Friday, January 2, 2009

Award!

Is there a better way to usher in the New Year than with an award? Probably, but I can't think of one offhand, so I'll start the year off with this Honest Scrap award given to me by Legal Mist and Errant at My Own Circus Show. Thanks!!Let's start with the rules: The honorees are to: A) first list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep! B) pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.

Ok, here goes...

1. I read the personal ads on Craigslist ALL the time. Seriously, have you checked them out? They're hilarious! Luckily, Mr. Darling is totally secure and knows I would never cheat on him, so it's not a problem. Once I wrote a list of tips of what not to write in a personal ad and posted it on the craigslist personals. Several guys called me a b*tch, and several more asked me on a date. (I wasn't single, so I didn't take anyone up on that.) I'll have to try to recreate the list sometime.

2. I am hideously disorganized, messy, and a huge procrastinator, but I keep the most meticulously detailed and organized planner/calendar that you've ever seen. I update it every day and feel completely lost without it. When people see my planner, they think I must be a really organized person. The truth is, I just like writing things in calendars.

3. I read excessively, to the point that I've been told it can make me appear rude, because I will pick up a book and start reading if a conversation no longer interests me. My favorite authors are Charles Dickens and Frank McCourt, but my tastes are eclectic, and I'll read almost anything.

4. I'm a fairly intelligent person with little to no motivation, so any intelligence I may have is essentially useless.

5. I can't roll my tongue, but I can raise my left eyebrow independently of my right eyebrow, allowing me to convey feelings of skepticism, incredulity or suspicion with great ease.

6. I played the violin for nine years, but I haven't touched it for at least 6 years; if I played now, you might be able to recognize "Mary Had a Little Lamb" if I tried very, very hard.

7. I always, always get my way when dealing with customer service people. Your car broke down again a month after you paid to have it fixed? Point me to your mechanic. Your landlord won't fix your sink? Just give me his phone number. It may take me a while, but I don't give up until it's done. I worked in customer service for 5 years, so I've learned from experience that if you complain long and loud enough (and if your complaint is justified), you will get what you want. Mr. Darling never bothers to deal with companies anymore if he has a complaint. He just sics me on them.

8. When I was younger (like, from age 6 to 15), I was certain that I wanted to have 8 children. I would tell anyone who would listen that I was going to have four biological children and adopt four children. I have no idea why I decided on that number. In my late teens, I finally realized that I would most likely lose my mind with 8 kids. Now, I've decided that I never want more kids than I have hands to hold onto them with. (For the record, I have 2 hands.) Occasionally, people who knew me when I was younger still ask me if I want 8 kids.

9. I have very well-contained road rage. I shout at people from inside my car (with the windows rolled up so that they have no idea they're being yelled at), and instead of honking, I yell "honk honk." It allows me to vent my frustration while simultaneously avoiding being killed.

10. I have a detailed plan for what I would do if I ever won the lottery. I know what percent I'd invest, how much would go towards retirement, how much would go into savings accounts for my future children, etc. The only problem is that I've never purchased a lottery ticket in my life.
And now, I get to pass this award on to other bloggers. So, this award goes to:
1. Smalls at Anxiety's Axioms
2. Autumn Joy at Gaining Wisdom
5. Adriana at From KS to PA
7. A. at Snarky Much?

23 comments:

justsomethoughts... said...

great list. you are fun to read.
keep up the good woik.

my word verification is bentsin.

ok. i will go no further. i'm in the middle of turning a new leaf. eh. who am i kidding...

Jen said...

Ooh...I'm with you on the left eyebrow thing! Can't raise only the right one, though.

And at the tender age of 5 months, Caroline has already inherited the left brow raise from me!!

She's gonna be a tough girl, I just know it! :)

MuseSwings said...

This is scary - I'd have to admit everything except #6. No musical talent whatsoever. Except that I figured out how to play the first few pages of Pachabel's Canon on a toy keyboard by figuring out first how to read music and then by finding the keys that sounded like they were the right ones.

Perhaps our mirror image lives is why I have been drawn to your blog.... Congratulations on your award and to the recipients! Cool!

Dr Zibbs said...

Hey Tova, let's hear those tips you put on Craigs List.

A. said...

I love the list. I'm with you on the eyebrow thing, but it's my right one that I can move independently. For some curious reason the left one is not as flexible...

Congrats on your award, and thank you so much, Tova! You totally just made my day!

Dr Zibbs said...

Just gave you a shout out on my blog. I look forward to reading the Craigs List post.

Anne Elizabeth said...

I am cracking up at your number 9. I will have to try that:)

Errant said...

:) nice list .. I LOVE reading too .. just yesterday i was going to visit some boring people .. so i took a novel in my purse .. my mom was shocked when i got my book out and started to read .. she thought it was rude .. i thought it was not wasting time and having fun!!!

and thanx for ur comment .. it really means a lot to me .. since u got a point at that ... i like your way of thinking :)

Autumn Joy said...

Thanks Tova!! You Rock!!! :)

HairDizzer said...

Thank you! This should be fun. :-)

Cora said...

I'm soooo there with you on the reading obsession! My step-mom gave me a fantastic book called Flora Segunda and I started reading it on Christmas Eve, then I couldn't stop. I kept picking it up and reading during present opening on Christmas, which, I'm told, came off as exceptionally rude (like I need ooh and ahh at my neice playing with her fifth new baby doll of the day for ten minutes with everyone else!). I'm sorry, but sometimes a book is far more interesting than real life!

Smalls said...

Thanks Tova! This is so exciting, my first award! I can't wait to write my own super duper "honest list"... crap, where is free time when you need it?!

I'm totally with you on the procrastination. And I am also all about the raised eyebrow.

Sassy Britches said...

I love how you say you're totally disorganized but you have the presence of mind to write tips for the personal ads and a detailed plan of your lottery winnings! Too fun!

I confess I'm a "rude" reader too. I always carry a book with me; you never know when you're going to have to wait somewhere or be forced into tedious visiting situations!

HairDizzer said...

Alrighty Ms. Tova. Can you help me? I'm new to blogging... and I'm trying to figure out how to post awards on my sidebar... and I simply can't. Please help me!

HairDizzer said...

So easy! hehe THANK YOU!!!!

Cheryl said...

I LOVE writing in calendars too- and here I thought I was the only one!! My friends thought I was insane, but I just love having everything planned!

I was at the airport with my brother, and I tried to raise one of my eyebrows. Of course, I wasn't successful, and the guy across from me thought I was making a move on him (he asked me about it).

The Unconventional Doctor's Wife said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog! Congrats to hubby for being so close to finishing! It's a long haul for sure...for us and for them!

BTW, you are one hilarious chick!

mieletcannelle said...

I'm so with you on the calendar deal - I have a stack of daytimers, calenders, moleskines.. it's ridiculous. I'm horribly disorganized, and it's getting to the point where I waste so many trees doing it that I might very well get myself a blackberry.. *chuckle* Enjoying the blog. xo

littlesack said...

I enjoyed learning more about you. I display my road rage in a similar fashion- it definitely helps. Ps- I left you another award on my blog.

Laura said...

Oh Tova my darling. Thank you for the very sweet and thoughtful award. I will post on this soon. You are truly the best. I have written a cable car confessions post for you and it should be up tomorrow.

Allison M. said...

AH! that's an awesome list and thanks for selecting me.

Sassy Britches said...

ANOTHER award for you over at my blog...come see!

Laura said...

Thank you for my award again and I posted on it today my darling.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes