Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays

Oh my goodness, readers! I very nearly forgot about Totally Awkward Tuesday! Usually I write my awkward posts well in advance, but this time I completely forgot about it until Monday night. Luckily, when I was hanging out with some friends on Friday, I happened to remember and share a story which I will now share with you. But seriously, that was a close one!

Today's Totally Awkward post can also be filed under the heading "Things that would only happen to Tova."

Let's start by talking about television commercials. For some reason, stupid commercials really annoy me, and I make fun of them loudly and often... in fact I once wrote a post about that. (Take, for example, the Long John Silver's commercial that I have ridiculed to everyone I know. The one where three people are sitting at a picnic table with foil-wrapped hamburgers that they have obviously just purchased from a fast-food restaurant, and they're all looking really disappointed, and one of them says in disgust, "Hamburgers again?!?!" Umm, hello!!! If they didn't want hamburgers, why did they buy hamburgers?? Clearly, these people are too stupid to be allowed to make food purchases.)

Anyway, sometime last year, some of my coworkers and I were discussing stupid commercials. I'm not sure why we were discussing them, other than that I have a knack for seeking out awkward situations. After we'd all named some really terrible commercials, I mentioned a commercial for a local law firm. I'd always found the commercial to be particularly stupid, in large part because it involved cartoon characters, and it seems odd to me to combine something serious like lawsuits with something frivolous like a cartoon. Anyway, I'm describing the commercial, when one coworker says (and I swear I'm not making this up), "Oh, that's my commercial! The law firm made it for me!"

I laughed at first, until I realized that she was totally serious. It turns out that her dad had worked for said law firm, and she (my coworker) had been involved in an accident as a child that resulted in a lawsuit (against the other party). She was represented by her father's firm, and to make her feel better, the law firm had made a commercial specifically for her which talked about the type of accident that she'd been involved in.

In other words, of all the people in the world that I could have made fun of this commercial to, I chose the one person who had actual emotional ties to the commercial. And that is because I am amazingly awkward.

So, what's your story? Share something Totally Awkward with the world on your blog, then link to the post below!
Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays Participants
1. Snarky
2. Raf
3. Sassy Britches
4. Wilwarin
5. Annsrants
6. Moi
7. From KS to PA
8. Amy @ Bitchin\' Wives Club
9. Ryan Ashley Scott
10. Former Fat Chick @ 13!
11. Morgan
12. Tony@that one particular harbor
13. Cora
14. Smalls

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

31 comments:

Bella@That damn expat said...

Oh, that is awkward!

Was she offended or did she laugh it off?

Snarky A. said...

I am so glad that I am not the only one doing stuff like that! Did she laugh at least?

Sassy Britches said...

Oh, my word. Yes, "only happen to Tova!" That's MAJOR open-mouth-insert-foot material! I hope she was a good sport about it!

Wilwarin said...

I think it's a government conspiracy, that they plant people so if you say something bad, they automatically are intricately related to it! i never know what to do in those situations. i hope she laughed about it later!

Ann's Rants said...

Thank you for reminding me of the worst commercials I've ever seen--for a cheap-ass car insurance place in Chicago. It featured two supposed hotties and a grotesque chicken mascot who lays an enormous egg on their car. Awkward.

pj said...

Its a small world after all.

Moi said...

fabulously awkward tova! only you...

Call Me Cate said...

Eek! I hope she didn't hold it against you. You had absolutely no way of knowing!

Ryan Ashley Scott@Optimistic Cynicism said...

Did either of you run screaming from the scene? I think that situation might have called for a purse-dump/bag-over-head combo. How awkward!

Former Fat Chick said...

OMG, my husband is NOTORIOUS for pulling these ALL the time!

Laura said...

Eeeks! Was she upset??? How awkward!

SkylersDad said...

Making fun of somebodies commercial is awkward, but I asked and old friend I had not seen for about 3 years when she was due?

She responded I had the baby 5 months ago.

I just turned and walked away...

Cathy said...

Local commercials are always the worst - we have some *really* terrible ones around here. I hope she wasn't too offended...

Anne said...

Oh no! I always feel like "this would never happen to anyone else but me!"

raf said...

Ha ha!Great!In those moment would be great to have wings..

Morgan the Muse said...

ouch. How did she take it, though?

Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub said...

Oh... what are the chances?!?!?! That is Grade-A awkward material. Sorry!

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor said...

That is totally my luck. I am so used to speaking my mind. Around our house my wife has a phrase for it. "honey, you said that in your outdoor voice." Oh freaking well. Great story. Thanks for making me smile today. My post is not awkward, but have been told I have officially lost my mind.

penguinsandladybugs said...

Whoa! awkwaaaaaard! And thank you for pointing out the hamburgers stupidity. Hadn't thought of that! Funny!

Cora said...

oh, Tova! That is soooo something I would do. Hee hee hee.

Jules said...

Fabulous display of awkwardness, there!
If I may piggy-back on this comment, I would like to give an Amen to your grammar post too. Seriously. Big Bird never says, "you was" or "anyways" or "brung." Oscar doesn't even say "brung" on his grouchiest of days.
Have a great week!

Smalls said...

Ha, I love it! I always do that, saying something bad and it turns out it's the other person's favorite thing!

My husband and I were flipping thru a pet name website looking for a name for the lizard we had gotten (we just started dating so I didn't know his family). One of the suggestion was (changing name here, but for example) Sophie. I said "ugh, I hate that name" and now-hubby said "that's my sister's name".... yikes.

So yeah, you're not alone :P I hope that makes you feel better!

Julie said...

Just getting caught up on my reading!!!! Hello!

Constructive Attitude said...

lol
super awkard.
soooo what was her reaction after that?

Andy said...

Really? That would make me crawl in a little hole and never return.

Beth Perry said...

hahaha open mouth. insert foot. right? lol That is freaking hilarious!
And I love , LOVE your new banner!
Hope you are having a great weekend!
:P
B

Anniebanannie said...

Oh wow...that would be my luck. That stuff always happens to me it seems!

ÄsK AliCë said...

I could completely see the awkwardness coming...eeek!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Today is a very big day in the Where’s Wenda? Contest. I am visiting all of the SITS followers. Can I do it? There are around 1000 followers. Oh my! Better grab my cup of coffee and get on my way. Be sure to visit Hot Chocolate Caramel Mocha and Three Bay B Chicks as part of your contest entry

Dr Zibbs said...

This is a really great idea Tova and it looks like it's been pretty successful.

J&D said...

 

視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊聊天室 視訊交友 視訊聊天 視訊美女 視訊辣妹 免費視訊聊天室

色情遊戲 寄情築園小遊戲 情色文學 一葉情貼圖片區 情人視訊網 辣妹視訊 情色交友 成人論壇 情色論壇 愛情公寓 情色 舊情人 情色貼圖 色情聊天室 色情小說 做愛 做愛影片 性愛


免費視訊聊天室 aio交友愛情館 愛情公寓 一葉情貼圖片區 情色貼圖 情色文學 色情聊天室 情色小說 情色電影 情色論壇 成人論壇 辣妹視訊 視訊聊天室 情色視訊 免費視訊 免費視訊聊天 視訊交友網 視訊聊天室 視訊美女 視訊交友 視訊交友90739 UT聊天室 聊天室 豆豆聊天室 尋夢園聊天室 聊天室尋夢園 080聊天室 080苗栗人聊天室 女同志聊天室 上班族聊天室 小高聊天室


AV AV女優 自慰器 自慰器

視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊交友


網頁設計 網頁設計公司 最新消息 訪客留言 網站導覽

 

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes