Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mr. Darling's Totally Awkward Tuesday

As the title suggests, today's Totally Awkward Tuesday comes to you courtesy of Mr. Darling, who told me this story of something that happened to him last week and made me cringe (and then laugh really hard).

Most professionals in any field know that it's a bad idea to say negative things about a colleague to anyone else unless you know the person you're talking to very well (and even then, it may be a bad idea.) Mr. (Dr.) Darling, who is utterly amazing, is of course also very professional, and he's not the type to talk badly about his coworkers under normal circumstances - or even abnormal circumstances, for that matter.

However, last week, he was working with an attending physician (whom we'll call Dr. Attending) and another new resident (whom we'll call Dr. Resident). He hasn't spent much time working with either of them before, since they're in a different department than he is (and also because he's been working at the hospital for less than a month), so he doesn't know either of them terribly well. For some reason, Dr. Attending was being extremely rude to Dr. Resident - very insulting and demeaning, and generally just being a jerk. Dr. Darling was feeling bad for Dr. Resident, who didn't seem to deserve the abuse. Almost anyone would feel embarrassed at being berated in front of another colleague, so after Dr. Attending walked away, Dr. Darling sympathized with Dr. Resident by saying, "Wow, what a jerk!"

To which Dr. Resident replied, "She's my cousin."

Umm... oops.

Share your own cringe-worthy moment on your blog, link back to mine so that your friends know to join in the fun, and then share a link to your Totally Awkward post by entering it below.


16 comments:

Judi said...

Wow Another laugh-out-loud post. And I did NOT see that one coming! In fact, still laughing!

Tabatha said...

Classic foot-in-mouth. :)

Ebony Haywood said...

LOL! Omigosh! I once had a very wise person say to me, "be careful about what you say to other people, because you never know who you're talking to." I agree with Tabatha, this is definetly a classic foot-in-mouth situation.

Jasmine said...

Wow, haha. :) OOPS!

tea for tessa said...

YAY! I finally get to post a story on here! I have been wanting to for weeks- you have such good ones!

That is a bummer about Mr. Darling, but seriously, just because it was that guys cousin does NOT excuse the fact that she was being a huge jerk. All in all, it was necessary and deep down probably made Dr. Resident feel good.

Anyways, here's mine!

http://teafortessa.blogspot.com/2009/07/steady-as-she-goesbeing-awkward.html

Have a good day!

Kayleen Bonilla said...

hah! (: that was just wow! Please just take five seconds to look at my new blog http://lifeoutsideafishbowl.blogspot.com
Please & thank you! (:

PS love this blog!

J.J. in L.A. said...

If Dr. R wants to put up with that (cousin or not), so be it, but I would've said, "Well, in my opinion, she was still a jerk."

Of course, this would depend on whether there was even the slightest chance they'd (Dr. Darling and Dr. A) would work together again, because you KNOW Dr. R would tell her what he said.

Megan said...

Hahaha!! Classic! Poor guy! *snicker*

Rachel said...

Insert foot in mouth! LOL. Been there...

Katherine said...

Embarrasing! But still, being related shouldn't give you special privledge to embarrase someone in public.

I only complain about attendings and other residents to my husband, who doesn't know any of them.

Jules said...

oops! Dr. Resident has GOT to feel the same at times too, though. And I would imagine "jerk" isn't the word that comes to mind! I'm updating my link to you right now :)

Diane J. said...

Oh my goodness! Cringing and laughing.

Shels DarkChocolate said...

Lol... OMG, oops indeed.
I find ur blog quite amusing, keep them coming.
As a new blogger I find your blog quite interesting.

NINA said...

Loved it, as always!

My link to my post:
http://ninastheories.blogspot.com/2009/07/cultural-differences.html

Vodka Mom said...

omg that was funny.........

Gertrude Groggins - said...

Cousin or not. A jerk's a jerk. I hope Mr. (Dr.) Darling didn't feel bad!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes