Friday, June 5, 2009

Tova's Moving Extravaganza - Meandering Melissa

Today's episode of Tova's Moving Extravaganza is brought to you by the wonderful Melissa over at Meandering Melissa! Melissa's identity was recently stolen by someone who used her bank account to buy Christian t-shirts (no, seriously! Read about it on her blog!), but luckily for all of us, she submitted this story before she had to start sorting out that mess:

I had just spent a year living in Germany as an exchange student, and was anxious, yet scared to be going home. I would miss my German family, friends, and experiences, but would be going home to my American family, friends and life.

I was standing in a small airport with a handful of students from my area. We were all flying together to a larger airport for our connecting flight back to America. My dear, sweet, adorable, and horribly hott friend Anna (yes, names have been changed) and I were checking in together, so that we could hopefully have seats next to each other on the flight to the big airport. But all I managed to do was pass on my fair share of terrible luck. The lady behind the desk refused to let us check our luggage all the way to the States, because of some sort of problem, that I’m sure was just her being mean because we were American. None of the other students that we knew had a problem. Just us.

What did this mean to us? Well, we got the seats together on our flight to the big airport, but it also meant that we had to re-check our luggage. Both of my bags were overweight (and I mean overweight!), and Anna’s were awkward. To pick up our bags, we had to go down a level, get our bags, and bring them up. My huge duffel bag wouldn’t fit in the elevator, so Anna and I both struggled to get the damn thing up the worst flight of stairs on the face of this planet.

Then we had to wait in line. They refused to look at us poor students until our program director talked to them (our PO was one of the most frightening, but really cool German women I have ever met) in such a way, that we were rushed to the front of the line, because our flight was due to leave at that moment. They took our bags without even looking at the weight, and gave us our tickets, and managed to hold the plane for us. Anna and I had to run what seemed like a million miles to catch our plane. We had to clear security, and stripped as we ran. We were completely and utterly ridiculous. My pants were too big for me (I had lost a lot of weight), and about lost them after I took my belt off, which I wrapped around my neck so I wouldn’t lose it. Anna, silly, but hott, was wearing combat boots. Thank God they were the kind that zipped up the side! I carried one, while she had the other, and we managed to get all questionable items ready to be scanned by the machines. Managing to get through security (which the airport personnel had thoughtfully cleared a line, just for us!), we still had to sprint our way to our gate. It was just like the movies, where someone is late for a flight. We had personnel directing us the whole way, cheering us on, and wishing us a safe flight back to the States.

We made it to our plane, where our group was excited to see us. Anna and I re-dressed, yes, we had run through everything half dressed, and plopped in our seats.

Only to wait 45 minutes before our plane even moved to taxi to the runway.

17 comments:

Kate said...

OMG How annoying! I would have immediately requested a cocktail... a double.

Kat Duncombe said...

haha oh man, sounds like a stressful adventure...

Angels March said...

Congratulations on making Blog of Note!

The Sign Lady said...

I know that stuff like this is so stressful and scary (what will we do if we miss our plane?!) but makes for the best memories and travel stories afterward.

Anatomy Of A Perfect Stranger said...

At times one has to have bad luck in order for the luck to turn good. Getting the President treatment after a stressful day is compensation enough for what you went through. You should write the airline a letter and tell them your story, end it by saying " Stick that in you juice box and suck it,"I bet they will think twice about ignoring customers.

ÄsK AliCë said...

I hate airports. I found the women at the Las Vegas airport were really rude to us!

At least you made the flight!

Steffunny said...

Sounds similar to my first adventure to Europe... except I was alone and only spoke english at the age of 20.

I loved every minute of it! Just went back in February.

Cradle2Grave said...

Reading this post about your moving ectravaganza was like looking in a mirror at myself.I had something VERY similar happen to me when I was moving back from Italy. I can relate to the fear of coming home, and when I got back I was in culture shock all over again! Not to mention the stress of packing...Getting to the airport, and finding out my bags were WAY too heavy... and balling my eyes out while standing in line to get on my flight because I had to leave my first love of my life in Italy. Stressful, and horrible all in 1!!! But...what an amazing experience.

heatheraj said...

That was one heck of a stroy... congrats on making your plane ride though... those people that check your bags are real stupid sometimes... thank you for sharing!

Salman said...

Wow superb keep it up

Regards
Salman
www.tips4blogging.co.cc for blogging tips and hacks.

Mama Mair said...

Thanks for the great blog. I love it!
Found you as the Blog of Note and now I'm hooked.
Moving should be emotional. We are attached to places as much as we are attached to people.

surekha tangri said...

a good exiciting run,u kept me hooked till the last line of ur blog

Braffkins... said...

Hey Tova! I love your blog and I have awarded you with an award. Come by my blog to fetch it.
XOXO
Braff

Samantha said...

You had an adventure that u'll never forget :D

Hepotard said...

that was one of the funniest things i have read in a while.. sounds like a great time haha.

Molly said...

Hope you feel better! And I LOOOVE your blog BTW! Found it because it was a blog of my note...and i but you on my worthy reading list. Much love! And check out mine anytime!
www.xoxoimawriter.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Haha! Oh man! That totally sucks that after all that you had to sit and wait!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes