Monday, July 13, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesdays

(I'm posting this Monday evening, because scheduling the posts to appear on Tuesdays hasn't worked for me the past few weeks, and I know that some of you night owls like to get your posts in during the wee hours of Tuesday morning, when I will definitely be sound asleep.)

A few weeks ago, I shared a Totally Awkward story about how I pseudo-stalked this guy, Kevin, at summer camp. In case some of you were still wondering why Kevin didn't fall madly in love with me, I just remembered another awkward Kevin moment. It's seriously kind of amazing that I'm married, with all of the guys I managed to drive away.

This particular incident took place during one of the three summers in my early teens when I was madly in love with Kevin - I'm pretty sure it was before the summer where I used up an entire roll of film snapping off blurry, unrecognizable photos of him. As I mentioned on the last TAT that featured Kevin, my cousin Hannah attended summer camp with me. We are three months apart in age and have always been super close. We both had our quirks, and since mine have been featured in dozens of awkward posts, let's focus on hers for a second: Hannah is the youngest of four kids - four boys, to be more precise - so she was something of a tomboy, very outgoing, could be very silly, and liked to play practical jokes. Usually, it was funny. Sometimes - like when you were trying to eat - it wasn't quite as funny.

A typical meal with Hannah at summer camp might involve spit balls, loosening the top of the salt and pepper shakers so that the next unsuspecting user would end up with a pile of salt on their plate, and random items dropped into your drink the second you looked away. If you were actually hungry, trying to eat while shielding your food and drink from flying shrapnel could be a bit much.

One day at lunch, Hannah, Mae and I had strategically positioned ourselves at a table with a very good view of Kevin and his friends. Hannah was particularly wound up that day, so in between sneaking glances at the boys, she was putting salt and pepper on mine and Mae's plates, dropping things into our drinks, eating our chips, and generally making it hard to concentrate on the most important part of lunch, which was boy-watching, of course.

Finally, I had had enough. I picked up my large glass filled with Sprite (and green beans, courtesy of Hannah), and dumped it ALL over her lunch. And then I looked up... to see Kevin... the man of my dreams... staring at me like I was a psychotic toddler. I'd been trying to catch his attention all week, and naturally the moment he actually looked at me happened to be the exact moment that I decided to drown Hannah's lunch. I was easily embarrassed at that age, anyway, but being caught acting hideously immature by my crush turned my face even more shades of red than normal. Since he was at a different table (and since I was painfully shy around boys), I couldn't even explain to Kevin that I was just giving Hannah back the green beans she'd dropped in my Sprite.

To her credit, Hannah helped me clean up the mess (I'm sure the cafeteria staff wanted to strangle us), and then we made a hasty retreat from the cafeteria. And this, my friends, is just another reason that Kevin managed to avoid falling in love with my womanly charms.

Ok, share your own awkward moment by entering a link to your Totally Awkward blog post in McLinky below! Don't forget to link back to my blog from yours so that everyone can play along!

15 comments:

Judi said...

Oh man, that's great. Or really awful, actually. Regardless, GREAT story-telling. You set up that lunch-drowning moment so well that I laughed out loud being able to picture exactly what that would look like.

Tabatha said...

Of course that's when he'd notice you, because at that age, boys have some special kind of radar that alerts them to the most painfully awkward moments which we never quite get over.

At least Hannah was a good sport about it. :)

yellaalley95 said...

Total bummer! LOL, at least Hannah helped you clean it up...

Ebony Haywood said...

he was a loser. some guys would have been turned on by your "hot agressiveness." ;>

Big Ugly said...

I've lived pretty much my whole life in a perpetual state of awkwardness...I can totally relate...

FRANNIE said...

I think Mr. Darling totally loves you because of your awkwardness.

Really, where would you be without it :).

Auishtha said...

I wouldn't be surprised if he thought you escaped from an asylum. :)

Moxie said...

I still don't see why he didn't totally fall in love with you! :)

JenJen said...

Great story as ususal Tova!!!

Raine said...

Kevin doesnt even know what he's missing!

Jules said...

I bet Kevin was impressed. Maybe to the point of intimidation? I think you should start making a TAT book for the tween-age girl, to show her it's possible to overcome awkwardness!!

dangerkitty said...

I think Kevin was in awe of your awesomeness. :-)

Georgie K. Buttons said...

I had a Kevin crush in my life once. It was...interesting.

Rita said...

I left you an award on my blog, please check it out!

lacherie_17 said...

You're a great storyteller, and I love the whole secret blog thing! I'm definitely becoming a follower...

And I'm eternally awkward. Ask any guy I've ever attracted to, lol!


http://lacherieandme.blogspot.com

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes