Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesday

It's Tuesday - the day we all share stories about how awkward we are! Here are the rules: 1. Think of an awkward story that happened to you and then blog about it. 2. Link to my blog from yours. 3. Post a link to your totally awkward post in the Mr. Linky box below. 4. Ta Da! You're Totally Awkward!

Here's my story:

My sophomore year of college, I took a class that used a particularly expensive textbook (and that's saying something, since most textbooks are outrageously priced anyway). To avoid bankrupting all of his students, the professor suggested that we get into groups of two or three, buy the book as a group, and then we could turn in our assignments as a group. In the class with me was a good friend of mine who played for the school football team. He was a year ahead of me, but we had the same major, so we took a lot of classes together and had the same advisor (actually, come to think of it, there's another really, really embarrassing story that has to do with him, too. If I get up the nerve, I might share it for next Tuesday.) Anyway, we were good friends, so as soon as the professor suggested we form groups, he asked if I'd like to be in a study group with him and one of his football teammates. I said yes, not only because he was my closest friend in the class but also because his teammate was really cute.

That night, I was hanging out with a group of girls in my dorm, and I mentioned that I was going to be in a study group with these two guys and that one of them was extremely cute (not that the other wasn't, but we'd been friends for a year and he had a girlfriend, so being in his group wasn't really news.) I couldn't remember the cute guy's last name, but my school had a directory that had a picture of each student in it (talk about a stalker's dream come true), so I ran to get it and look him up. When I found his picture, I ran in to show the other girls, and I squealed in typical girly fashion, "Isn't he sooo cute?" I passed his picture around, and everyone agreed that he was definitely attractive.

The next time we had class, he sat down next to me and said, "So, I hear you have a crush on me?" I was like, "What? No I don't!" To which he replied, "Yeah, you do. Someone told me that you showed my picture to a bunch of your friends and said I was 'sooo cute.'"

Ummm.... awesome. That wasn't uncomfortable at all. Nor was the fact that for the whole rest of the semester, I had to go to his apartment once a week to work on assignments. And that he kept trying to convince me to make out with him, even though he had a girlfriend, because he knew I thought he was "sooo cute."

Actually, we ended up becoming good friends, but I still cringe every time I think about him confronting me with my squealing about how cute he was. Also, to this day, I never found out which girl ratted me out.

Post a link to your Totally Awkward post below. But please don't just include a random link to your blog if you didn't participate. Because where's the fun in that?

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays Participants
1. Kelly
2. Wilwarin
3. Snarky
4. Sassy Britches
5. Raf
6. Bella@That damn expat
7. Adriana
8. Weekly Jules
9. Annsrants
10. Amy @ Bitchin\' Wives Club
11. Morgan
12. Cora
13. Former Fat Chick- going to HELL!
14. Emma
15. Fancy Schmancy
16. Ryan Ashley Scott
17. Up Rooted
18. Laura
19. *E*
20. Emily & Hannah
21. Kim

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

26 comments:

HairDizzer said...

oh my goodness!!!! how embarrassing! wow... I really feel your pain on this one. Stupid girls can never keep secrets lol. I posted an awkward and rather silly story. Please enjoy!

Errant said...

awwx you are sooo cute !!

Wilwarin said...

Oh, that would be so bad! you should have told him that ALL the other girls agreed so that he'd think the rat liked him as well!lol

Sassy Britches said...

Yeeesh. Definitely cringe-worthy!

A. said...

Oh, deliciously awkward, for sure!
Thanks Tova Darling, for hosting another fabulous, awkward Tuesday!

Bella@That damn expat said...

Ugh. How awkward.

And yay for female solidarity, right?

Adriana said...

I don't think I could have let that go with my friends. I would have bugged and nagged until someone came clean or gave someone up. Awkward!

Son of a Thomas said...

Great story. I wish I could join in but I don't have an awkward gene.

Jules said...

Ha! I firmly believe that NOT making out with him more than made up for him knowing you thought he was soooo cuuuute! Way to go!

Call Me Cate said...

Yikes! Sounds like even though he was sooooo cute, he was a bit of a jerk if he wanted you to make out with him even though he had a girlfriend.

Ann's Rants said...

Ok, so you should've just smooched him right then and there. It was already so awkward, right??

Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub said...

Yeah, that sounds cringe-worthy. :) I can't believe one of those girls told him... or that he had the nerve to confront you about it knowing that you'd be working together all the time for the class. lol It is funny that he tried to get you to make out with him, though!

Morgan the Muse said...

That is why I try to never say anything about people I find attractive, because in a small area as this, they are bound to find out.

And as a couple weeks ago can attest, they could be related. o.o'

Moi said...

so funny!

Anniebanannie said...

OMG...yes, mortifying! I blush so easily that it would have been a total given. (I still blush to this day and HATE it!)

Cora said...

Which ever girl told him is a BRAT. That's just mean. Yikes!

Dr Zibbs said...

Oh dear!!!!!

Former Fat Chick said...

I hate those things that can still make you scrunch up your face years later! I HAVE TONS!!!!!

giraffegirl524 said...

i took a shot at totally awkward tuesdays!

Allison M. said...

Are you sure you didn't make out with him?

Fancy Schmancy said...

What an awkward bummer! Sorry my entry was so late, I've had it on my blog all day, and totally forgot to link to you!

Ryan Ashley Scott@Optimistic Cynicism said...

Girls rule, boys drool. Except for the girl who ratted you out, of course.

Up Rooted said...

Thanks for the award! Very awkward!

Tranquility said...

Haha, that is too funny!

~E said...

Oh...ouch!

Emily said...

That is impossibly awkward. =/ Yikes. I've had that happen to me before.. the dude is like, "You think I'm hawt." I'm like, "Psh.. I SOOOO don't." And he's like, "That's not what I heard..."

My hands got sweaty. And I started to say, "Uuhhhmmm uuuhmm uhhmm"

He just smiled & walked away. I did think he was cute.. and I did spread it around.. but who knew it would get back to him? Ugh.

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes