Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays

It's Tuesday, which means it's time for another Totally Awkward Tuesday! After you've read my awkward moment, post your own so that everyone can laugh at you... I mean laugh with you!

Last week, I mentioned that I'd once gotten stuck in an elevator, and then it occurred to me that it was a pretty awkward situation, so I could probably tell the story for Totally Awkward Tuesday.

Here's what happened:

Throughout high school and college, I went to a youth conference once a year, and I had two really good friends who attended with me. (As it turns out, Mr. Darling also went to the conference once or twice, but we didn't remember each other when we met again later.)

The conference was held in a nice hotel which had a lobby with three elevators in it. One year, someone discovered that if you jumped up and down while the elevator was going down, it made your stomach feel funny, so, being 19 and moronic, my two friends and I thought this was an extremely amusing form of entertainment. We're all pretty small, and our average weight at the time was probably somewhere around 110 pounds each. But in case you were wondering whether or not 330 pounds crashing repeatedly to the floor of a moving elevator can break it, the answer is yes. Yes, it can.

On the second night of the conference, the three of us were riding down on the elevator to attend a session, and as we rode, we were counting, "onetwothree JUMP! onetwothree JUMP!" On our third "onetwothree JUMP," the elevator lurched to a stop, and the three of us tumbled to the floor, laughing. The elevator refused to start again. So after a minute or two, I picked up the emergency phone, still laughing hysterically, and said "Um (giggle giggle giggle), excuse me, I'm sorry, but... (giggle giggle giggle)... we're stuck in the elevator!" For some inexplicable reason, the hotel employees didn't find it quite as funny as we did. In fact, they were quite put off that three teenage girls had broken their elevator and that hotel employees had to spend an hour and a half trying to free us. So, after we finally got out, the conference leaders had to make an example of us and deter future jumping by making us feel like idiots - we got called up to the front of the audience to accept an "award" for managing to break an elevator. That in itself was pretty awkward, but it gets better...

Fast forward to a few years later, when Mr. Darling and I had just started dating and were still in the phase of our relationship where I was trying to come off as "always-sophisticated-and-sexy" Tova as opposed to "sometimes-has-the-maturity-level-of-a-12-year-old-boy" Tova. We were talking with some friends, and the subject of elevators came up, so of course I had to share my "one time I got stuck in an elevator for an hour and a half" story, but since I was still trying to impress Mr. D, I told the edited version: the one in which the elevator gets stuck, but the reason for it getting stuck (me jumping up and down like a five year old) is conveniently left out.

So, I'm at the part where we were stuck in this hotel elevator for an hour and a half, when suddenly Mr. Darling interrupts me with, "Wait! That was you? I was at the conference that year! Weren't you guys jumping and you broke the elevator? Now I remember seeing you before! My friends and I made fun of you guys all week!"

In other words, Mr. Darling's very first impression of me was not, "wow, that girl is hot and brilliant," but, "wow, what kind of idiot jumps up and down in an elevator?" Luckily for me, he had forgotten his first impression until after I had another chance to captivate him with my charm.

Now it's your turn! Post your Totally Awkward Tuesday story on your blog, link back to mine, and then comment to let me know you participated! I'll link back to your blog, and we can all share in the fun of laughing at each other's misfortunes!

Then, check out these other Totally Awkward Bloggers:
Sassy over at Well Okay, Sassy Britches!
PJ at It is what it is, sometimes posted a story last week but forgot to tell me, so here's last week's awkwardness, and here's this week's.
Morgan the Muse at Insert Clever Name Here
Ann at Ann's Rants: Confessions of a Work Week Widow
Moi at Going Overboard
That Damn Expat at That Damn Expat
Jules at Weekly Jules
B.E. Earl at The Verdant Dude
A. at Snarky Much?
Adriana at From KS to PA
Janet at Starting over... two baby steps at a time.
Cora at Love Letters by Cora
Kelly at This is how I choose to remember it
Raf at The power of words
Julia at Sometimes Lucid

28 comments:

Morgan the Muse said...

Hey, ow. That is kind of cool though, he knew of you. Anyway, I have my post all..posted. :S I am tired, and so I am sorry if my post reflects that.

Ann's Rants said...

Ahh...good clean elevator fun. Wonder if that was your gateway to, to...heroine? Anyway, come over an enjoy some awkwardness of a very very different and well, gynocological variety.
xo

MuseSwings said...

OUCH! What a hoot - "Oh that was you?" I'd like to meet just one person who hasn't jumped in an elevator. Excellent awkward story!

Moi said...

great story! Here is mine! http://reflectionsofmoi.blogspot.com/2009/01/totally-awkward-tuesdays.html

That damn expat said...

Honestly Tova, that's so juvenile. I LOVE IT!! And I'm sure that only endeared you to Mr D.

I posted an awkward story too!

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

I always had heard that jumping up and down woulod break an elevator but I was always to chicken to see if it acually was true! : )

Jules said...

So, jumping on the elevator is a bad thing I shouldn't be teaching my kids to do?? Uh-oh.

My Awkward Post for the week is here:
http://weeklyjules.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-
summer-vacation-part-ii-iv-clubbing.html

I found calling my husbands at midnight to tell him my wallet was stolen was difficult. Telling him I was out with, among others, my old high school boyfriend was humiliating. The weekend was capped off by trying to "blend" at a club in Chicago. Have a great week!

B.E. Earl said...

Nice! As I told That Damn Expat, I have a top 10 list that is way more embarrassing than that.

http://beearl.blogspot.com/2008/06/10-embarrasssing-moments.html

pj said...

Um yeah. Kinda awkward. But funny. Doesn't everyone jump up and down in elevators?

Oh and I posted last week and this week so I am one ahead! I am nerdy like that. This week could be my best yet.

Call Me Cate said...

Too funny! I've been stuck in an elevator once but it wasn't due to jumping. And it resulted in a panic attack so not nearly as fun as your story!

Adriana said...

Fun story...maybe it just means that you and Mr. Darling were destined to be together. I participated!

Anne Elizabeth said...

That is freaking hilarious!

Sassy Britches said...

Sheesh. I think it's totally cool that you guys did that and got stuck! I can't understand why anyone would make FUN of you guys for it--ahhh, teenagers! Glad that Mr. Darling didn't hold it against you! :)

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

I'm starting to LOOOOVE Tuesdays...

Janet said...

Oh. My. GOD. Talk about fate!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A. said...

That is hilarious! I love Tuesdays.
I'm glad you enjoyed my awkward story.

LegalMist said...

Awesome story, Tova, and awesome idea for a theme. I have "totally" enjoyed reading everyone's "totally awkward" moments.

If I can get past my lawyer's fear of appearing to be anything less than brilliant at all times and dredge up some suppressed memories of awkward hilarity, I will join in the fun one of these Tuesdays. :)

Former Fat Chick said...

cute! I promis next week I will join the ranks of the totally akward!

Janet said...

YAY! I did my FIRST (and probably LAST) totally awkward Tuesday...thank you for the inspiration! =)

http://janetsbabysteps.blogspot.com

WendyB said...

Bwah ha ha! Awesome story.

Cora said...

Hilarious story - I LOVE IT!!!! What a first impression! Hee hee hee.

I participated too. Sorry it's soooo late though. Better late than never? :-)

HairDizzer said...

hehe.... loved the elevator story. Now come read my bare booty story!!!!

TuTu's Bliss said...

I can't stand elevators. I've been known to walk ridiculous amounts of stairs to avoid them altogether. I love awkward Tuesdays, brilliant!

Errant said...

what a funny story .. teenagers do the funniest stuff unaware of the consequences ..

raf said...

Hi Tova!I'm partecipating as well to this wonderful tuesday posts!
It's a great idea!

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Better late than never right? I am posting mu "Totally Awkward Tuesday" post today, Wednesday, instead.

Mrs4444 said...

Kismet, right? Isn't that the word? That is AWESOME. Great story (the part about your husband having been at that same conference.)

Fancy Schmancy said...

I'm going to have to post something next week, maybe. Totally enjoyed this, thanks.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes