Instructions for making Tova Darling's Famous Brownies
1. Forget that you agreed to make dessert until the night before the potluck lunch.
2. Panic because your car is stuck in a snow drift so you can't even get to the store to buy ingredients or, better yet, a pre-made dessert.
3. Rummage around in the pantry until you find a box of brownie mix.
4. Follow the instructions on the box, but make sure not to pay close attention to trivial details like measurements.
5. Wonder why the brownie batter is so thin and watery.
6. Panic when you realize that the instructions on the box (which only required you to add three ingredients and stir) called for 1/4 cup of water and that you added one full cup of water instead.
7. Run back to the pantry to see if you have another box of brownie mix.
8. You don't.
9. Frantically search the kitchen for something that you can add to the brownie batter to soak up some extra water while also not making the brownies taste like crap.
10. Empty a few packets of hot chocolate mix into the brownie batter.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for an unspecified amount of time, because the directions don't include a baking time for brownie batter + 3/4 cup extra water + hot chocolate mix.
12. Graciously accept compliments on your brownies.