Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm not the loneliest person in the whole city

During some of the more intense pity parties that I held for myself before Mr. Darling and I moved, I pictured myself curled up alone on the couch for days on end, wearing sweatpants, watching reruns, being used as furniture by my cats, crying into a glass of wine, and stuffing my face full of Cheetos. The occasional car would drive by, and I'd leap up, sending my cats flying, and run to the window shouting, "Will you be my friend??" The car would drive away, its passengers pointing and laughing, and I'd go back to being lonely.


My biggest fear about moving was that I'd have no friends. Back home (which is a phrase I really need to stop using, since this is home now), I had plenty of friends. I spent the majority of my time with my fantastic best friend, Elle (who came up to see me this past weekend and whom I almost did not allow to leave. Seriously), but there were at least half a dozen other girls that I could call up whenever I wanted to hang out. I'm still friends with those girls, obviously, but now they're a four hour drive away, and I'm here. Alone. (Not really alone, of course, but once Mr. D's residency officially starts, I'll be without him for hours and even days at a time. Blah.) I'm a people person. I'm very social. And I was petrified to live in a city where I didn't know anyone.


So, I'm quite relieved that so far, the only time I've worn sweatpants and curled up in the fetal position with cats lying on top of me was during my unfortunate bout of food poisoning. Other than that, I've been meeting people left and right! On Sunday, Mr. Darling and I went to a church we'd visited during our house-finding mission a few months ago, and a girl about my age (which technically means she's a woman) whom we'll call Rae promptly befriended me. She invited me to her house, where I met her sisters (also in my age group) and some other girls, and they in turn invited me to a join a small group they're starting with their church. Rae and I also have plans to meet for lunch next week. On our fourth day here, some neighbors stopped by to bring us a pie, and then two days later, some other neighbors invited us to their son's graduation party. Mr. D and I are attended the birthday party of one of the residents this past weekend, where we met the other residents and their wives/husbands/significant others, and I've already hit it off with a few of the wives. We also have tentative plans to meet another resident and his wife (who I met at the dinner before Mr. D's interview here and who is really sweet and adorable) for dinner next week.


In other words, I'm not the pathetic shut-in I was envisioning myself to be! Score! Now if I could just find a job...

37 comments:

Fidgeting Gidget said...

Wow! Good work on making friends so quickly! I'm leaving you some love on my blog!

Optimistic Pessimist said...

wooohooo! glad to hear things are working out. I'd like to think I;d be as outgoing as you and meet people if I moved, but I would probably just curl up in sweatpants and watch re-runs all day ling.

Carrie said...

Wow, good job! Glad you're settling in quickly. :)

FRANNIE said...

Use your inner mantra of: "I am a people magnet, all shall like me and think I am friendly."

If all else fails there's always thin mints and ice cream :).

Meandering Mel said...

I'm glad to hear that you're making friends.

I hate moving, because I can sometimes be very socially awkward, which in turn can make it hard to be social.
Kudo's to you!

Omega said...

I envy you, I actually do curl up in my sweats and stare at the walls throughout most of the day.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Friends! Hooray! So glad you are settling in with the new area.

Sandi said...

Well, I now know you aren't in the The OC. I can't believe you have more friends than I have made in my entire three years in California.

You lucky chick!

Lady Jane said...

Thats pretty damn good!!!! Thats a lot of people...CONGRATS

J-Diggety said...

Yay for making friends! I'm social and outgoing myself, so I understand the need and the fear of loneliness... ;)
J

Dollface said...

Its so nice that you made friends!! awwww.. xxooo

Tranquility said...

Yay!
I had a feeling it wouldn't be such a difficult thing for you to find friends in your new city!

Echo Friendly said...

I am a new reader\blogspot user, but I've become a fan of your blog already!

It's great that moving to a new city as worked out so well for you. I'll be moving soon (end of September) and I am hoping it goes as well as you have experienced!

Ali said...

That is so great! I'm happy to hear you're not lonely...not a fun way to be!

Former Fat Chick said...

I want FRIENDS, real live ones...that are not in my computer...

Katherine said...

I'm glad that you have already made so many friends. I like to think that if I ever get the time to pull myself away from our home renovations, that I might too.

Miss E said...

You mentioned a real life fair when you first moved. Couple that with the fact that your neighbors brought you a pie and I'd say you are in a good ole Small Town.

I'm so glad you are settling in and that you have such nice people around to make you feel "at home" in your new home. xoxo

Charlotte said...

I'm just dying to know where in the world you can live these days with neighbors who bring over pies. I was pretty confident that did not happen anymore.

Miss Behavin said...

Good for you! It's usually difficult to make new friends when you move. I'm still having a hard time and I've been here for nearly 10 years! LOL

Heck, at the rate you're going you will long for a day when you can throw on your sweats, watch re-runs and eat cheetos.

L said...

Wow, I envy your speedy friend-making skills!

Good luck in finding some more :)

wendy said...

So glad things are coming together so well!! Having *just* moved myself (and still somewhat surrounded by boxes in some rooms) I can totally understand. Glad you're making friends all over the place. :)

J.J. in L.A. said...

I moved to this place, 25 years ago, from the town I grew up in. I don't have any friends here but I still have all my childhood friends, since I only moved 8 miles away. lol!

Your word veri just insulted me: "hoess" ; )

Megan said...

Wow! That is SO awesome! Congrats on the friend making! =D

RB said...

Congrats on the successful move and friend making! Before you know it, life will be similar to Wysteria Ln, hopefully not exactly, but you know... Cheetos for comfort, ingenious.

catherinette said...

That first paragraph you wrote describes my life to a t (except for the pint of Ben & Jerry's that I'm usually crying into).

Fancy Schmancy said...

Good for you! People like yourself never have any trouble making new friends. Personally, as a recluse, I shun all forms of contact with the outside world. I don't like people much ;)

Hixon and Co. Photography said...

I'm so glad things are working out! :) Yay for friends!

Haley said...

Congrats on moving! Don't worry, soon you'll be feeling just as home as you would be at your place. Goodluck finding a job!




http://haleycalifornia.blogspot.com

Mama Mair said...

Shut-in? You don't have kids yet. That's when you can't even leave the house once the little angels are in bed. Seems like a great neighbourhood, too. That helps.
Mind you, all these meeting new people might make for some great reads for Awkward Tuesday, non?

Thicky Riccie said...

I love the way you write, especially because it makes me giggle.

Yvonne Todd said...

Yeah for you! May this be the beginning of all the good things, events and people you will enjoy and have fond memories of. Memories that will excite you when you make the next move!

Heather said...

Hi! I just recently started my own blog and ran across yours. I LOVE it! I love it so much that I went back and read all of your posts.lol. You are a really talented writer! And it sounds like you are just the kind of person that everyone would want to be friends with, it sounds like you're settling in quite well which is totally awesome. I lived in the same town my whole life until college, it was quite an adjustment! Hope you're having a wonderful day!!!

Toothfairynotes said...

I fear the same thing as you do... I'm more shy... so with new people, I'm always a little bit scared, but it always turns out fine!

Glad that everything worked out for you!

Steffunny said...

Cat Furniture.... never thought of that one! Congratulations on finding new people to connect with,

♥Chymere♥ said...

I have awarded you blog awards. Visit http://thesweetheartchronicles.blogspot.com/2009/06/blogger-awards.html to claim your award!!!

DShanklin said...

It is good to hear you are doing well and making friends. I am somewhat of a loner, but it is good always knowing there are people you can call when you need too. You are doing well. I think I would be very nervous and scared.

ÄsK AliCë said...

That's awesome Tova! I completely understand the need to socialize often!!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes