Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesday

This will be the last Totally Awkward Tuesday for a while (edit: or maybe not? Vote on this to the right). As I mentioned yesterday, TAT will be on hiatus while Mr. Darling and I celebrate him becoming a doctor and then pack up our entire lives and move to a new state. So be sure to join in today's awkwardness!!

Because I will soon have to find a new job in a new place, today's Totally Awkward Tuesday post is about a job interview. Job interviews are often very awkward and uncomfortable. You put yourself out there and hope that a company will like your resume enough to actually want to meet you. Once they do meet you, you have about an hour to convince them that you're an amazing, spectacular, wonderful person whom they want to work for them. And then ultimately, they often make the actual hiring decision based on something completely trivial. For example - when I was interviewing for my current job, they had narrowed it down to two candidates: me and another recent college grad about my age. We were both new graduates, we had similar degrees and experience (or lack thereof), and we were equally outgoing and personable. So I got the job because I wore pantyhose to my job interview and the other girl didn't. True story. My boss told me after I was hired. We'd both worn skirts to our interviews, and I wore pantyhose with mine and she had bare legs, so they picked me, because my attire was more professional. So the bottom line is that a $2 item of clothing got me my job.

That's not my awkward story, though; that was just a tangent. My awkward story for the day is this: When I was interviewing for jobs after graduating from college (and before my pantyhose got me my current job), I went for a job interview at a company that did something that I now cannot remember to save my life. It was close to my house (I was still living with my parents at the time), and it paid reasonably well, so I applied for it even thought I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with anything that I was even remotely interested in. Life insurance? Banking? Mortgages? I can't remember. Anyway, I went on this interview (wearing pantyhose), and I had to sit in the lobby for what felt like hours because they had inexplicably scheduled my interview for the same time as their weekly staff meeting.

When I finally was taken in for the interview, it started out pretty normal. I talked to the woman who would be the new hire's direct boss for a while, and she asked me normal interview questions like what were my strengths and weaknesses, where did I see myself in five years, etc. Then she called in her boss, who was the head of the company, and the interview very quickly devolved into him telling me some long drawn-out story... about how he was jogging and tripped over a dog and hurt his leg (the boss', not the dog's). As he was telling this story, he started laughing. At first, it was just a reasonable amount of laughter, but it quickly progressed into hysterics. He was laughing until tears were streaming down his face, and I was quietly wondering if perhaps he was crazy. But I didn't want to seem like I thought he was weird, so I was kind of laughing along, while scanning the room to make sure there were no sharp objects anywhere. He just kept laughing harder and harder, and the woman was laughing, too, and they just kept feeding off of each other, acting like tripping over a dog and bleeding was the funniest thing that had ever happened to anyone in the history of the world. And I'm kind of chuckling along while thinking to myself, "Do I even want to work in a place where this is their idea of a funny story?"

Finally, they stopped laughing and proceeded with the interview, and then they told me that everyone in their office was really close and got along really well, and so they wanted to make sure that the new person fit in, so it was good that I had laughed at the dog story (which, they assured me, was a true story).

And I'm thinking to myself, "Um, seriously??? That was a test??? What is wrong with you people?? You're going to base your hiring decision on whether or not someone thinks it's funny that you tripped over a dog??" But instead of saying all of that, I asked if the dog was ok (it was). I think that particular question immediately disqualified me from getting the job, because apparently the fact that a dog could've been seriously hurt when a clumsy 200 pound man fell on top of it was not the point of the story. I got a phone call a few days later letting me know that they were going "another direction" with their job search.

Ok, so what's your awkward story? Share it on your blog, link back to my blog, and then link to your TAT post below (or in the comments if Mr. Linky vanishes again).

14 comments:

dextershaven said...

I would have wanted to know what happened to the dog, too.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Congratulations on Mr. Darling becoming a doctor!

And that test is f*cked up. I've heard worse though.. interviewers get bored and just like to play with your mind

Moi said...

Oh the awkwardness! That is so weird to test someone with a lame joke. As to the first story, I will soon be interviewing for jobs as well and am now terrified by the pantyhose debacle...I thought they were over. I guess I will just wear pants.

Gaston Studio said...

What asses! You wouldn't have liked working there anyway... who the hell would?

Congrats to Mr. Darling!!!

The Demigoddess said...

I went to a job interview where the bosses talked about sex like it was something regular. I was thinking about all the sexual harassment suits piled up against them when they called and said I was hired.

Jules said...

Aren't you glad you didn't end up working there and having to laugh at those stupid stories everyday just to get promoted?

Congrats to you and future Dr. D!! Enjoy graduation and good luck wiht the move!!

Tabatha said...

I would have asked if the dog was okay, too. It just shows good character and a concern for the well being of others, which I think are admirable traits and would have made you an awesome employee. But you probably didn't want to work with weirdos like that anyway.

SkylersDad said...

I guess it could have been worse, they could have put you in a room with a dog and told you to kill it in order to get the job! What is wrong with some people?

Autumn said...

I'm really going to miss the awkward Tuesday's and I hope that you will at least still post every now and again to let us know you are alive and well and to give us our daily dose of laughs. Good luck to you on your job hunting, and Congrats to soon to be Dr. Darling!!!

kim said...

I have a job interview tomorrow. Note to self: wear hoes. And laugh at bosses jokes.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

That's just WEIRD. Even if you'd have fake-passed the little test, you'd have had to work with those people. Weirdos.

Good to know about the hose, though. :)

LegalMist said...

Awesome story. And you reminded me of one of my all-time favorite interview stories, too. :)

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds said...

haha! oh man, that one really did make me laugh out loud, just picturing you sitting there awkwardly chuckling along. Great story!

Megan said...

So odd! Yeah, I would've asked if the dog was ok as well. What a strange interview.

And I don't wear skirts so I'm good on the hose. LOL Whew!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes