Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays

And now it's time for the second round of Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays!

Here's how it works - post a Totally Awkward story on your blog. Then, leave a comment telling me you've participated, and also link to my blog from yours, and I'll include a link to your blog in my post - that way, we can all cringe/laugh/die of shame together! Your awkward story can be anything - something awkward you saw, you did, or you were unwittingly a part of.

Here's mine:

My senior year of college, I lived in an apartment with three other girls (I'll call them Good Roommate 1, or GR1, Good Roommate 2, or GR2, and Randomly Awkward Roommate, or RAR). Three of us got along amazingly, but the fourth girl (Randomly Awkward Roommate) somehow didn't seem to fit in. (Which was odd, because we'd all been friends with her before we lived together.) Whenever the other three of us would go somewhere, RAR wouldn't want to come. If the three of us wanted to eat lunch together, RAR wasn't hungry. She and I especially seemed to bicker a lot, and there were a few uncomfortable moments in our apartment.

After graduation, the other two roommates and I remained really close friends, but RAR basically stopped talking to us. So we were surprised when she invited us all to a bonfire at her house. One of the roomies (GR2) had just had a baby, so she couldn't come, but the other roommate (GR1) and I decided we should go, as we'd always given RAR a hard time in college for not doing anything with us.

So GR1, her boyfriend and I show up to RAR's house, and we immediately realize that A- we don't know anyone there but each other and RAR, and B- we are a good five to six years older than all of the other guests, who were all still in high school. Also, nobody at the bonfire actually knew how to make a bonfire, so GR1's boyfriend somehow ended up having to spend all evening building, lighting, and tending to the fire.

The thing that made takes this story from vaguely uncomfortable to Totally Awkward is the fact that RAR had neglected to tell us that she wasn't just inviting us to a bonfire... she was inviting us to her birthday party. And every other guest in attendance knew it was a birthday party, except us. So, they all brought gifts, GR1 and her boyfriend brought nothing, and most awkwardly of all, I brought her an invitation to my own bridal shower. And not just any invitation, but an invitation that looked like a gift.

See, one of my bridesmaids had handmade all of my shower invitations, and I hadn't been able to get RAR's address in time to mail her an invitation, so I said I'd just hand deliver it. So, I'm at a birthday party that I don't yet know is a birthday party, and I hand this* to the birthday girl:
*Not my actual invitation, but pretty dang close.

And she says "Awww! Thanks, you shouldn't have!" And I say, "Huh? I didn't... Wait, um... no. It's... um..."

And that's how we found out that it was a birthday party. Awkward, yes? Later, everyone went inside for cake and presents, and we took that opportunity to leave very quickly. Two and a half years later, I've still never heard from her again.

Ok, now it's your turn! Share your Totally Awkward moment on your own blog, then link back here for Totally Awkward Tuesday.

Then, check out the other Totally Awkward bloggers...

Moi at Going Overboard
PJ at It is what it is...
Chloie at Orchestrated Destiny
Braja at Lost and Found in India
Angie at Psycho Hairapy
Julie at Weekly Jules
Morgan the (almost) Muse at Insert Clever Name Here
A. at Snarky Much?
Kelly at And that's how I choose to remember it
Cora at Love Letters by Cora
Legal Diva at The Reasonable Person

24 comments:

Femin Susan said...

Hi......
Your blog is really interesting... Keep posting.... Wishing you " A Happy New Year''

Sassy Britches said...

Whoops! I supposed she didn't make it to the bridal shower, eh? :)

Tova Darling said...

Thanks, Susan!

Sassy - Haha, nope! And I never got an RSVP from her for the wedding, either.

Braja said...

Oh, I think my post for today TOTALLY covers a cringing episode, which was life with my mother. I was not a willing participant in any of that 99% of the time :)

Moi said...

Okay that is really awkward. But, on the plus side - What a cute invitation! -
Your roommate story has completely got my awkward story for next tuesday all lined out. This is way to easy...

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

Wow, Tova, you really have a knack for those awkward moments!

Chloie said...

That was totally awkward!

Anyway, I'm playing along with your game. ;-)

AngieS said...

I was racking my brain to come up with my awkward moment for this week, but yours took me back one of mine. Its on my blog....

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Ooooh, I hate it when I don't get that memo!! But not all was lost, as it gave you great blog material :)
I only post on Mondays, so I will try to add a link back to my "awkward" (that word never looks correct spelled out) moments. Here's the one where I uncover Victoria's secret:
http://weeklyjules.blogspot.com
/search/label/swimsuit

Happy New Year!
Jules

Megan said...

Uhhh...oops...lol

Yaletown Girl said...

Nice blog! I'm new to blogging, so I think I've link to your blog as a follower.

Morgan the (Almost) Muse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Morgan the (Almost) Muse said...

Oops, I did not know that it would tell you that I deleted my comment. I must remember that for next time. Anyway, I wrote a post that in itself is not totally awkward, but was about a situation that truely was.

(and the invitation thing--OUCH!)

Cheryl said...

man, that is awkward. that used to happen to me too- not the inviting people to my bridal shower part (hopefully i will need to have one of those), but being invited to parties without knowing it was actually someone's birthday, and therefore turning up without a present.. in fact, it happened so frequently that i had to spend an entire weekend going through my facebook friends list/email and inputing everyone's birthday into my cellphone.

ps, i'm excited to find another pinky and the brain fan!- i feel that we're a rare breed.

Aly @ Lip Zip said...

Oh! LOL

How hilarious, even though I know it was totally awkward! I have to go read it again. Great story!

Callista said...

Some people should be shot... oops.. did I actually type that?

A. said...

Fabulous awkward story, Tova! I am also playing along today.
Happy New Year to you & yours!

HairDizzer said...

Hi Tova! I loved your story, and I also posted an awkward story. Enjoy!

pj said...

Nice! The un-gift, classy stuff. i like how you just ran for the hills when given the chance.

Cora said...

Tova, I know I'm WAAAYYYYY late here, but I've participated! Sorry it's so late - my daughter just got back from her Dad's house, so this is our Christmas Eve and I've been doing Christmas Eve-y things. Better late than never? Oh, thank you!! :-)

LegalMist said...

Wow, she set you up pretty well, didn't she? I love your totally awkward tuesday tales. Great idea!

I've given you an award; stop by my blog to collect:

http://legalmist.blogspot.com/2008/12/third-times-charm.html

Legal Diva said...

That is really funny. Unfortunately, I thought today was Tuesday for a while, and posted my awkward story today. But... I'm trying!

Thanks for the good laugh today.

MuseSwings said...

Your totally awkward Tuesday is a fun idea! I'll see what I can dredge up from my totally awkward past for next Tuesday!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes