.

Ok, so...

Saturday night, here's what happened: Mr. Darling (soon to be Dr. Darling) has a cousin who lives about an hour away from the city we're currently in. So, we decided to hang out with him. Here's how the conversation went -

Mr. Darling: "Do you want to get together tonight?"
Mr. Darling's cousin: "Yes! I'm going Christmas caroling tonight. Do you want to come?"
Mr. Darling: "Absolutely not. We can hang out after you're done, though."

The caroling was supposed to start at 5:00ish, so Mr. D and I decided to leave to visit his cousin at 6:30, thereby ensuring that we would miss the caroling. We were supposed to call his cousin when we were 15 minutes outside of the city to get an address for where we should meet him. So, Mr. D called, and when he got off the phone, he said, "We're meeting him at a nursing home. Some people he knows live there." We both laughed at how weird that was, when a realization suddenly hit me. "Mr. D!!" I exclaimed, "We're caroling!! He tricked us into caroling!" Sure enough, Mr. D called his cousin back and asked if we were caroling, and his cousin sheepishly replied that we might "sing a few songs." Then we discovered that Mr. D's cousin wouldn't even be AT the nursing home. We would hook up with some other people there (people we'd never met in our lives), and then they would take us to the next stop on the caroling extravaganza. Except that then, when we were almost at the nursing home, the people left. Without us. So then, we had to wait in a parking lot for Mr. D's cousin to show up.

From there, we went to a surprise birthday party for a man we did not know. (I guess that probably added to the surprise - "Surprise! Complete strangers are in your home, eating your cake and singing happy birthday to you awkwardly since they're not quite sure what name should come after the words 'Happy birthday, dear ___.'! ") Then, we sat in the living room with about 20 people, singing Christmas songs that were never, ever meant to be sung by a large, untrained group without a director ("Carol of the Bells," for example.) Many of the songs involved complicated melodies that no one really knows, which meant that I got the giggles and couldn't stop. And yes, I know that it's rude to laugh at a room full of strangers massacring Christmas songs. I couldn't help it. Adding to the fun was the fact that a woman kept showing Mr. Darling and me two photo albums full of pictures of statues. And trees.

Monday night was the pre-interview dinner, and frankly, it was fantastic. Per Adriana's advice, I made sure to talk: not so much that I was monopolizing the conversation, but enough to get to know everyone and, you know, slip in a few glowing recommendations of Mr. Darling. Actually, to tell you the truth, I didn't even have to try to slip them in - at one point, the resident I was sitting next to leaned over and said quietly to me "Mr. Darling is doing an excellent job during his rotation here. We're all really impressed by him. And he's such a nice guy. Everybody in the department likes him a lot." And I was like, "Yeah, I might be a little bit biased, but I like him a lot, too. He's the most motivated person I've ever met." And then I told him about the time that Mr. Darling saved a little girl's life by transplanting one of his own lungs into her right after scoring the winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. No, just kidding. He was never in the Super Bowl.

Tuesday was Mr. D's interview, and it went very, very well. Everybody likes him a lot (who wouldn't?), and his rotation is going extremely well, so the whole department has gotten to see Mr. D in action this month (he's flawlessly performed several procedures that some of the residents haven't even learned yet. That's because he's secretly Superman.) He has three or four more interviews this month and next (he did most of his interviews in November), but he's pretty much decided on the order in which he'll be ranking all of the programs, so now it's just time for us to sit and wait - Mr. D will be calm and collected while waiting because that's how he always is, and I'll be all nervous and excited. Wish us luck!

21 comments:

That damn expat said...

ugh I hate people who trick you into doing something they know you don't want to do.
Good luck with the waiting process. I suck at that too.

Adriana said...

Ah match day....definately a post for March. Sounds like a great trip (except for the whole xmas caroling thing...wtf?).

Megan said...

Sounds like an interesting time caroling...or not...whichever, you ended up singing songs. lol

Good luck waiting! =)

Bon Don said...

I'm glad everything went well with Mr. Darling, and you have to admit random Caroling and random Surprise Party's are awesome!!!

kim said...

My best friend and her husband went through the whole match process. So stressful.

It's like your whole life is a big lottery and weird people with glasses and clipboards get to draw the numbers.

Anne Elizabeth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really enjoyed reading this post. I had to crack up at the caroling! I would die if my cousin did that to me:)

Anne Elizabeth said...

After reading in your profile about why your started this blog. AKA your MIL. I had to follow! I to have one of those. insert *eyeroll*

Dr Zibbs said...

A few years ago our neighborhood did caroling. I showed up out of the darkeness wearing the cheesiest snowman outfit. It was funny until the 10 year olds decided to tackle me.

Julie said...

Mrs. D, sounds like you had a great trip! My Dr. D (really his initial) and I were married halfway through Med School and stressed about Match Day (why isn't that a national holiday? no one gave me the day off to sit by the phone and wait for the call. urg). Rotating through his 1st choice is a great way to get that 1st choice. In fact, I'm not sure anyone can get picked w/o rotating, (wish someone had told us that earlier so we could have had 3 years in Florida before hitting the Midwest) Enjoy ornament shopping!

Sassy Britches said...

I love how Mr. Darling says, "Absolutely not," without missing a beat. And the optimistic list of carols had me rolling! (Carol of the Bells? Oh, for god's sake.)

I'm so glad things went well with the dinner and interview. Be calm; we don't want Mr. Darling to have to do surgery for your ulcers come March.

Former Fat Chick said...

Dr. D is much nicer than Mr. Former Fat, he would had me get on the phone and fein sickness and then he would have turned around and drove home...he's NO FUN!

LYDIA said...

Those trickers! I hate being tricked into things I don't want to do.

Andrea said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the description of your caroling/birthday party experience! It sounds like your husband is an awesome guy! How cool that you will soon be married to a doctor. I also like how our in-law situations sound similar ;-) I'm so paranoid that my SIL or MIL are going to discover my blog. lol

christmasinmarch.blogspot.com

Smalls said...

I can't believe someone tried to sucker you into caroling, how random!
Yeah, same problem here. Hubby is always as cool as a cucumber while I bite my nails until my fingers bleed.

Anna Lefler said...

GOOD LUCK and good on you for having a secret blog! I will not breathe a word to the big fink who ruined the other one, I promise. ;^)

Thanks for stopping by my pad today - I really appreciate that! Hope you're having a smooth night...

:^) Anna

Rachelle said...

Cool blog! I'll be back!

Cora said...

Tova, as always, you're hilarious! :-)

He tried to trick you into caroling?!?! And he wasn't even there himself?!?! Okay - weird. I wouldn't have gone for it either.

I was at a birthday party for one of my ex's obscure relatives once and didn't know what name to put after the "happy birthday, dear...." either. Singing and mumbling all at once - not pretty.

MuseSwings said...

Sounds like, going forward, you need written contracts from this cousin person. Avoid him at all costs during Easter. Thank you for visiting my blog and for joining in on the Bloggyland tour! See you there. Caroling is on a volunteer basis only. Have plenty of that broccoli casserole hand...
Cynthia

Fancy Schmancy said...

Best of luck. It's wonderful that you're married to someone you love so much, that is secretly Superman.

The Grandpa said...

Good luck.

And it seems all of Mr. Darling's family are peculiar?

Dingo said...

Best of luck to you two! So, during this match process do you have to fill out forms about compatibility? Did you get the find your program in six months or get the next six months free?

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes