Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesday

Today I'm going to mix things up, and instead of sharing just one Totally Awkward moment, I'll share details of a Totally Awkward relationship I was once in... kind of.

To start, I met the guy on the website Hot or Not (sharing that with you all feels like an awkward moment in itself). He sent me a message after my college roommate and I had posted our pictures online to find out if we were hot... or not. Anyway, I was single for Valentine's Day that year (it was about three months after I'd met Mr. Darling and two months before we actually started dating), and the Hot or Not guy, who we'll call John, asked me on a date, so I said yes. (I met him in a public place and did not expose myself to possible danger... just so you know.) We went to dinner (I forget where) and then to a movie (I can't remember which one), and at the theater we ran into Holly, who has been a friend of mine since eighth grade. She asked how we'd met, and he promptly told her that we'd met on Hot or Not, which embarrassed me to no end. He later accidentally insulted Holly by making a negative comment about her profession.

Our first kiss was in my college apartment. We were sitting on the floor (one of my roommates had moved out at the end of the previous semester and had taken the couch with her) watching a movie, when John leaned in and kissed me. He then pulled back and gazed into my eyes, at which point I sweetly said, "Stop staring at me! Why are you staring at me?" (Seriously, I'm so smooth.)

On our third date, he introduced me to all of his friends, who referred to me as his girlfriend and made me feel extremely uncomfortable. At this point, I had started "talking" more with Mr. Darling, and I realized that I was very interested in dating Mr. D, even though he lived 1,000 miles away from me at that point. This led to my very awkward "breakup" with John, which went something like this:

Me: Um, there's this guy who I met in November, and I've been talking to him for a while, and I'm kind of hoping that something happens with him, so I don't think that it's really fair for me to be dating you while waiting to see if something happens with him.
John: But you're not dating him now?
Me: Well, no. He lives in (name of state that's a thousand miles away).
John: What?? Is he moving here?
Me: Um, no.
John: Is he coming to visit you?
Me: Um, well, he hasn't made any plans to.
John: Has he said that he wants to come see you?
Me: Well, not exactly...
John: So let me get this straight. You could date any guy you want. You could throw a stick up in the air in a room full of guys, and whatever guy it hit when it fell, you could date if you wanted to (this is pretty much a direct quote, which I remember because it seemed like kind of a funny thing to say), but instead of dating a guy who lives near you and who you know actually likes you, you're breaking up with me for a guy who lives a thousand miles away?
Me: Um, yeah... pretty much. I'm really sorry.

As it turned out, my intuition that Mr. Darling was someone really special turned out to be correct, so at least I felt vindicated about my reason for not dating John. Although, I guess even if it hadn't worked out and I wanted a new boyfriend, I could've just gone into a room full of guys and thrown a stick.

Ok, so share your own story about an awkward moment on your blog. If you have an awkward relationship story, feel free to share it. If not, share whatever awkward story you've got! Be sure to link back to my blog from yours so that your friends and readers can play along. Then, link directly back to your awkward post using MckLinky below.

24 comments:

Judi said...

Wow - that's some pretty fantastic intuition to have! And from the way youdescribe Dr. Darling, I'd say that any awkwardness was worth the price to end up together, eh? Those are some pretty darn awkward moments, though. Gotta hand it to ya, once again.

NINA said...

Excellent story! I did too meet a guy from an internet page, but always on the safe side!

Left my link to me Totally Awkward Tuesday, although lately is Totally Awkward Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

http://ninastheories.blogspot.com/2009/07/ooops.html

Auishtha said...

Hahaha! The hot or not guy break-up episode was too funny.

And I gladly salute your intuition. It seemed that you knew firsthand, that you were meant to be. :)

.::L said...

haha nice... i actually went through a very similar situation. it's so weird when someone else says boy or girlfriend first when you're not thinking it's that serious. then you go from potentially just ditching the person to having to actually BREAK UP with them.

miss. chief said...

oh, yeah, the old "throw a stick in the air" pickup, works every time. that's how i met my last 2 boyfriends!

Former Fat Chick said...

That EXACTLY how I met my husband of 19 years! He wasn;t even mad I had poked his eye out, after about like 5 years and 2 kids. Now he agrees the eye patch IS sexy.

SkylersDad said...

I have a history of being the guy you dumped. I have had this conversation so many times it plays out like a recording through my head.

Just Add Walter said...

great intuition!! glad it all worked out!!

Dollface said...

thats a great story... my mr perfect was my first slow dance and turned into the man I am living with :) xxxoooo

Jules said...

Wow, you chose a guy 1000 miles away vs. throwing a stick? At least John didn't lose out to a room full of stick-catchers!

Dani said...

That is so funny! :) Great story

Ebony Haywood said...

if i ever find myself single again maybe i'll give that stick trick a try...

Emmalane said...

I was once on hot or not....wowzers that takes me back!

Oh and the stick thing had me laughing. I don't think I could've handled a guy seriously saying something like that, talk about out of left field!

Gina said...

What a great story!

Stephanie said...

Oh this is too funny! I love it! I posted my own awkward relationship moment... have a look!

Gertrude Groggins - said...

I can't believe I forgot it was TAT yesterday!!!
Maybe next week I'll embarrass myself with two stories.
Anyway, "Although, I guess even if it hadn't worked out and I wanted a new boyfriend, I could've just gone into a room full of guys and thrown a stick" had me laughing out loud in my office!

Maya said...

Haha! Lovely story! Good thing you made the right decision and didn't throw stick to anyone :D I love your blog! It's so funny, saves my day. :)

Miss M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss M. said...

2nd try... me and my bad English ! :D

humm...A week ago I actually wanted to blog about a terrible date I had but than I though maybe I shouldn't, I don't even know ecxactly why...maybe too private...Now I will !! :D

Me, Myself and I said...

I can relate. I had a pretty awkward breakup once.

I was going out with this guy for a couple of weeks and before we went out we were really good friends. I was having doubts and finally decided that I thought of him too much as a friend and I wanted to break up. He said that it was totally fine because he liked someone else anyway! I was a little offended but, got over it pretty quickly because, well, it ended the way I wanted it to anyway. :) Haha. Middle school relationships. You gotta love em!

Me, Myself & I

Raine said...

I need a date.. do you think the stick thing could work for me too??

Khmer iT, Blogger Template, Worpress Themes, Movie, Music download said...

nice blog i like

spontaneityanonymous said...

At risk of sounding like a total stalker, I just want you to know that your blog kept me completely entertained for a few hours a few days ago...I read the whole thing. (What can I say? I was really bored, and I really love your blog!)

Anyway, TAT is one of my favorites - my life is the definition of awkward, so I can relate. At least it gives me some interesting things to blog about. :)

Keep it up!

SimplyValorie said...

Wow, that's probably the best TAT yet. And also probably the most awkward relationship ever. And I thought I was awkward!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes