Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

I love, love, love Christmas. I mean, perhaps a little bit more than is healthy. I am incapable of going anywhere that sells Christmas ornaments without buying one or two... or fifteen. Really, all anyone would have to do in order to convince me to buy random overpriced knickknacks or gadgets is attach a hook to it and call it an ornament. Do I need another can opener? Nope. Would I buy a can-opener ornament to hang on my tree? Yes, please.

Mr. Darling and I got married during the Christmas season, so now I have this idea that I must own every ornament and every Christmas-related item ever made, because, "Awww! It's Christmasy like our wedding!!" Now, I not only associate Christmas with the birth of Jesus, family, and gifts, I also associate it with Mr. Darling, our wedding, love, weddings in general, and (let's be honest) myself in a long white dress being the center of attention. Also, for our first Christmas as husband and wife, we were on our honeymoon, so in my mind, Christmas is also associated with being pampered in the tropics while sipping exotic beverages.

Since we had a Christmas wedding, my genius bridesmaids came up with the brilliant idea of asking everyone to bring me a Christmas ornament for my wedding shower. So, not to brag or anything, I have the most amazing Christmas ornament collection known to man.

Here are some of my favorites:











A shrimp cocktail. Get it?













Dancing Santa & Mrs. Claus. Too cute!

















Not my actual engagement ring.









There's a story behind this one: When Mr. Darling and I first started dating, we lived 900 miles apart. (We met when I was visiting some friends, one of whom happened to be Mr. D's roommate.) We managed the whole long-distance relationship thing for about five months before we both decided we couldn't take it anymore, so after Mr. D graduated from college, he moved halfway across the country to be close to me. When he moved to my city, I had several housewarming gifts waiting for him in his new apartment, including a vase with a beta fish in it and a lily growing out of the top. On the side of the vase, I had painted the words "To the only fish in my sea." (Just for clarification, that's a play on the phrase "There are plenty of fish in the sea," and not something dirty.) So, my college roommate gave me this ornament for my shower and included a note that said "Tova & Mr. Darling - the only fish in each other's sea."









I made this for extra credit in geometry class in 8th grade. You know you're amazed.






It's a spoon! (This is proof that I will, in fact, hang kitchen utensils on my tree.)



I just bought this one last month at this amazing little shop that sells antiques and art. I LOVE it!

As you may have guessed, we set up and decorated our Christmas tree over the Thanksgiving weekend. (When I say "we," I mean "mostly me." Mr. D is required only to hang up five ornaments, at which point he gets bored and does something productive.) Our wedding favors were Christmas ornaments with our name and wedding date on them, so we also have quite a few of those on our tree.
And now for the big reveal. Here's one of ornaments I will be sending to my contest winners!
(Ok, not this exact one. This one's mine, because obviously I couldn't buy these ornaments for other people and not get one for me.)
I will be sending these this weekend to my fabulous winners when I go to visit Mr. Darling. He's out of town on a rotation, so I'm visiting him and going to a pre-residency interview dinner with him. (I bought a fantastic dress for the interview, obviously.)
I will be staying in a hospital with Mr. Darling (for real!), so I probably will have no internet, but I'll keep you posted and let you know whether or not I spilled soup on anyone at the dinner. Wish me luck!

19 comments:

CL said...

Wow, you have quite a collection! I love Christmas too!!! It's such a happy season.

Morgan the (Almost) Muse said...

Those are pretty beautiful! We have about four or five "Baby's First Christmas" on our tree. And then, four or five "Baby's second christmas." But after that it drops off. I guess we lost interest once they hit toddler age. :D But, I think it is fair to say that, in thirty years, my parents have about as many as you have now. :D

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

My sister got married December 14th(years ago) and my wedding gift to her was I decorated a tree in the reception and gave her all the ornaments as my wedding gift. Have a wonderful weekend!

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

I also LOVE buying them on Dec. 26! By the boxfuls and entire tree themes!!

Sassy Britches said...

I am impressed you kept the one from geometry class all these years! And if you want to keep Mr. Darling engaged throughout the whole tree-trimming, put him in charge of untangling all the hooks and putting the hooks on the ornaments so you can then put them on the tree. It has worked for my mom for 41 years, and me for three with my gentleman friend! Have fun at the dinner!

Your Ill-fitting Overcoat said...

"... and (let's be honest) myself in a long white dress being the center of attention."

HAAAAAAAA

That line saved that sentence from getting too schmaltzy for my taste and instead made it high-larious.

And I love the shrimp cocktail! HA!

Angela said...

What unique ornaments you have. so cool!

Charity Childs-Gevero said...

I know what you mean...personally, I think that if Christmas were a man, I would make love to him day in and day out, and be with him, forever! :) That's how much I love Christmas!

The shrimpo dude looks like the shrimp at Bubba Gump! :)

whoissecretdubai said...

a humble request...(for anyone not allowing this post through--not spam--)

Anyone happen to know who Secret Dubai (the blogger: secretdubai.blogspot.com) is?

http://whoissecretdubai.blogspot.com/

Cora said...

Oh, Tova, I love it! :-)

I'm a big Christmas fanatic too. I have more ornaments than my poor tree can hold, but I just keep on buying more. And more. And more. I figure one day maybe I'll live in a place with cathedral ceilings and I'll NEED all those extra ornaments because I'll need a huge tree! It could happen.

.::~P~::. said...

oh wow!!! those are gorgeous

I'm really impressed with the one you made in grade 8 :P

Adriana said...

I went with my hubs on several interview dinners when he was applying for residency too. Now we are the ones to host the dinners for applicants this year (he is a 2nd yr ob/gyn) and it is funny what the other side of the dinners are like now. Have fun, be yourself, and please please talk! You would be surprised how many applicants/spouses say NOTHING during dinner. Just be somewhere in between monopolizing the conversation and not saying anything at all and you will be fine.

kim said...

Isn't it so important for you to look attractive at your husband's interview? I mean, when they hire him, they hire you too. It's important for them to know you'll always arrive looking fabulous!

Bon Don said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bon Don said...

That is an adorable collection! Very cute Tova Darling!

I love your name by the way...it always makes me want to put on a monocle and speak with an accent!

Dingo said...

I was wondering why you haven't posted and then clicked over here to find TONS of posts that did not show up in my reader. Bad reader, bad!!

Anyway, I love the ornaments. I helped my mom decorate the tree last week. She has gorgeous ornaments. I not so subtly suggested that she allocate them to me in her will. Pleasant holiday topic, yes?

Errant said...

that was so nice ..

Fancy Schmancy said...

Sweet, I absolutely love the ornaments that are sentimental. I may have to write a post about it...

ÄsK AliCë said...

Your tree looks adorable!

It's oddly similar to my parents in that they'll hang absolutely everything on it. My mom and I have a "favorite" ornament which came from a Kahlua bottle and features a dancing half naked Jamaican man - hot.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes