Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Funny conversation, held via text message

After I spent fifteen minutes clearing my car of snow and ice to go to work, I pulled out of my driveway and promptly got stuck on ice on the opposite side of the road. So now my car is stuck, I'm wet and cold, I'm nearly out of cat litter (since I used most of it trying to get unstuck), and I'm obviously not at work. So here's a story for you all:

My friend Elle, Mr. Darling and I watched the second Chronicles of Narnia movie a few weeks ago, and Elle really liked it. She hadn't seen The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe yet, so when I talked to her on the phone last night, she said she had rented it and was going to watch it. Half an hour after we got off the phone, we had this conversation:

Elle (via text): Are these even the same actors?
Tova: Yeah. Unless you got an old version?
Elle: I don't know. Is Lucy really fat and ugly in the first movie?
Tova: Hahahaha! I think maybe you got the version that was made in 1988.
Elle: Dangit!
Elle: That explains a LOT!
Elle: Why would they have that in redbox?
Tova: Hahaha! I have no idea, but I'm cracking up over here!
Elle: It is without a doubt the BBC version from 1988.
Tova: That is too funny!
Elle: Funny for you!
Tova: I can't stop laughing
Elle: Mean!
Elle: These costumes are terrible!
Tova: Why are you still watching it?
Elle: I really have nothing better to do. I checked redbox online and they don't have the new movie.
Tova: Did you get to the parts with the animatronic lion yet?
Elle: No. Right now I'm watching a gigantic ridiculous beaver.
Tova: Yes!! I forgot all about that! I remember watching that movie when I was little.
Elle: You must have had a LOT of spare time.
Tova: We didn't have cable. We were very easily amused.

Before anyone thinks Elle was being mean by calling Lucy fat and ugly, I offer these pictures for your consideration:

Lucy, 2005
And Lucy, 1988

20 comments:

The Polka Dotted Owl said...

Gotta luv the BBC! It took me awhile to actually watch the new Chronicles. I was still having BIG BEAVER flashbacks.

kim said...

Believe it or not, I did the EXACT same thing a few years ago, but from Blockbuster. I kept saying, "When does the cool witch that was in Constantine show up? When does the CGI stuff happen? This is AWFUL!!!"

Mrs. Newlywed said...

Oh my gosh! I completely remember watching that in grade school after we read the books for class.

Ohhh goodness...

Sassy Britches said...

Oh, that is horrid! But you know, BBC is always about real people, aren't they? They show it like it really is, chubby bucktoothed kids and all. I suppose there's something to be said for that. However, Lucy 2005 is way more angelic and innocent looking!

skinnylattemama said...

LMAO!!! BBC is CRAZY!!!! Btw~ I LOVE the movies!!

Gwen said...

Was Lucy 1988 also the giant, ridiculous beaver?

Moi said...

hilarious!! I remember seeing the old one as well. We didnt have cable either...
cure post!

Jossie Posie said...

Oh wow, poor poor Lucy. Why would they cast that girl??

Former Fat Chick said...

BWA-hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- *gasp* BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriouslty, I side hurts, that KID! hahahaaaaaaaa

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

I wonder where 1988 Lucy is now?

Dr Zibbs said...

1988 Lucy has always cleaned her plate.

Laura said...

Haha - I also remember that version. I haven't seen the new one yet.

Janet said...

Holy SHIT, I always say there's no such thing as ugly children but DAMN.

.::~P~::. said...

AHAHA wow

...big difference in looks

So Not Mom-a-licious said...

Ugh I remember having to watch that version in school. And I always thought it was weird. Sorry for the crapy weather! That sucks about the car. I don't miss those days!

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

Uh, yeah, fat and ugly.

ÄsK AliCë said...

Poor little fat Lucy! Oh the BBC is a riot.

Sorry to hear about the car troubles! Winter can end ANY TIME NOW!! Seriously.

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the laugh. Popping over from SITS!

Happy Wednesday! :o)

Tranquility said...

Wow - I remember watching the originals, but I didn't remember poor little Lucy looking that way!

I loved those movies as a kid, but I confess that I like the newer versions much, much more!


PS - bloggy awards for you over at my page!

ladychan101 said...

I remember watching that movie in the second grade after reading the books. A lot of people told me I looked like the girl who played Lucy, only slightly thinner (I was a chubby child and I have a baby face with cherub cheeks XD).

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes