Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Packing up and moving out

Mr. Darling and I are moving to a brand new state (it's not actually new - it's one of the fifty that have been around for a while - it's just new to us) the first week of June so that he can start his residency, so I've been spending weeks packing our stuff in a meticulous and orderly fashion. Haha! I'm just kidding, of course. I've packed about three boxes. I expect to pack the rest of my things during the 48 hours before our actual move, in a caffeine-fueled frenzy accompanied by a lot of crying (I hate to pack, I'll be sad to leave my family and friends, and I become over-stimulated if I drink too much caffeine, so that will definitely lead to sobbing, guaranteed.)

Since packing is my least favorite thing ever, and Mr. Darling will be graduating and becoming Dr. Darling, and I'll be throwing him the best graduation party ever, and I will have a period of at least a week or two where I'll have no internet access, I won't be blogging much during the last week of May and the first two weeks of June. Rather than going AWOL for a month, losing all my readers, making you all wonder if I'm dead, etc, I decided to ask for (drum roll please) GUEST BLOGGERS! Ta da!

Ok, yeah, it's not an original idea, but it's the first time I've ever done it, so I'm excited. Wanna be a guest blogger? Sure you do! So here's how it's going to work:

Because I like to title things, the guest blog series will be called "Tova's Moving Extravaganza," because that sounds more fun than "Tova Thinks Moving Really Sucks." If you'd like to be a part of Tova's Moving Extravaganza, write up a funny, traumatizing, thrilling, horrible, or otherwise amusing true story about an interesting experience you had while moving. Or packing. Or house-hunting. Or heck, taking a really long trip. I'm not picky. Just make sure it's funny and/or interesting. Then, email it to me at tovadarling(at)gmail(dot)com. (Obviously, replace the words in parentheses with the actual symbols...) I'll pick some of your stories and schedule them to be published while I'm MIA.

Get your stories in to me by midnight on May 24 (Pacific time... which isn't necessarily my time zone but which allows all of you west coast night owls the opportunity to submit yours at the last minute). If I select your post, I'll let you know by Wednesday, May 27, and I'll also let you know when it will be published so that you can see your name in lights... I mean under my lips. Be sure to include the link to your blog in your email, and I'll link to you from my blog so that everyone can stop by and read more of your posts if they want to. I'll intersperse a few scheduled posts of my own into the Extravaganza, just so that you all don't forget about me.

(I originally planned for Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays to be on hiatus during this time, which would give us all a chance to stockpile some awkward moments to share once the awkwardness resumes, but then Tabatha suggested that I have someone else host it, which was a good idea, and which also led me to think that I could still schedule Mr. Linky to show up on Tuesdays and you all could post links if you wanted to. Your thoughts? Let's take a vote on that. Should TAT continue in my absence? There's a poll to the right.)

Ok, so to summarize - write a great post about a real-life moving/packing/traveling experience, email it to me, and then come back to read everyone's posts! You're all invited to submit a story, so get writing!

10 comments:

Gaston Studio said...

I'm so excited for you, except for the having to pack of course!

Can you tell us which state you'll be moving to?

Girl On A Journey said...

OMG this si such a fabulous idea!!

The New Black said...

Moving and packing are both the pits! Living somewhere new is kind of exciting though...

Fidgeting Gidget said...

Good idea...I've got a story for you, I'll have to work it up!

Laura said...

Moving does stink! Good luck with all the excitement going on in your life - congrats to the hubby!

Dr Zibbs said...

Which state?

Fidgeting Gidget said...

I'm giving you an award in celebration of your fresh start! Check my blog for details!

~E said...

OOH! I'd like to guest blog!

but I refuse to be responsible for any and all bad words that are included in the said post.

Oh, you're gonna be monitoring and reading them first?

hmm...

let me do some editing and Ill get back to you

Laura said...

What a great idea ms.darling. I hope your move runs smoothly.

For a giggle stop by to see my top ten reasons how you know you've been in L.A. for too long.

Megan said...

Good luck with the moving!! I despise moving. Well, not necessarily the moving. More the packing. Blah! I feel your pain!

Looking forward to your return and to see what pops up here on your blog in your absence. =)

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes