Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays

Ok, I should probably post the rules for Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays for any new readers who want to play along, so here they are. 1. Think of an awkward story that happened to you. 2. Blog about it, and if you're feeling loving, link to my blog from yours. 3. Post a link to your totally awkward post in the Mr. Linky box below. 4. Ta Da! You're Totally Awkward!

So, here's mine: When Mr. Darling and I were engaged, he was hanging out with me at my house, and we drove my car to the store. The trip was uneventful and my car performed like a champ. Two hours later, we went to drive my car again and... it wouldn't start. I turned the key and the radio and dashboard lights came on, but the engine didn't do anything. It didn't even make any noise that would make you go "Well, that doesn't sound good!" It just sat there and did nothing.

So, for the next few days, Mr. D had to cart my butt to and from work, because I had no car. My brother-in-law went to my apartment while I was at work to see if he could fix my car. He and Mr. D tested everything they could think to test on my car. They raised it with car jacks and looked under it, they tested the battery, they tried everything they could think of, but it was all to no avail. My bro-in-law ascertained that it wasn't the battery, it wasn't the alternator, and it wasn't the starter, but he couldn't determine what the problem was.

Feeling extremely disheartened, I called AAA to come tow my car to an auto repair place. The tow truck driver showed up shortly after, and I told him my tale of woe. He took my key and climbed in to try to start the car. It didn't start, of course, so he pulled back the shift lever (my car's an automatic) to neutral, pushed it back to park, turned the key, and...my car started.

Turns out that while my car looked like it was in park, the lever hadn't actually been pushed forward the whole way, because (wait for it), I had pulled my CUP HOLDER out too far, so the car wouldn't start because it wasn't technically in park. So, the tow truck driver got out and very patiently explained to me that if my car wouldn't start again, I should push in the cup holder, and then make sure that my car was in park.

My face was bright red when I tipped the tow truck driver for "fixing" my car.

Ok, so... that's my story. What's yours?

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays Participants
1. missBee
2. Raf
3. Sassy Britches
4. Half-Past Kissin\' Time
5. From Kansas to PA
6. Moi
7. Former Fat Chicks- cheap motel debacle
8. Morgan
9. Cora
10. Fancy Schmancy
11. Weekly Jules

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

22 comments:

missBee said...

Sounds like something I would do. Or have done!

Bella@That damn expat said...

Definitely cute awkward!

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

OMG!! I had a similar thin ghappen recently but mine happen when I was putting it in to park after drive and then couldn't get my key out of the ignition for about 24 hours!

Sassy Britches said...

Huge "Ooops!" How embarrassing! :) Nice touch with the tip though; very classy.

Mrs4444 said...

Wow-I can't fault you on that one, because it sounds too familiar! Thanks for hosting TAT! :)

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

Only you TD. No, really, only you.

pj said...

My dad taught me the word ASS at a young age. Always Something Simple. I think this story opened an enitre library of awkward moments.

B.E. Earl said...

Love the link widgety thing. But I gave you 10 awkward moments last week. Think I'll skip a week. :)

Moi said...

great story! Love the linky - much easier!

Greta said...

Oh, that IS so embarrasing. Probably about as embarrasing as the time I called my dad freaking out because my car wouldn't start and it turned out I'd just was way out of gas.

Hello, by the way. I love you blog.

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

LOL That is hilarious...sound slike something that would totally happen to me. : )

Dr Zibbs said...

That's something I would do.

Former Fat Chick said...

Kept my word and posted...btw, are you watching Momma's Boy? You should, in my mind your mother in law is one of the old bats on that show! hahahaaaaa, of course, when I go, OMG, that must be Tova's MIL- The man goes: WHO?

Laura said...

haha - so something that would happen to me!

Callista said...

Oh no!!!

Morgan the Muse said...

Oh, I have done things like that before. Ouch.

Cora said...

I did a similar thing, Tova. In my opinion, it is NOT our fault - they just need to make cars better.

Fancy Schmancy said...

I finally played. But, you win!

Jules said...

Love it when the expert gets to school me in the ways of the world like that! (honest to goodness, I once called an electrician to repair an outdoor light. turned out it just needed a new bulb.)

I put a permanent link to TTAT on the right column of my blog that I can re-plug with each Tuesday post. Hope it works, I would hate to have to call a computer repair person to help me...

Scope said...

Tova;

As part of a new series I am running called "6° of Scope-aration" I have linked to your blog in today's post.

I hope you don't mind.

[LINK]

raf said...

I love the TAT!..but I wonder..why only women write it? Are men too shy to admit they've been awkward?
I'd been delighted to read some of their awkward moments...

So Not Mom-a-licious said...

Figures huh? But it made for a good story!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes