Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I'm Back!! (Kind of.)

Hello, wonderful bloggers! As you've probably guessed, I am officially all moved in to my new house. Most of it actually looks like we live here now, as opposed to before when it looked like we were using the house as a storage facility for piles of boxes. We also officially have internet now (as opposed to poaching it from the neighbors without their knowledge.)

Naturally, once I finally got settled and comfortable, the obvious next step is for me to pack some bags and drive four hours back to my hometown to stay with my parents for a week (in a bit of a college flashback, I'm toting with me a gigantic bag of laundry, since Mr. Darling and I need to buy a washer and dryer.) My sister (who moved away from our hometown two years before I did) is spending a week at our parents' house with my adorable nephew, and since they (my sister and her family) now live a depressing 13 hours away from me, AND I haven't seen them since Christmas, I'm headed back home to hang out with them. Mr. D will be here, fending for himself, while I'm staying in my childhood bedroom, using my parents' washer and dryer, eating their food, and generally pretending that I'm 19 again. I may or may not be blogging during that time, but I've scheduled a post to tide you over. (By this time, I'm a pro at scheduling posts.)

Here's a very, very quick recap of all of the major events that took place in the last three weeks:

Mr. Darling's Medical School Graduation: I started crying five minutes into the ceremony. No joke. I am just so, so proud of him! Mr. Darling's family got along with each other and with me, and that was the best I was hoping for, so I can't complain about them too much. The ceremony was long, and Mr. Darling texted me during the ceremony because he was bored, but I was so proud and excited that it was hard to be bored. I took approximately 9,438 pictures.

Mr. Darling's Graduation Party: Frankly, it was fantastic, if I do say so myself. I have had four years to plan an amazing party for him, and it went off exactly as I've been dreaming it would for the past four years. I smiled so much my face hurt, talked to everyone, could not eat a bite of the food I prepared, and even got compliments from Mr. Darling's mom. So, all-in-all, it was even better than I could've hoped.

The Move: Moving sucks, there's no way around that. However, it didn't suck as badly as it could've, so that's something, I suppose. We paid people to load the truck on one end, then paid other people to unload it on the other end, so that saved our backs at least. (And when I say "our backs," I obviously just mean "Mr. Darling's back," because I am no help at all when it comes to lifting things.) I cried. A lot. My parents came with us to help us unload and unpack, and then spent the night and left the next day. When they left, I cried so hard that I couldn't even talk. I'm doing a lot better now, though.

Blog of Note: Since being Blog of Note (Hurrah!), I have almost 1,000 readers, and I think that you are all amazing. And funny. And sexy. I have gotten some wonderful comments and emails and have been introduced to some awesome blogs and bloggers. I am still trying to make the rounds and follow up on comments and emails, so bear with me on that. I have also, of course, gotten some really weird comments and emails, which I will of course be sharing with you, because they are funny.

In other news, in addition to my food poisoning (such fun), I also got another fun bug, which required an antibiotic, which caused me to break out in a horrible rash all over my torso and legs. So apparently I've developed a new allergy. I think my body is just constantly on the lookout for ways to annoy me. I am on the mend from all of my various health problems, but I've developed a fun new fear that everything I eat or touch will make me sick. At least I now officially live with a doctor.

Well, I'm rambling, and I need to finish gathering dirty laundry for my trip, so I'll wrap this up. Have a wonderful day!

22 comments:

Kim said...

Love, love your blog. Isn't he "Dr. Darling" now? And also - good luck with this all future personal health problems. I'm married to a Dr. who is very good about NOT taking care of me since, whatever my problem is, that's always NOT his specialty and I really need to see MY doctor for that. Oh well. At least he's trying to be professional.

Kim said...

I have to add this because I just thought of it - he's a urologist and on one occasion when I thought I had a problem he might actually be able to do something about, he said "Honey, if you don't come in to my office with pee sloshing around in your shoes, you're not in bad enough shape for me to help."

RecoveringActor said...

Ok. If you haven't discovered the store Lush yet, you need to discover them. And you need to get some of their bubble bath (it's solid... and uses sodium bicarbonate so it's very bubbly. and sometime sparkly, so watch out for that) and maybe some of the emoticons or the solid body lotion (they don't like packaging) and you need to just relax. At least that's how I do it. I always have a supply of lush bubble bath on hand for bad/stressful days.

Lady Jane said...

So glad your back! I have watched your steady increase of readers! Not bad since you have been MIA:) Congrats on being the blog of note. Tre exciting

Dollface said...

wow even compliements from the MIL :) yay!! and Im glad to be one of the 1000, hope u check out mine as well, xxxooo

drahdrah said...

I'm glad you're somewhat settled and things are getting back to your new "normal". If you're anything like me, stress may be the cause of your ailments of late. Hopefully your days away at your parents will allow your body to relax and regroup. Love your blog, and glad congrats on being the blog of note... your gain is my gain, cuz that's the way I found you !

Cas said...

Blog of note! How fun :) Im glad the move is over so you can come back!

Optimistic Pessimist said...

congrats on Mr. Darling's graduation! Glad everyone got along too!

Jasmine said...

I can't wait to see the funny emails. :) Glad you're doing better and glad you got along with the other side of the family. :)
I know how it is to have to move far from family and everyone. I just moved with my boyfriend in September at (18 years old) so he could go to school and we're about a 5 hour drive from back home.

Katherine said...

Good to hear that you are getting settled. We just "finished" our move for residency, and we are by no means settled. And I'm now a 20 hour drive from my family, which is hard. Have fun being 19 again.

Shani said...

I really enjoy your blog!

gorrión said...

Hey congrats on the non-life-threatening execution of the move and the grad party! I'm thinking about taking the moving plunge too--from the midwest to out east. I'm sure it'll be an adventure, or at least something to write about! Have fun at the parents'! BTW--throughly enjoyed your moving extravaganza!

Always a Bridesmaid said...

Welcome back! We've missed you!

Tranquility said...

Busy, busy times! Glad to hear you are -almost- all settled in. ;)

J-Diggety said...

I just can't get enough of your blog - you're a great writer! I just finished reading the posts related to "I'm in love with my husband", "I know how to pole dance" (hi-LAR-ious, btw) and "I'm pretty opinionated"... all made me love your blog even more!!

Ali said...

Everything sounds like it's coming together so well! So happy to hear.

Hixon and Co. Photography said...

Congrats to Mr. Darling & welcome back! :)

Janelle said...

wheehh...so much going on, so happy that it's all good! Except of course illnesses that require toilets and antibiotics! Congrats to Mr. Darling and to you for getting props from his mama!

Cathy said...

I'm glad you're back!

Congrats to you for being Blog of Note (and for impressing the MIL)!!

Oh, and congrats of course to Dr. Darling :-)

Miss E said...

I was going to say also...he's Dr. Darling now! :) So glad you are settled in your new home. Moving is such a pain, but it's easier at least when you have movers on both ends. And how nice to spend time with your sister and family! xoxo

Fancy Schmancy said...

I can't believe MIL darling paid you a compliment! That's awesome!

Megan said...

So glad the graduation ceremony and celebration went so well! Yay! Congrats to Dr. Darling! ;0)

I agree. Moving sucks. Glad you had people to help you.

Have fun visiting with your sister and fam!!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes