Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesday

And now it's time for the part of the show where Tova shares an awkward story, and then you all share awkward stories, and then we all laugh at one another.

I didn't get my driver's license until I was 21. The delay was due in large part to the fact that A- My parents told me I'd have to pay for my own car insurance once I got my license, B - I typically had a boyfriend to drive me where I needed to go, and C - I'm just plain lazy. I might've held off on getting my license for even longer, except that, as luck would have it, I met Mr. Darling when I was visiting some friends in another state. After we met, we started talking by email and then by phone, and about 5 months after we met, Mr. D bought a ticket to fly out and see me.

The problem, of course, was that I had no driver's license, and I knew that it would be the height of humiliation if my mommy had to pick him up at the airport because I couldn't drive. Also, I didn't want to tell him that I didn't have my license because, although he's only two years older than me, he was the most "grown-up" of any guy I'd ever dated, and I didn't want him to think that I was some irresponsible child. So, I decided to hurry up and get my license, and with just a few weeks to spare until Mr. D's arrival, I went to the DMV to take my driving test.

The test went reasonably well, and I even managed not to screw up the parallel parking portion (even though to this day, I can't parallel park to save my life.) When the test was over, I pulled back into the parking lot, and the driving instructor said "Pull in next to that red truck." And of course, I took that to mean, "Park next to that red minivan on the other side of the lot." So I'm driving fairly quickly to get to the red minivan, when I suddenly see the red truck I'm supposed to be parking next to. Naturally, I whipped the steering wheel to the left without bothering to slow down, and the car began hurtling toward the side of the red truck. The driving instructor screamed, "Stop!!!" and I slammed on the brakes with inches to spare.

The driving instructor looked completely in shock at my lack of driving abilities when he asked me,"Do you realize that if I hadn't yelled, you would've hit that truck?" To which I replied, "Um, sorry about that." He started writing something on his clipboard while I sat there wondering how Mr. D was going to react when I showed up in the back seat of my parents' car to pick him up at the airport. Finally, the instructor looked at me, rolled his eyes, and said "Just go inside and get your picture taken for your license."

And so I got my license, just barely. My theory is that the instructor figured if I wasn't a good driver by age 21, I never would be. He did, however, point at me while laughing with the other instructors. It was awkward, but decidedly less awkward than having my mom pick up Mr. D from the airport would've been. As a side note, I didn't tell Mr. D that I'd only had my license for a few weeks until we'd been dating for about three months. Which means that when I almost hit a truck and then the median after picking him up, he was somewhat surprised at what a bad driver I was.

So what's your awkward moment? Share it on your blog, then link below!

20 comments:

raf said...

I'm the 2d!!And I awkwardly realize,that for the last 2 weeks in a row I've liked the same post..oops!
About your post..you were really lucky to get the driving licence!
Mine,would have denied it only for forgetting to fast the safety belt!

Wilwarin said...

haha, the thing that is stopping me getting mine is i'm afraid of how the picture will turn out! and if i didn't get the bus so much, where would all my awkward stories come from?! It's a good thing they still let you have it. there is a place near me who will never pass anyone on the first go. it is really expensive to go there!

Fabulously Broke said...

Yeah... :) My story is similar to yours for driving. Haha

Got my license when I was 25. :)

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Hahaha! I'm picturing his face as you drove like a maniac after picking him up! Still, having your mom pick him up would have been mortifying. Awkward, indeed!

Jules said...

This is one of my favorites! Well-told.

Adriana said...

Love the story although I can't believe you didn't get a DL until you were 21. I (and pretty much everyone I knew) got mine when I was 15. Guess that is the difference between growing up in KS (where everything is spread out and there is nothing to do) and growing up ANYWHERE else.

Former Fat Chick said...

goofball! My Mom had a driver due to illness (in Colombia) and he taught me how to drive and would let me drive around the "hood- um, I WAS 11!!!

Anne Elizabeth said...

That story is freaking hilarious!

LegalMist said...

Hilarious!!!

Snarky A. said...

Oh man... that is hilarious! And, of course it reminds of when I got my American driver's license, but I'll share that some other time. :)

I'm glad you got that license!

MuseSwings said...

Let me know what your drive times are so I can coordinate mine to opposite hours. Love it!

A bloggy adventure awaits! Pack your bags and meet us at the train station in Paris!

Sassy Britches said...

Wow, that's love. I don't know that if I didn't REALLY know how to drive, I'd risk city traffic and AIRPORT traffic to pick up my sweetheart! You're a nutter. :)

Cathy said...

I got my license on time, but I did fail the driving test not once, but twice because I couldn't parallel park.

PS I finally set up a twitter account and I'm following you. You're pretty quiet :)

The New Black said...

This makes me wonder why in the world someone would want to be a driving instructor. I would be too big of a wuss!

Fancy Schmancy said...

That's funny, I'm surprised he still gave you your license! I was a terrible driver when I first started, too!

btw, I messed up my first link (put last weeks) and though I fixed it but instead double linked to myself. Sorry.

Ron Centeno said...

Wow! you are one lucky lady Tova!

Megan said...

LOL I can just see Mr. D. holding on for dear life! :0P

Wilwarin said...

hey
i tagged you in a meme today so come on over and check it out! no pressure lol
love wilwarin

Moi said...

Tova-
apparently I had a week break in awkwardness..but I have to say that your is pretty hilarious. I didnt pass the test till my third try....now there's an awkward post!
catch ya next week-

Miss E said...

Tova, I'm about peeing my pants reading your story. Love it (was totally necessary on this looong day).

I'll have to come up with a good one to share :)

xoxo

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes