Friday, February 27, 2009

Apparently, I'm not punk

... not that this comes as a surprise or anything.

I live in the suburbs of a major U.S. city. Major as in, I guarantee that every one of my readers has heard of it, knows which state it's in, can easily list three facts about it, and can find it on a map (unless you're geographically challenged, like me.) So, it was pretty exciting for my friend Holly when she learned that her brother's band was going to be playing in a reasonably well-known club in the city. She asked me to come to the show last night, and I agreed to join her to support her brother, who I went to high school with, even though I was pretty sure that his band didn't really play the type of music I like to listen to. As it turns out, the type of music they do play is the kind that sounds like this:

"ARRGGHHHHH BLAAAHHHHH RARGHHHH GRRRRR" (Mosh pit, mosh pit, mosh pit, some guy falls on the floor and almost gets trampled.)

I could not understand a single word that her brother (the lead singer) was singing/shouting. Another interesting tidbit about this concert was that, when I showed up at the door, ID in hand, nobody seemed interested in seeing it. Not the bouncer at the door, not the person who took my money. No one. At first, I felt slightly offended, because I figured they all thought I looked so obviously over 21 that they didn't even need to bother with my ID. Then I realized that the band was really popular with the under-21 crowd, so the place was filled with high school kids, and there was no alcohol being served downstairs. Fortunately, the club had a second level which looks down onto the show but had the added bonus of not featuring a mosh pit AND of being exclusively for people who were older than 21. Despite the teeming masses of kids with dyed hair and facial piercings downstairs, the second level only had about 20 people in it, which meant that Holly and I were among the very oldest people in the entire club. Sweet.

We laughed about not fitting in at the club and Holly said, "We don't even fit in with the people who don't fit in! I want to slit my wrists!" To which I replied, "Hey, now you fit in!"

After the noise... I mean music... was finished, we said hi to Holly's brother and then left to go to a "grown up" hangout. I left at about 10 to go home and go to bed, and I listened to some Phil Vassar on the way home to soothe my poor ears. If not liking punk (alternative? What musical genre was that anyway??) music means I'm old, this is one time I'm proud to be old. But you better believe that if the band ever makes it really big, I'm going to name drop all over the place and brag about knowing the lead singer "way back when." I can even fake knowing the lyrics to all of their songs, since it's not like anyone knows what they're saying anyway.

19 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

Haha! I love your conversation with Holly! Touche!

And my BFF in high school dated a boy who was in one of those bands. We hung out in garages all the time and "listened" to them play gigs. I didn't even like it then, so I think it's not about being old--it's a matter of taste! And I'm going with controversial here and venturing a guess that yours and mine are a bit more "refined." Tee-hee.

B.E. Earl said...

26 is old?

Ouch. I passed by 26 over 16 years ago. Double ouch.

(but I do like that kind of music, so...)

Snarky A. said...

Ha ha, I love the not-fitting-in conversation. And, I feel the same way as you: if this is getting old, old is good.

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

I still like to "pretend" that I am young and listen to Top 40. I NEVER did understand punk rock!

BTW, I left you an award on my blog :)

Anne Elizabeth said...

I listened to a lot of punk when I was in HS. I'm going to be 28 in March. Anyways... I can't stand it now. I don't know how I ever did the whole mosh pit thing. My ears are ringing just from reading your description of the music. lol

Miss E said...

I loved your story. Def had my punk phase which thankfully ended (purpe hair and all) sometime during college. I'm completely reformed now...and feel very old when I muse on the whole guys-wearing-girls-jeans thing while walking through the mall.

Have a great weekend!

.::~P~::. said...

AHAHAHAH I would want to slit my wrists being in that situation too...

I used to love "punk" music before I went to college 5 years ago, now I can't even stand it. I prefer mellow classics.

Moi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Moi said...

hilarious! I felt old when I went into the Abercrombie store and although I still liked the music all I could think was, "this is way too loud..what is the purpose of this?"...

Hohni said...

Skid Row is coming to a town VERY close to my house, I'm so hoping that Hubby will want to go!!!

Impulsive Addict said...

You must be speaking about my brothers band. I have yet to go and hear them play. My hearing is way to important for that shiz.

Girl On A Journey said...

"We don't even fit in with the people who don't fit in! I want to slit my wrists!" To which I replied, "Hey, now you fit in!"
lmao!!!!

Tranquility said...

Haha... I don't think I was 'punk' even when I was the appropriate age to be so!

I guess you weren't alone in your desire to get out of the mosh pit, since the club was prepared with the loft area! ;)

Too funny!

SkylersDad said...

Really, I had no idea you lived in Casper Wyoming. That's just up across the border, we could meet up for lunch at a truck stop!

No? I guessed your city incorrectly?

Former Fat Chick said...

What, I so thought you were PUNK...um you had that shirt with the safety pins in it!!!

Mrs4444 said...

That is VERY funny. Loved the slit wrists comment. Being old isn't so bad.... :)

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I think it has less to do with being old, more to do with having ears.

And when you name-drop all over the place, we're going to know where you live! :)

Fancy Schmancy said...

You feeling old is making me feel ancient...

eda said...

潤滑液,SM,內衣,性感內衣,自慰器,充氣娃娃,AV,

情趣按摩棒,自慰套,角色扮演,按摩棒,跳蛋,情趣跳蛋,
按摩棒,電動按摩棒,飛機杯,視訊,自慰套,自慰套,情趣用品,情趣內衣,

.,
情趣,G點,性感丁字褲,情趣,角色扮演服,吊帶襪,丁字褲,情趣用品,無線跳蛋,男女,

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes