Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays

Totally Awkward Tuesdays are back! Seriously! The old fashioned way!

For my awesome new readers, let me give you a brief explanation of Totally Awkward Tuesdays. One day, I was sitting around, trying to think of a fun theme to blog about weekly. Then I remembered that I am particularly good at being really, really awkward. I decided it might be amusing for you all if I blogged about some of my awkward moments, and thus, Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesday was born. (Did you notice that I used the word thus? That makes my story sound historical and accurate.)

You are all invited to play along. Here's how it works. I'll write a story about a time that I was awkward (there are a lot of them.) You'll read it and laugh or roll your eyes. Whichever. Then you think of an awkward story that happened to you. Write about it on your blog, and be sure to link back to my blog. Then, leave a comment on my blog letting me know that you participated and include a link to the awkward blog entry. I'll post the link in the body of this blog entry so that everyone can come read about your awkwardness. It'll be fun! And now, here's my awkwardness:

I don't think that I would classify myself as ever having been "boy crazy." I wasn't the type of girl who hung New Kids on the Block posters on my wall or drooled over Jonathan Taylor Thomas on Home Improvement. (Unlike my childhood best friend who was legitimately convinced that she and JTT would meet someday, fall in love, and marry. She was always telling me why they were destined for each other, using facts that she had gleaned from fine journalistic sources like Tiger Beat: "He likes girls with brown hair, and I have brown hair! We have the same favorite color! He likes to listen to music, and so do I!")

Instead, I would talk to a guy twice, develop a crush on him, and then obsess over him for the next three or four years, write his name on every available surface, tell all of my friends about him, but never actually talk to him again. I was very classy and mature like that. I have multiple stories about how awkward I was when it came to having crushes on guys. So many, in fact, that this could become a sub-series of Totally Awkward Tuesdays. But today, I'll share one that took place in sixth grade.

There was a boy in my sixth-grade class who we'll call Tim A. He was popular, funny, tall, and very cute, and even though the high point of our social interaction came when he wrote "Your very quiet but your a kool girl" in the back of my fifth grade yearbook, I was absolutely smitten. So I did what any quiet (but kool!) sixth grader would do and spent large portions of math class doodling his name in my notebook. But since I was oh-so-sneaky, I made sure to cover up his name with doodles, swirls, and squiggles. For weeks on end, I expertly hid his name in doodles so intricate that even a CIA code-breaker would never know that Tim A was the apple of the eye. Or at least, that's what I told myself. Until Jenny W called me out.

Here's what happened: the whole class was standing in line in front of the lockers (bathroom trip? lunch time? art class? Who knows. The majority of sixth grade seemed to be spent standing in line to go somewhere as a class.) Jenny W (who sat behind me in math class) was in front of me in line, and I was talking to one of my friends, sporting my awesome multi-colored plastic heart bracelet that I wore almost daily because it matched everything. Suddenly, Jenny turned around, and asked loudly enough for at least half of the line to hear, "Do you have a crush on Tim A?" My face immediately turned bright red. Obviously, my only option was to lie, so I promptly said, "No way! I don't have a crush on him!" To which Jenny replied, "Then why do you always write his name in your math notebook?"

The best liars in the world would probably be unable to come up with a lie capable of convincing an entire sixth grade class that writing a boy's name in your math notebook 4,392 times did not mean that you were in love with him, and I wasn't even a semi-good liar. For the next week or so, I was taunted regularly for my unrequited crush on Tim A. So much so, that my crush very quickly turned to something approaching disgust, and just the sight of Tim A made me feel angry and embarrassed.

I learned at that exact moment not to doodle a boy's name anywhere unless he was my boyfriend, and I avoided talking to Tim A for the rest of my life. (Literally. I think he transferred to a different school district after sixth grade, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't because of my crush.) Luckily, sixth graders have extremely short memories, and someone else did something embarrassing enough to take the focus off of me within just a few days. However, I have not, in 15 years, forgiven Jenny W.


Ok, it's your turn! Share an awkward story on your blog, link back to mine, and then include a link to your blog in the comment section! Then check out some more awkwardness by these fabulous bloggers:

Love Letters by Cora
Frannie Fires Back
Infertile Myrtle
Recovering Actor
West Coast Newlywed
and if it's a hero you want, I can save you
Write! Right?
Hopscotch and Handbags
I am Omega
True Confessions of a Single Mother
Running with Hemostats
Well Okay, Sassy Britches!
Tranqillence
Creating Blessings
Sizzling Publications

31 comments:

Girl With The Golden Touch said...

I used to do that! I never even spoke to this boy (Mark K) and i used to write in massive letters I <3 Mark K----. Did I have no shame? I never even spoke to him! He was a total scumbag as well really dirty trampy boy. I was once behind him (during my crush stages for him) and his friend said hey, the girl behind us fancies u, and he turned round looked me up and down and sighed yeah, I know, speccy four eyes and rolled his eyes.

I saw him a good few years later, when I had got contacts and straightners and got the hang of wearing good make up. I was on my way to work, he was sat outside the fish shop (as you do) and shouting oi sexy! Show us yer tits! Niiiccceeeee. Loving your blog btw :) x

Sara said...

Loved this story Tova. I've had quite a few awkward moments in my life and i'll be sure to link back to your blog when i've posted my tat.
Http://purple-dragonette.blogspot.com

Cora said...

TOVA, YOU'RE BACK!! :-)

I participated (and with illustrations this time too.) Enjoy!

http://lovelettersbycora.blogspot.com/2009/06/im-sorry-im-what.html

Cora said...

Btw, you remind me of my daughter in this story! She is in 6th grade and is madly in love with a boy she never even spoke to from last year. They never spoke. They haven't seen each other in 12 months. Yet she's convinced he is THE ONE.

*snicker*

Well, at least she's loyal, I suppose.

Gaston Studio said...

This story will resonate with just about every female out there Tova; well done!

Dollface said...

oh boy, I used to do that as well.. in face, I used to write up a script of what to say before we talked on the phone so I wouldnt run out of topics, hahaha xxxooo

Carrie said...

Yay! Tova's back!

I've actually had a similar experience. I think something to this effect happens to all girls. It's like a law of nature. I mean, we have to learn the "no doodling his name" rule somehow. :)

SkylersDad said...

Great to see you back, I hope the move went well!

FRANNIE said...

I think we all had a junior high moment like that.

I posted my awkward moment to share
Awkward Moment

Megan said...

I've got a DH that is looming over my shoulder to get back on the computer so I'm going to have to come back and really comment later, but here is mine if you want to check it out. =)

http://meganswishingwell.blogspot.com/2009/06/tat-tst-mean-girls.html

RecoveringActor said...

Glad to have you back!!! Hope the move went smoothly.

And of course I participated... and in the same vein as yours, even.

http://www.therecoveringactor.blogspot.com

noelle said...

I got a great one that just happend to me... it started with my drunk fiance and ended with me being topless in front of alot of people.

http://noellefoodie.blogspot.com/2009/06/totally-awkward.html

Legallyblondemel said...

Oh, can I ever relate to this. It was the adorable Matt in my case, who was only made less adorable when he asked my best friend out instead.

I think it took me until the senior year of college to learn that the Jedi-mind trickery and binder doodling weren't sufficient to lure the men types.

Katherine said...

Completely relate. I had the same thing happen in 7th grade. Oh, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Rachel said...

I love it! LOL.

I posted my totally awkward moment at my blog:

http://rachelnsimpson.blogspot.com/2009/06/totally-awkward-tuesday-take-1.html

.::L said...

My first one!!!

http://writethewords.blogspot.com/2009/06/totally-awkward-tuesday.html

Jasmine said...

Haha. Sounds like me when I was that age, too. :)

Cee said...

Haha yeah I had exactly the same problem at school :S

Anyway here's mine:

http://hopscotchandhandbags.blogspot.com/

Enjoy :)

KekeLynn said...

hahaha! I think every adolescent girl has written at least one boy's name all over their notebook!

Omega said...

I think form grade 6 until the end of highschool life is a series of awkward moments. You can find my awkward moment at http://i-am-omega.blogspot.com/

Raine said...

You inspire me!!
http://trueconfessionsofasinglemother.blogspot.com/2009/06/totally-awkward-tuesday.html

Cat said...

Nice one.

My awkward moment involves a guy and a phone. http://www.runningwithhemostats.com/2009/06/what-happens-when-i-use-home-phone.html

J.J. in L.A. said...

My 6th grade crush was on a 'hunk' named Alex J. and it ended after my brother told him. Luckily, he moved to Washington soon after. I'm 99% sure it wasn't because of me. ; )

Alatariel said...

I totally loved the idea, so I wrote another blog (despite having written one already today) just to participate in this little event!

You can find it here: http://tranquillence.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

Tova! Beautiful awkward moment (is that an onxymoron?!) I enjoyed it and posted my first TAT moment.
Love the blog :)

Stephanie
http://stephaniemariem.blogspot.com/

Ebony Haywood said...

Lol. Wow. I've had a few a fatal crush moments in my life. Thanks for sharing, Tova. Hope you find some humor in my totally awkward moment. Peace and blessings... http://sizzlingpublications.blogspot.com/

Alissa said...

Tova - new to the blogosphere but love, love, love Totally Awkward Tuesday! I had more than my share of mortifying boy moments in junior high...and high school...and still:)

Megan said...

Oh no! Yeah, that's definitely embarrassing. I, also, used to spend countless hours writing, doodling, daydreaming about different boys. I'd always be so embarrassed if anyone saw, but I don't think anyone ever called me out on it. Agony, for sure!

anton g said...

I've had crushes on girls and have done similar stuff as well (even though I am a male). I guess, you can put it down to being human and not categorizing it as male or female behaviour.

nonstopfeisty said...

Hi Tova, I love you're blog! I'm a bit late because I myself have been sick so I've not been online for a few days. I decided for the first time ever to share an awkward tale of my own. It can be found at http://pcosbattleground.blogspot.com/

The post is titled Humiliation at the hands of an evil chair. Enjoy everyone!

prashant said...

I saw him a good few years later, when I had got contacts and straightners and got the hang of wearing good make up.

Work from home India

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes