Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pet peeves

Random Pet Peeves, for no particular reason:

1. Return Receipts on emails when used as a manipulation technique. Sure, they're great if you want to make sure that your professor received your final paper or your boss has read your status report, but they're incredibly annoying when people use them to harass you, as in "I see that you read my email 10 minutes ago. Why have you not responded to my long and detailed question, the answer to which I am too lazy to research for myself?"

2. When people can't quite grasp the concept of personal space.

3. Drivers who go five miles below the speed limit in the left lane. It's called the passing lane for a reason, buddy.

4. Bad grammar.

5. PeEpLez wHo tYPe lyKe dIs bEcUZ tHaY lYkE 2 buTcHeR DA eNGlIsh lAnGuAge.

6. People who interrupt a lot. Here's how polite conversation works: First, you say something. When you're finished, I say something back. After I've stopped talking, you respond. Serial interrupters are welcome to write that information on their hands for future reference.

7. When a book's back cover or book jacket gives away a part of the story. For example, on the back cover of the book I am currently reading, it says that the daughter of one of the main characters is "involved with a young priest." I am currently on page 250 of the book, and so far the daughter is kind of weirded out by the young priest and tries to avoid him. But thanks to the back of the book, I know that they're going to become "involved," and it annoys me that I already know that. Stupid spoiler book cover.

Add your own to the list - it's fun to complain about things that you cannot, realistically, do anything about!

20 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

I'll add to your last one...I try to always get to the movies after the previews. Otherwise I have to stick my fingers in my ears and hum because they always give away TMI!

Also, two more: People who have different lengths of fingernails and don't seem to notice or care. Ew. And people who chew gum with their mouths open (I usually see this in over-testosteroned coach-types, but lowly commoners do the same thing, and it really irritates me.

Dingo said...

People who get to the top of the escalator and then just stand there looking around as everyone behind them tries to avoid a 30 body pile up.

Students who miss class and then email me asking what they missed and will it be on the exam.

Dto3 said...

People who stand in line to order food and then don't know what they are ordering when they reach the counter. Seriously, what were you doing while standing in line?

Julia said...

People who interrupt you but then get pissy when you try to resume your story!

That damn expat said...

Off the top of my head, people who stop to chat in the middle of a narrow sidewalk. Yeah asshole, your news of buying monogrammed towels is worth me getting run over while stepping around you. Move!

Smalls said...

People who say "it's free!" when an item doesn't scan at the store, and then look at smug cause they think it's funny and original. I worked as a cashier for one month and heard that "joke" at least 10 times.

Oh, and people who eat loud or stinky food at their cubicle (in a quiet office). Like chews on corn nuts (what, are you chewing on pebbles over there?!) or eats canned tuna and the smell lingers for hours. If your food is loud or smelly - take 5 minutes, go to the break room, eat, then come back. Seriously, be considerate.

Braja said...

I will not begin, because I will not end.... :)

OK one then: slow wandering walkers on a footpath in a busy part of town. Get out of the way already, EVERYONE around you is in a rush!

Deutlich said...

No. 3? Drives me up the WALL!

Cora said...

Hmm, can I add:

When my neighbor parks his Hummer in the street. It takes up HALF the street AND blocks part of my driveway which makes it a lot of work for me to negotiate my car in and out of my own driveway. (ARG).

When people take food at a salad bar, sniff it and then put it back. Ewwwww!

Dr Zibbs said...

I hate people that are late.

LegalMist said...

I hate it when I'm in the right lane so I can turn (I'm generally going even faster in the passing lane, otherwise) and someone whips around to get in front of me, then stops at the red light in front of me and doesn't turn. AAAGHH.

Leah said...

Are you reading The Thorn Birds? That plot sounds familiar. If so, it's a great book.

Amy said...

People who have way more than 10 items in the express lane. I can tolerate 12, even 15 but any more than that is just annoying.

That annoys me but my major pet peeve is when people sweat all over a machine at the gym and don't wipe it down. It's just gross.

Jenni Jiggety said...

I agree with your 1-7, and would like to add:

8. People who wear their bluetooth ear pieces in the grocery store and walk around having a full on conversation...

Mrs.D said...

I'll have to do a whole post on this because I don't think I can name just one. lol.

MelO said...

I basically DID this post already today... lol. I guess it's just one of those days?

I'm with you on every. single. one of these!

Stupid people suck :( Why can't they all be perfect and wonderful like us? ;)

MelO said...

Btw, I agree with basically every comment written here, too! :D (except my neighbor doesn't drive a Hummer)

Cora said...

Tova, I took your advice and participated in the Xmas In Bloggyland Tour. Too fun! Can't wait to see what you'll come up with! :-)

Oh, and I've tagged you with a Christmas tag (okay, dorky pun there. I just got it) come stop by my blog for the rules.

Legal Diva said...

People who don't take a hint. Or people who call you on the phone and won't stop talking, even after you've told them you have things you need to do and better be going.

Brandy said...

LOVE this. And AMEN to number 5 sista!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes