Saturday, December 6, 2008

In the hospital

I'm typing this from the residents' computer lounge in a really gigantic hospital while Mr. Darling naps. (The poor man worked until about 2 am even though he was supposed to be done at 11 pm.) Last night we slept in the hospital room that has been Mr. D's bachelor pad for the past few weeks. The tiny room has bunk beds, but if you think we slept on separate beds, you're mistaken. We shared the bottom bunk (a twin bed), and although I woke up once with Mr. D's elbow on my head and he claims that I kept hogging the bed and almost forcing him onto the floor, we plan to share again tonight. Having space is overrated. I haven't gotten to share a bed with Mr. D for the past few weeks, so I am not passing this chance up.

It was interesting spending the night in a hospital. We're sleeping in an older section, and the entire floor we're on has been converted to dorm rooms for students and residents, but Mr. D and I are the only ones on the floor this weekend. The hall kind of looks like the setting for a hospital horror movie. It's long and dark with corners that could potentially hide zombies. Last night after Mr. D came back, I spent a good ten minutes sprinting down the tile hallway in my socks and then sliding as far as I could (kind of like Tom Cruise at the beginning of this clip from Risky Business - except that I'm a female... and I was wearing pants. Also, try to picture a more zombie-friendly hallway.) This morning I was awakened by a woman making an announcement over the hospital loudspeaker. All-in-all, it was a restful night.

This particular hospital is one of Mr D's top choices for residency programs, so we spent some time today exploring the area to see if it lives up to Tova's Very High Standards for Places She is Willing to Live* (see footnote). So far, so good. We also stopped by Sam's Club to eat some free samples and quietly make fun of a woman with a ridiculous mullet. Tomorrow, Mr. D works for eight hours, so my big plans include sleeping in, checking out a local church, and maybe some more zombie-hallway sliding. I'll keep you posted.

*Tova's Very High Standards for Places She is Willing to Live
1. Mr. Darling must be there.
2. No farm animals next door.
3. Must be a Starbucks within 5 miles.

19 comments:

Errant said...

you liked there coz none of you was sick , gladly .. otherwise you'll hate everything about hospital ..

Tranquility said...

Hehe... I hate to admit it, but I run and slide in my socks too - all the time, infact (on our floors at home).

Morgan the (Almost) Muse said...

ugh, do not come here, then. My area is all farms and no starbucks. But that is okay, I do not like it. Starbucks, that is. Farm animals are just O.K. But I am glad to hear that it seems to be fitting! And I think it is sweet sleeping in the same bed. And I want to slid around in my socks, I cannot do that here, I get monster splinters.

Legal Diva said...

Aww... how sweet you all slept in a tiny twin bed! My husband would have moved within the first 5 minutes. No touching while sleeping!

I too require nearby Starbucks, however I do tolerate farm animals... we live in a pretty rural area with some horses and chickens. But the Starbucks within 5 miles makes it all okay. :)

Laura said...

well then did you get to wear scrubs at least while sharing the twin bunk bed? :)

Braja said...

I think all hospital hallways look like scenes for horror movies...eek.

Janah @ So Not Mom-a-licious said...

I so miss the days when my husband and I loved spooning. every. night. I think now, I just feel like there isn't any time to lay around and enjoy that. But when it happens it brings back great memories!

That damn expat said...

I'm rooting for Seattle Grace. Just so you can bitch slap Meredith and tell us about it.

Cora said...

Ohhh, I so hear you on the farm animal thing! I live in Seattle. Well, Seattle-ish. It is NOT farm country. Nope. Yet someone has a rooster stashed away around here, and that rooster crows ALL DAY LONG. EVERY SINGLE DAY. I've never been able to pinpoint where it is coming from either. But it's out there yelling its head off all the time. So, yes, AVOID the darn farm animals.

I would absolutely be sliding the halls in my socks too. Hee hee. I twirl in my socks on my kitchen floor while I'm cooking. Can't seem to break the habit.

That's awesome you have the whole place to yourselves! :-)

Cora said...

Oh! And, as for your offer to start up a psychic hot line, I say yes, we should absolutely do it! Although, being that we're only psychic while we're asleep, it might mean lots of napping on the job. But I think I can handle that. How about you? :-)

Pleasant Drive said...

Scary! I've never heard of well people staying the night in a hospital!

Smalls said...

Ugh yeah - sleeping in a creepy semi-abandoned hall at a hospital would give me the heebie-jeebbies. Sock sliding would make up for it though, fun! Mr.Darling should count himself lucky your standards are pretty generic, I told my husband my standards are:
1 - No mosquitoes
2 - No snow
...It's pretty limiting :P
You have a good point though, farm animals are scary (with their big empty farm animal eyes)...

saratogajean said...

No farm animals?

What about goats...they are fun and don't stink too much.

I like to chase my dogs through the house and slide in my socks. It really freaks them out.

jamie said...

I love the fact that you are bunking in the hospital with him!! It kindof makes my heart warm! Too sweet. Oh, and I love the design on your blog!

Former Fat Chick said...

sounds fun...ok, not really...we slept in a twin bed when we were newlweds, all the way up until I was 8 months pregnant. We had to both face the same way and he had to spoon me, if not we did not fit!

Adriana said...

It is kind of funny that they put you up in the hospital...our interview places comped a hotel room at least. Tell Mr. D he needs to find classier programs (or a better field cause I found out from hubs that our other depts at the hospital don't cover the same expenses) We have our first dinner with applicants tonight and who doesn't love a free meal with people you have never met?

ÄsK AliCë said...

Your standards and my standards sound identical (well other then the whole Mr. Darling thing because that would just be weird)

Bon Don said...

I can't even sleep in a queen bed without an elbow to the face! you guys are doing just fine!

slide for me too please, that sounds fun!

Tova Darling said...

Adriana - Haha, yeah, I probably should've clarified... he's staying in the hospital because he's doing a month-long rotation there. The program does put everyone up in a hotel the night before, but since he'd been staying there all month and I stayed the whole weekend, taking the hotel room would've meant moving out of the hospital and then back in after one night. Just not worth it.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes