Thursday, May 7, 2009

Two years, six months, and twenty-five days.

That's supposedly the point at which the honeymoon period in the average marriage ends and when romance is officially dead, according to this poll.

I'm not sure I buy it, as one of their examples of "proof" that romance is dead is that husbands leave dirty socks on the floor. Personally, I have been leaving dirty socks around the house since I was old enough to remove my own socks, so if that's indication of me taking my marriage for granted, then my marriage was doomed since I was like... six months old. Plus, I've never known anyone whose fantasies of a romantic marriage revolved around proper dirty sock disposal.

But if you think my skepticism about the validity of these statistics is enough to keep me from planning a ridiculous, over-the-top, wildly romantic evening for when Mr. Darling and I have been married for two years, six months, and twenty-five days... you're wrong. That date has been marked on my calendar since I first heard about this survey on the radio. We'll still be poor-ish at that point (Mr. D will have started his residency just a few weeks earlier and probably won't have gotten his first paycheck yet), so we won't be taking an exotic second honeymoon or renting a fancy hotel room, but I already have quite a few ideas up my sleeve.

Right now, my ideas include an outdoor candlelit picnic dinner under this gigantic tent-thing I have, followed by some, um, lovin'. I'm thinking roses and pictures and flowers and hearts and, of course, the stripper pole. (That part will definitely be indoors.) Actually, I'd like to do a whole romantic week for Mr. D: cook his favorite dinners every evening (which would be extra romantic, since I rarely cook), make use of all of my sexiest lingerie, let him watch Cops as much as he wants, etc. I'm looking for suggestions for how I can make the week extra romantic, and I need your help!

So what are your best cheap romantic ideas? AND do you agree that romance is dead in a marriage after about two and a half years?

14 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I don't think so.... But I'll say more once I get a couple of kids and am married for 3 years :P

Autumn Jean said...

That sounds really romantic!! But honey, if you are waltzing around in your sexiest lingere and he wants to watch Cops...it might be time to bring up the dirty socks. Lol. (I honestly dont think he would EVER do that but it was the first thought that popped in my head) :D

Moi said...

I am with you on the dirty socks - I dont typically wear socks as I live in Florida and live in flip flops but if that were really the rule of romance being gone..I would be done since my hubby is the king of leaving socks all over.

hmmm..ideas...
your sound great - better woman than I for dealing with the watching of COPS. I am all about the bed covered in rose petals - but I am sure he doesnt care to much about the rose petals..rose petals just make things seem special I guess.

.::~P~::. said...

So from that article, just like you, I was doomed from the day I was born...

I rarely wear make up, he leaves his dirty socks all over...

This is a ridiculous poll....

Trina said...

I don't know about yours.. but mine is a lover of the sweets. Leave him a card a day with a sweet note in it (maybe a kinky note??), and his favorite candy bar. THEN move on to the lovins. ;)

.::L said...

I'm a spontaneous note-leaver! I write little things on index cards... stick them on the mirror in the bathroom, in a pocket, on a pillow ("have a good nap today")...


Using a spare set of keys, stick something inside his car... a little sneaky/creepy, but cute.




wearenotengaged.blogspot.com

LegalMist said...

I never heard the 2 years, 6 months, & 25 day theory. I always heard it was the "seven year itch." My step-mom's first two marriages ended right around the 7 year mark. However, the first two husbands were cheating skanks, and my dad is not, and she's been married to my Dad for nearly 17 years, so I am thinking is it more about the quality of the relationship than about the timing.

But just in case, you should be sure to be all romantic again in about four and a half years. :) (Hey, any excuse for a week of fun, right?)

As for tips, you are doing great with your ideas already. Like .::L, I also like to leave little "love notes" for my guy to find. I use sticky notes instead of index cards. Stick them to the bathroom mirror, the car steering wheel, the tv - wherever I think he'll look next.

Have fun!

SkylersDad said...

I would say for us romance died at about 8 years.

Kelly said...

You are so sweet! I have never put that much thought into it...

Kids bring the romance down. It's still there though.

Dirty socks - they're mine.

I'm like the dude.

wendy said...

Interesting. Wonder what happens at 13 years, 8 months, and 16 days?!

I'll have to read that article...I'm sure I'll find it interesting to say the least!

Whatever you do, it will be wonderful.

Comedy Goddess said...

Cheap romantic dates include a slow stroll around somewhere scenic and a light dinner by candlelight.

My marriage only lasted eight years, so your numbers add up to less than half of my clocked married time. Sounds about right.

Fidgeting Gidget said...

I'm approaching my one year anniversary, and it's definitely not dead yet.....We have made a promise NEVER to let it die. But we're planning to have kids soon, so......uh-oh. I'll try my best to stay romantic, though.

Our cheap romantic nights include bubble baths with wine/beer and candles with romantic music in the background. It's great!

Julie said...

My honeymoon period ended at 9:30am, 2 years and 8 days after we got married. I know this because the judge officially pronounced us divorced at that moment.

At least my marriage lasted longer than most celebrities...

Joseph said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Secret Life of Tova Darling" to our Directory of Honeymoon Travels and Locations. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

honeymun.com Team

http://www.honeymun.com

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes