Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dr. Darling, unemployment, and a bow tie

Yesterday, Mr. Darling (along with every other new resident in the country) started his residency! I'm so excited and proud that I can barely contain myself! I made him wake me up before he left for work (at 5:30 am) so that I could take his picture on his first day (which made him feel like he was in elementary school all over again). Since it was 5:30 in the morning, I didn't notice the flashing message on my camera that said "No Memory Card," so my camera pretended it was taking pictures, and when I woke up again four hours later, I realized that I had no pictures of Mr. D on his first day. *Sigh.* Oh well - these things happen, I suppose. I took his picture when he got home, so that'll just have to do.

So, I'm currently unemployed. It's weird. Sometimes, I'm a fan of unemployment (I get to sleep in and do whatever I want, whenever I want.) But it also makes me feel kind of... listless and unproductive. I haven't been unemployed in at least nine years, so it's a strange feeling. I plan to get a job when the summer is over, but I'm in a friend's wedding this month, I have plans to visit my sister, and Mr. Darling and I will be visiting his family, and I didn't think it would work for me to get a job and then say, "Oh, by the way, I'll need to take three weeks off." It probably wouldn't have gone over very well.

The other thing to consider is that Mr. Darling's schedule will be a bit crazy. It'll be different every month - sometimes he'll work more "normal" hours on Monday through Friday, and other months he'll work nights and weekends. So what I really, really don't want to do is get a job with a strict schedule that might mean I hardly get to see my husband. Right now, my ideal job is to be a substitute teacher, but I don't know yet if that's going to work... cross your fingers for me!

In the interest of making money and having a flexible schedule, I took an "independent contractor" position as a sample-passer-outer in a grocery store last week. Honestly, it was humiliating. Passing out samples wasn't actually too bad. The horrible part was the uniform. I had to wear a tuxedo shirt and a bow tie, and let me assure you - I did not look cute in them. At all. If I could've passed out the samples while wearing normal clothes, I would've been fine, but please explain to me why cross-dressing is considered professional looking. You'd never expect a guy to wear a ballgown while he was working (well, maybe... if his job was cross-dressing), so why is a woman expected to wear a tuxedo shirt and a bow tie? I looked like an idiot. I did it once, but I'm probably not going to do it again... unless we are in dire need of money. (The weird thing was that some guys actually hit on me while I was wearing that outfit. Maybe I have a cute head, because everything else looked ridiculous.)

If one of you would like to pay me to blog, I'd be much obliged. Otherwise, you can look forward to hearing about my job hunting.

25 comments:

Mrs. Newlywed said...

Good luck with finding a job! I think you were right to wait until the summer is over. You sound so busy!!

Carrie said...

If I had the money to spare, I'd definitley pay you Tova! Haha. Unfortunatley for us, we're both going to stay broke for a while. ;)

Luck with the job search, and congrats to Dr. Darling on his first day! :)

Auntie Em said...

You can "monetize" your blog and make money that way... i don't know how much and I thought you already did it but who knows. :)

EmmyLine said...

Good Luck with the job hunting! I hope you find something fabulous!

Former Fat Chick said...

yeah Tova, go ahead and monetize you 11 cents! hahahaa, that's how much I had the last time I checked!

Charisse said...

Well hello there. I remember that same feeling last summer. I left my job of 9 years to spend more time with my daughter. A manager in the busy retail world while I was trying to be a (GOOD) single mother just constantly kept me bogged down. Sounds like waiting for a while to get a new job is a good idea, though.

Fidgeting Gidget said...

I bet you were so cute, doting on Dr. D so early in the morning! Good luck with the job hunting. I hope you have better luck than I did a couple years ago...I got sort of depressed after a while. You don't seem like the type to sit around and mope like I did, though. Keep us posted!

Dollface said...

good luck job hunting! sorry for the mishap this morning with your camera!! xxxooo

Cathy said...

Enjoy your summer off - and good luck finding a job when the time comes!

and congrats to Dr. Darling :)

FRANNIE said...

I noticed one other commentor already stated you could monetize your blog, but it looks like you have ads in the top left column. You could try spreading a few others around your site.

With 1000+ plus followers we should all be able to give each other a little love ;).

Frannie

Hazwani said...

Oh yeah. Congrats on his first day!! Must be so exciting for both of you.

Keep posting!! :)

Sandi said...

Tova darling, There are days I would pay you to blog. Because those are the days I have 100 things to blog about and no time to do it. How do you feel about blogging under the influence of 14 children?

tamara hellgren said...

Speaking from a similar experience, don't waste any of your precious free time this summer feeling guilty about having time off, or trying to find ways to "be productive". Just enjoy it!

Catch up on sleep, catch up on reading, explore your new city, and enjoy your family visits and the fact that you can spend time with your husband and hear about his new job without your own work issues occupying your thoughts.

Trust me, you'll be back in career mode soon enough, and you'll feel great if you know you took full advantage of your "summer vacation".

I wish I could offer you advice about monetizing your blog (wouldn't it be great if we could all get paid what we're worth for blogging?), but if you came across any unwanted stuff while unpacking there's always ebay!

Good luck!

Diane J. said...

I like your plan for waiting until the end of summer.

Congrats to Dr. D and here's to a great summer for you both!

Tranquility said...

Haha. You raised a good point in your cross dressing comment. It really is silly to expect a girl to wear male clothes for any occasion!

Princess Andy said...

yippee for your hubs...you must be so proud.

and here's to being paid to blog!

i'll always raise a glass o' vino to that...

andy

Katherine said...

I'm impressed that you would be willing to consider something that required a costume.

How did Mr. D's first day go?

momokopeaches said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. Love your wit and sense of humour. Good luck with your job hunt!

Auishtha said...

Hope you find a job soon :)

Dingo said...

My mom and her best friend love going to Whole Foods and making a morning/afternoon of sampling. They've gotten to know some of the sampler passer outers and even bake them cookies. So, if two sixtish something ladies who look like Lucy and Ethel give you cookies, tell Mom I said "hi" and that I'll give her a call this afternoon.

wendy said...

This is really very funny to me...maybe because I, too, am in search of a job and am thinking substitute teacher might just be what I want (purely for the flexibility). Truth be told, I'd rather have a more steady financial contribution to my family.

Happy cross-dressing! LOL!

Gaston Studio said...

Congrats on hubby's residency Tova!

Why don't you try freelance writing or something else you can do from home?

Jane

Meandering Mel said...

I hear you. I did a stint of passing out samples, and it freaking sucked. But I did get to see a hippy lady with a goatee, and the ugliest tranny on the face of the planet.
I got lucky, I only had to wear a white button up, with a regular black tie (thank god it wasn't a bow tie!) and an apron.
I freaking hated it.
Good luck on the hunt.

dignity--. said...

Don't feel "listless" hun.
There's plenty of things you can make your day productive by. For instance making your new house your dream house. Renovate small parts of your house in cheap ways. Find vintage stores (always fun), go hunt for organic food stores, make new friends at cafe's. If worse comes to worse and you feel so jobless, volunteer! Volunteering is a great way to help and also very rewarding. Start a volunteer group in your area! Make your neighbourhood as clean and eco friendly as possible. It'll certainly make a good impression on your neighbours and you'll definitely make new friends.

Mrs4444 said...

Enjoy your break. As the wife of a resident, you're probably in for a wild ride schedule-wise, so you deserve this downtime :)

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes