Friday, June 12, 2009

Tova's Moving Extravaganza - Weekly Jules

Today's episode of the Extravaganza is brought to you by Weekly Jules, a fellow doctor's wife who has been through the joys of being married to a medical resident and could probably warn me about what the next three years are going to be like... if I wasn't too scared of hearing horror stories to ask her about it. Here's a traveling story from Julie:

My husband was a 3rd year med student, I was a fresh college grad, we had only been married seven months, and we were broke. And trying to attend a friend’s wedding in Denver as cheaply as possible...

After driving since 5:00 in the morning, we checked into a dive hotel (saved $10 over the wedding party's hotel) about an hour before the wedding, smelly from a day of travel, and in dire need of showers. Unfortunately, Dave realized he had forgotten to pack a dress shirt. He called the front desk for directions to the nearest mall, which was supposedly out of the parking lot and south about one mile. While he left to get a new shirt (there went our $10), I headed to the shower. But when I pulled back the shower curtain, I found the tub was covered in mildew, the drain surrounded by hair, and, I swear, a dead cockroach was being carried away by a colony of red ants.

So I did what any other suburban newlywed would do, and re-packed everything I could, donned the rest (Dave’s beat-up camo-green jacket and a hat), grabbed the fancy wedding gift, and checked out.

I still had not taken a shower.

I waited on the hotel steps for my husband to return before deciding I probably looked like a vagabond trying to score a free room. So I picked up all our stuff, exited the parking lot on foot, and started walking south, thinking surely I could hit the mall, or at least flag down Dave on the street before he got back to the hotel. Mind you, this was a few years before cell phones hit the free world.

After trudging along for what seemed like two miles dressed like a homeless person, carrying a duffle bag, a backpack, a garment bag, and a wedding gift, I spied police officer driving along the road and started flagging him down for help.

Officer pulled over, and, as I explained my situation, he silently put my belongings in his trunk and told me to get in the car, specifically the back seat. I urged him to swing back around so I could find my husband and get to the wedding on time. He muttered something in his CB about a woman (poor thing was wandering the streets of suburban Denver) and did a quick U-turn. Within seconds I spotted poor, uninformed Dave driving northbound and squealed with delight to Officer. He flipped on the lights and siren and did a U-turn in hot pursuit of my husband.

I saw Dave look back with panic as Officer motioned for him to pull over, then I saw my husband shake his head after making momentary eye contact with him in his rearview mirror.

We all pulled over, I pulled the car door handle, relieved to have found my true love lost in the Denver suburbs and ready to leap into his arms, but the door was locked. Officer got out instead.
“Sir, I found your wife walking southbound on this street. She claims she was looking for you?” Officer was puzzled. Dave was not.

“That sounds like something she would do,” he said.

Officer unlocked my door and let me out. Dave opened his door and let me in, and we enjoyed the rest of the weekend at a Marriott in Cherry Creek.

No, there was no charge at the first hotel. No, we will never skimp on a room again. And, yes, we made it to the wedding on time.

18 comments:

Anki said...

Hi Tova!
I stumbled upon your blog a few days ago (from the blogs of note of course!) and am i glad i did. I sat amost the whole night to go through all your posts. I almost but had office the next day so well...
Anyways went through your "Tova's Moving Extravanagza - Weekly Jules" and "Awkward Tuesdays", It has been fun all through and other posts as well... (now, if I started listing all of them, it would be post in it self!)
I have been moving all my life (almost) and have a few stories myself. But since the deadline was on last to last Sunday :(, I guess i will keep them for next time.

It has been a pleasure reading about you.
Keep blogging!

Carrie said...

Oh my, that sounds like the hotel room from hell. Good thing you made it out of there before being carried off by the red ants. Haha.

Former Fat Chick said...

What an adorable story! I can hear my HUBS now...LUCY, you have so 'esplainin to doooo! baba-looo!

RandiB said...

LOL - hilarious!! I love it!!

Dollface said...

what a story! I love your blog, keep em coming! xxxooo

J-Diggety said...

Omigosh, I would've done the same thing... don't even want to think about what the bed was like when pulling the comforter back, *shudder*... sometimes it pays to fork over a few more bucks! Glad you survived :)
J

Adriana said...

I have totally checked into a hotel decided that there was NO way that I would be able to sleep there and immediately checked back out. Love the story and just say no to cheap hotels!

Music Diva said...

OMG!! This is the funniest I've read all week!!! Glad to hear they made it to the wedding on time!!! Great blog!!!

Jules said...

Thank you, Tova!! Hope the move is going well and that you haven't had to track down Dr. D from the back of a police car!

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Bahamas later this year. I keep running different resorts past him and he keeps saying back to me, "Does it really matter where we pick? You're just going to change rooms anyway." Said with a smile, of course. He is a patient, patient man!

(and if anyone has any hotel suggestions, I would gladly take them!)

Have a great weekend!
-Jules

Tranquility said...

Wow - you still made it to the wedding on time! But... did you get your shower? ')

hustler said...

I get so grossed out by hotels even when they are clean. I would've done that same thing! Glad it worked out okay.

Sam's Thots said...

Oh what a fun read! And Tova, the following comments to your blog are just as fun to read! I too, found your blog via 'blog of note' and am looking forward to future blogs!

Diane J. said...

Thanks for the laugh. I never understood how bad a cheap room could be...until I got one. Oy Vey! My twins were 2 yrs. old and their brother 8 and it had been an extremely long and hard past few months (husband working late, no other help around, etc.). So, once things calmed down I found a cheap room down by the ocean. I went to the hotel which looked nice, but the gal at the desk told me my room was across the street. I pulled into the lot, with a group of (honestly there is no better word) thugs in the parking lot. I found my room and the dead bolt had been drilled out of the door (I didn't need my key to reach in and unlock the door), the couch was nasty, the door to the adjoining room (yes, the door on my side of the double doors) had a huge hole through it. I'm sure said thugs made lots of money walking in and stealing people's stuff while they slept or while they were out using either the adjoining door or, heck, even the main door. The shower was mildewed and the tiles bulged out from the walls. The bed was positioned right under a window (which did not shut all the way) at waist height which faced a very dark alley (and it was dark even in the daylight.) I went back to the main hotel to let them know that the room was horribly unsatisfactory. They said that I had requested the economy room and those were the economy rooms. Ummm, yeah, I still expect an economy room to have some semblance of safety and cleanliness. After pitching a fit I finally got another room only after I told them I was allergic to cigarette smoke and the people next to my room were smoking and that no one had told me when reserving the room that smoking was allowed. In the end, I had a nice day away (I only stayed one night, just to get some rest and peace) and a funny (in a freaky way) story to tell. I guess I should look on the bright side: at least there was no body outline on the worn carpet.

Diane J. said...

Oh my! I didn't realize how long my previous comment was, sorry.

Thomas said...

Cops! Weird to know you were broke.

Julie said...

Great story! Just getting caught up on my blog reading....

Megan said...

LOL oh wow! I'm guessing I would've checked out too! Impressed you made it to the wedding on time! lol

prashant said...

I almost but had office the next day so well...

Work from home India

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes