Saturday, January 10, 2009

I'm crafty

I have a habit of doing this thing where I get really, really enthusiastic about something, I invest a ton of time and effort into it, and then I get bored of it after a few months. Last year, I did that with making jewelry and going to craft fairs. See, I'd randomly decided to make a ton of jewelry from vintage and antique b.uttons and sell them at craft fairs. I went to about four craft fairs, got bored, and stopped going to anymore. But then I had like 80 pieces of jewelry and nowhere to sell them. I listed some on etsy, but then never really promoted it, so now I have two boxes full of this stuff and, realistically, I am probably not going to get around to going to craft fairs again anytime in the next year.

So, I just noticed the other day that another blogger (I forget who, or I'd totally give them credit. If you think it was your blog, leave a comment taking credit - I don't mind) has an awesome little Etsy mini on the side of their blog. And I was like, "Hey! I have an Etsy! Maybe I can be cool like this other blogger whose name I've now forgotten!" But then I realized that most of my listings had expired, and then I got distracted by something (probably work - it's always getting in the way of my quality 9-5 blogging time), and I didn't get around to it.

Then, this weekend, I was sitting around on my lazy rump, and I figured I'd list my etsy on my blog since I wasn't really doing anything else (except watching Family Feud, which hardly counts.)

Anyway... my etsy and some of the pendants I made are now on my sidebar. If you feel like checking it out, go for it. If not, I'm not offended. I'm just listing it so I look productive. And I promise that my next post will not be one suggesting you go to some website just because I have nothing better to do than ask people to go places.

15 comments:

Janah @ So Not Mom-a-licious said...

"I'm just listing it so I look productive"
That had me cracking up! Is that all I have to do to get my husband off my back and get him to think that I am really doing more than just blogging? Sign meup! Can I sell all the thousands of beads I bought 3 years ago...one at a time?
For realsies though, that stuff you made is cool! And I hope that you are unable to unload some of your stash for cash!

Dr Zibbs said...

Check out Wendy Brandes Jewelry. She's a blogger and makes some great stuff. She left the first comment on my current post if you want her link.

You should show a link to your Etsy page in the sidebar.

As a matter of fact, if you write a post showing some of the stuff, I'll write a post about it and maybe drive some traffic your way. Because I like you so much.

MuseSwings said...

I didn't know about etsy! I have about 90 bracelets that I made but have not done anything with except put them up in the closet. Tour cuter that a buttons are beautiful!

Janet said...

Aww, that's a great idea, especially considering a lot of girly bloggers are really into buying handmade stuff...really nice, and the stuff you made is adorable.

MuseSwings said...

Lemme try that again... Your "cuter than a buttons" are beautiful!

Tova Darling said...

Janah - Hahaha, well, it's worked for me (the making my husband think I'm productive thing). You should give it a shot!! And thanks!

Dr. Zibbs - She's great! Thanks for telling me about her! And I might have to take you up on your offer.

MuseSwings - You should do it!! Get an etsy! It's way easier than craft shows. :) and thanks!

Janet - thank you!!

Sassy Britches said...

How adorable! I've been heary about etsy left, right, and center recently, so I'm off to check it out!

LegalMist said...

Your buttons are very cute!

Call Me Cate said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I look forward to following you.

Cheryl said...

What's the point of spending hours writing in your blog, and reading/commenting other people's blogs if you're not going to advertise/sell your things. It's only logical.

PS, they are awesome.

That damn expat said...

They are cute. You are crafty, Tova!

ÄsK AliCë said...

So cute! :)

Smalls said...

Ha ha, I totally understand your hobby boredom! I am the exact same way. I get really into something, then exactly 3 months later I drop it cause I'm bored. Hence why by now I've tried every hobby known to man.

Hey, let's just tell ourselves it's not because we have hobby commitment issues, it's because we are really smart and the learning period is what we yearn for. Once the skill is acquired, we get bored?

Right, right.... :P

Laura said...

I always wanted to collect buttons when I was younger - so fun and colorful....I liked to collect a lot of things...rocks, coins, stamps, Lisa Frank stuff, perfume bottles.

Fancy Schmancy said...

Your jewelry is adorable! I especially like how Etsy cuts off the description at "teal and brown butt..."

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes