Monday, January 26, 2009

The one in which Tova manages not to poison her entire Sunday School class

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I teach Sunday School at my church. I have the two- and three-year-old class, which is fun and hilarious and often chaotic, as there are eight of them, and I only have two hands.

I spend the majority of the class time telling or reading Bible stories in funny voices and being really, really animated in order to keep their attention. They get off on tangents really easily, like a few weeks ago when I was telling them about Daniel and the lion's den, and one little boy kept asking me why a train didn't bite the lions. Needless to say, getting them to pay attention is sometimes hard, but one thing they ALWAYS pay attention to is snack time. Snack time is very, very important. So last week, being the awesome teacher that I am, I brought them peanut butter crackers. Specifically, these peanut butter crackers:

Austin peanut butter crackers made by Kellogg's. (Some of you who have watched or read the news lately know exactly where this is going.)

The kids loved the crackers and stuffed their adorable little faces full of them. Then, Monday or Tuesday morning, I logged onto MSNBC, and I saw the headline, "FDA confirms salmonella in Kellogg's crackers," and I almost fell out of my chair.

So I read the article, and yep, sure enough, I fed my kids the crackers that have now been recalled because at least one pack was confirmed to have salmonella in the peanut butter. Hurrah. Have you ever had to contact the parents of eight toddlers and let them know that you may have inadvertently fed their children salmonella? No? Well, let me tell you, it's a good time.

Luckily for everyone, it turns out that these particular crackers were salmonella-free, although I did have another tiny panic attack when one little boy was missing from Sunday School this week and his dad said it was because he was sick. It turns out that "sick" meant a cold as opposed to vomiting and diarrhea, so that was good.

This week, the kids got animal crackers (and not the kind with icing), but I was still nervous. If anyone wants to volunteer a snack recipe that involves cooking all ingredients at 500 degrees for an hour or two, I'm all ears.

15 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

Oh, my word! Crisis averted! I think maybe the man upstairs was looking out for you! ;)

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

LOL My two year old loves those crackers, well not the crackers he eats the peanut butter out and throws the cracker anywhere he can. I was freakin out too but seems he is fine so we were safe! :)

Denise said...

I would have been just as panicked as you! Thankfully my church only provides cherrios or goldfish.

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

You should always try and avoid peanut butter (as much as kids love it) because there are so many kids with allergies to tree nuts now. My GF's 3 yo has to have an Epi pen on her at ALL TIMES, she's so allergic to peanuts. She can't have regular birthday cake, her mom has to bring a special cupcake for her. It's sad...

Dingo said...

Do they still make the animal crackers with icing? I loved those!

I always feel sorry for the kids allergic to peanut butter. I just don't know if it's possible to have a normal childhood without peanut butter. They must need therapy at some point.

The Panic Room said...

I can't imagine how you must have felt watching that report roll in on MSNBC. jaw dropper.

Glad everyone was okay. Try feeding them gruel. That has been safe for centuries :)

Ann's Rants said...

Reminds me of finding out the day after my wedding that the chicken was raw inside. No salmonella for my guests, either THANKGOD!!!!

Mrs. Newlywed said...

PHEW!

We had the same issue this week. I sent a letter home with all of the students letting the parents know I had fed them crackers.

Seems they are all okay!

MuseSwings said...

Let's see....2 hours at 500 degrees... that would be coal no matter what the ingredients. Crackers served at Sunday School are free of everything except blessings.

giraffegirl524 said...

so glad to hear everyone is ok! at my church, the kids always come out with laffy taffy's (the little ones) or some little candy.. i know it's not the healthiest thing, but at least they won't get salmonella! haha... i don't know :( good luck though!

Laura said...

haha yeah - I'm pretty sure my husband has been eating those all week...I'll have to give him the memo.

By the way - this is a random question, but how did you get sidebars on both sides? I've been trying to figure out how to do that for quite some time now with no luck!

Moi said...

Oh my goodness! That is terrible - I am just about ready to boycott all Peanut Butter.

Cora said...

I used to teach preschool. I can absolutely imagine how you felt. Just thank goodness everyone is alright! :-)

Allison M. said...

Holy patience you must have to teach them. salmonella or no salmonella

Fancy Schmancy said...

I know the post was about salmonella, but I was more fascinated by the fact that one woman is willing to tackle eight 2-3 year olds. Good lord, woman, what are you thinking? There should be 2 adults for every one of them!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes