Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tova's own brownie recipe

Once a month, we have a potluck lunch at work, and this time, I was asked to bring a dessert. Since my broccoli casserole recipe was pretty popular among my readers, I decided to share my brownie recipe, too.

Instructions for making Tova Darling's Famous Brownies

1. Forget that you agreed to make dessert until the night before the potluck lunch.

2. Panic because your car is stuck in a snow drift so you can't even get to the store to buy ingredients or, better yet, a pre-made dessert.

3. Rummage around in the pantry until you find a box of brownie mix.

4. Follow the instructions on the box, but make sure not to pay close attention to trivial details like measurements.

5. Wonder why the brownie batter is so thin and watery.

6. Panic when you realize that the instructions on the box (which only required you to add three ingredients and stir) called for 1/4 cup of water and that you added one full cup of water instead.

7. Run back to the pantry to see if you have another box of brownie mix.

8. You don't.

9. Frantically search the kitchen for something that you can add to the brownie batter to soak up some extra water while also not making the brownies taste like crap.

10. Empty a few packets of hot chocolate mix into the brownie batter.

11. Bake at 350 degrees for an unspecified amount of time, because the directions don't include a baking time for brownie batter + 3/4 cup extra water + hot chocolate mix.

12. Graciously accept compliments on your brownies.

19 comments:

.::~P~::. said...

AHAHAHAH I just love your recipe postings!

I never thought of adding hot chocolate... very smart actually...

giraffegirl524 said...

so.. were they good? =]

Sassy Britches said...

BeYOND resourceful. I'm assuming they were fab?

Tova Darling said...

Actually, yes! They were really good! Just an odd consistency for brownies. Also, they looked funny.

Tranquility said...

OMG - and did you actually try them yourself? I think the hot cocoa mix is a very creative choice - much more fitting than extra flour or cornstarch! Sounds like they had the potential to be extra delicious! ;)

RB said...

I also want to know if you tried them yourself! I am a fan of brownies and cocoa mix..I may have to try it intentionally :-)

Not The Rockefellers said...

Sometimes genuis is created during desperate times!

Peace - Rene

jlc said...

Yummmmmmm. Brownies are my weakness.


Thought I'd say hi and de-lurk stopped by a few times and have to say I enjoy your writing. :)

Call Me Cate said...

I'm certain this is how all cherished family recipes start out.

Impulsive Addict said...

Just stopping by from....not sure. I think I clicked on a few to find you. This is the funniest thing I've read all day! Loved it! And since I've boycotted my favorite dessert, it has made me want some brownies RIGHT NOW!

Kassandra said...

GREAT, now you are making me hungry and I'm going to go make brownies haha.

Laura said...

Great idea!

Ryan Ashley Scott@Optimistic Cynicism said...

This is the funniest recipe I've read in my life! You should bake more often... if only to humor us.

Kristy said...

Oh my goodness that is hilarious!!!

Anniebanannie said...

WOW...would have never thought of hot chocolate mix! What a resourceful individual you are!!! Way to go you.

I'm visiting from Impulsive Addict and totally will be back. I'm a fan!

LegalMist said...

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Mmmmm, brownies....."


Also, I've given you a "Premio Dardos" award -- check it out here if you would like to accept the award:

http://legalmist.blogspot.com/2009/01/another-fine-award.html

Gwen said...

Hahahaha! I can't remember what I was making but I once added grape kool-aid mix to something because I messed up. It worked.

Mrs. Forever said...

haha - love it!

Cora said...

I love, love, LOVE your recipes, Tova! You should do a recipe book. I'm sooo not kidding. Part comedy, part ingenuity - it would be fabulous!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes