Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

Don't worry all, I've not forgotten about tracking down the people who stole my husband's identity, but since I'm still awaiting several return phone calls (nothing like trying to follow up on identity theft the day before Thanksgiving), I'll post something totally frivolous and random about my Thanksgiving. This should give you some insight into what it's like to be related or married to me.

A week before Thanksgiving, I asked my mom if she'd like for me to make the broccoli casserole for Thanksgiving dinner. She said that she'd already bought all of the ingredients, but that if I'd rather make it instead, that would be great, and she'd just save the ingredients for another time.

The night before Thanksgiving, I was at my mom's house spending time with family when I remembered that I didn't have any mayonnaise for the casserole. When my brother-in-law had to run to the store, I asked him to pick up some mayo for me. Then, when I left my mom's house that night, I forgot the mayo. I got halfway home, realized I forgot it, and had to turn around and go back. (Luckily, I live 15 minutes away from my mom.)

Thanksgiving morning, I realized that I had no eggs for the casserole, so I asked Mr. Darling to run to the only open store to get eggs while I took a shower. After I jumped in the shower, Mr. D and I had this conversation:

Me (yelling from the shower): "Mr. D!! Mr. D!!!!!"
Mr. Darling (coming into the bathroom so we can talk like civilized human beings instead of shouting): "Yes?"
Me: "Can you pick up some cream of mushroom soup for the casserole, too?"
Mr. Darling: "Sure. Anything else?"
Me: "Nope, that's it." (Mr. D leaves bathroom.)
Me: "Mr. D!!!!!"
Mr. Darling (coming back into the bathroom): "What?"
Me: "Can you get shredded cheese, too? I forgot that we're out."
Mr. Darling: "Ok." (Starts to leave bathroom)
Me: "Wait!"
Mr. Darling: "What?"
Me: "Umm... can you check the freezer to see if we have any broccoli?"

Of course, we did not have any broccoli. In other words, the only ingredients I actually had for broccoli casserole were crackers to crumble on top and the mayo that my brother-in-law got for me the night before.

So, since some of you like to share recipes on here, I'll share my Thanksgiving Day recipe for broccoli casserole:

Tova Darling's Mom's Broccoli Casserole
1. Go to Tova's mom's house; she has all of the ingredients already. (Added bonus - she has already cooked the broccoli because you're running late.)
2. Use her casserole dishes and her oven to assemble and cook her ingredients according to her recipe.
3. Make your sister clean out the mixing bowls.
4. Graciously accept tons of compliments on your delicious casserole.

13 comments:

B.E. Earl said...

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Except I wouldn't have even had the crackers to crumble on top of the casserole. :)

Sassy Britches said...

I heart broccoli cheese casserole with a passion. I wait an entire year to pounce on it. I even took a picture this year for possible Wordless Wednesday fodder. You are my new BFF since you know how to make it (even if THAT is questionable!)

Janah said...

Why do things like that always happen on the days when you can't do to, or don't want to go to the store? At least Mr. D was sweet enough to go for you.

LYDIA said...

Wow, what an easy recipe! My husband loved it!

.::~P~::. said...

AHAH that sounds like an everyday journey for me.

I would sure like some of that casserole right about now... :P

Candy's daily Dandy said...

All those little, important details get lost in the deep recesses of my mind too! Ha! Love it!

Morgan the (Almost) Muse said...

xD Well, you had had a stressful couple of days, what with the problems you guys have had. I think you were allowed to be a little off kilter as far as cooking goes. But I do like your recipe, I shall have to keep that in mind. :D

Cora said...

Ohh, that's hilarious! Hee hee hee. You always make me laugh, Tova! :-)

Fancy Schmancy said...

Please post the recipe. I often make a Swiss Vegetable Medley that is a much better version of the dreaded green bean casserole, but I skipped even that this year. I did, however, make Pioneer Woman's wild rice and corn casserole that was To Die For!

AngieS said...

oh, you do it that way too?


;)

Megan said...

It's always something, isn't it? There's always something I'm missing for a recipe! I think your recipe sounds like a better idea. I may have to take lessons. ;0P

Merry SITSmas!

Sassy Britches said...

You're on, at midnight...my Wordless Wednesday just for you :) Check it out tomorrow!

Former Fat Chick said...

You eat veggies on Thanksgiving! hahaha, I used to make them but no one ate them...so, I count the candied yams as THE veggie, I know I know, we must all have clogged arteries!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes