Thursday, August 6, 2009

Nature Girl

I'm going camping tonight. In a tent. If you're thinking, "that's interesting... I didn't really picture Tova as the camping type," you are absolutely right. This is only the second time I've ever been. The first time was with my former best friend when we were in college. She woke up one day and decided we should go camping. And so we did.

Here are a few highlights from the trip:
  • We locked my friend's keys in the trunk of her car for an hour... before she remembered that there was a trunk-release latch in her car... and the doors were all open.
  • When we showed up at the campsite, she was wearing a skirt and I was wearing flip flops with kitten heels. We probably looked like Paris and Nicole in The Simple Life. Who wears kitten heels camping? Me, that's who.
  • We removed the tent from the bag and realized that we had no idea how to set up a tent. We stood there looking forlorn until several men and a small child came and set up our tent. The child was about 8 years old, and was a much better camper than the two of us put together.
  • During our trip, other campers also: 1.) Dug a fire pit for us. 2.)Lent us cooking utensils. 3.) Lit our grill. 4.) Gave us food. We didn't ask for any of these things; we just looked like such total misfits that everyone felt sorry for us.
  • We were almost attacked by seagulls, because I got the bright idea of throwing them a handful of pretzels.
  • Camping seemed like a great time to work on our tans, so we coated ourselves with baby oil and got so horribly sunburnt that we could only wear bikinis or loose-fitting clothing for a week after our trip.
  • Our air mattress deflated every night so that we woke up laying on the ground.

The trip was supposed to last for five days, but we only could handle three. We also videotaped the whole thing. The video was edited by a friend of ours who set it to music and produced the funniest twenty minute camping film you've ever seen.

Anyway, I'm camping with Mr. Darling, and I'm pretty excited. He's definitely more capable of surviving outdoors than I am, so it'll probably go more smoothly than my last camping experience. Just keep your fingers crossed that I don't get eaten by a bear.

30 comments:

Hap said...

An air mattress on a camping trip? So much for "roughing it"! hahaha! I love camping and have been doing it with close friends regularly (every 3 months maybe). Good luck on your next trip, and I'm sure you'll have a great time since you're with your hubby!

The Peach Tart said...

Make it a fun romantic trip, well as much as you can when you're camping but I know you can do it because you are Tova Darling.

Call Me Cate said...

Hope you have a great time! I camped once with Joe. We only lasted about 2 nights before our campsite had been attacked by a skunk and we left the tent open during a rainstorm. Also, someone stole my shampoo and we couldn't light a fire. Total failure - but we still laugh about it.

Rachel said...

I'm sure you won't get eaten by a bear, but best of luck to you! Try not to wear heals... they get stuck in the mud and dirt. :)

miss. chief said...

the kitten heels thing reminds me of something my boyfriend's kid said to him when they were roasting hotdogs over the fire on a camping trip that included a huge hike through the forest

"where's the ketchup?"
"we didn't bring ketchup"
"NO KETCHUP? we really are roughing it"

Carrie said...

Hahaha. That sounds about like my one and only camping trip. :) Better luck this time!

Sassy Chica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sassy Chica said...

I love camping!! Here is my advice...pack must have products (ie:shampoo,lotion,etc) with No to Low scents. This will help keep the bugs away...and apply sunscreen as soon as you wake up!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Married to a med student - Marissa Nicole said...

Whats with the "former best friend" are there any old posts that would explain that? Hope you have a lot of fun camping - camping is so much more enjoyable when you have a sweet guy to do all the setting up and cooking! ;)

Diane J. said...

Good luck and have fun!

Mrs. Foodie said...

I am the same way! The only reason I go camping is because my husband is an Eagle Scout. He is in charge, and tells me what to do when we venture into the great outdoors.

Tranquility said...

I love spending time outdoors, but I'm not at all into sleeping on the ground or not having a shower conveniently located, so I don't really envy your upcoming trip.

Some people love camping though and just maybe you will find that you really are a camping person after all. ;)

Remember to put your food where the animals won't get into it, wear lots of bug spray, and don't get eaten by anything!

Good luck!

Optimistic Pessimist said...

camping scares me. i used to do it all the time until i realized there were tons of creept things out in the woods...which is why sober camping is not a good idea.

FRANNIE said...

Good luck hun.

My idea of camping is a hotel without room service. :)

Candice said...

We used to go camping on the coast of WA. It was beautiful, our campground was on a bluff over looking the ocean. Haven't been since we had kids... we used to go 1-2 times a year. Definitely had some mishaps along the way. Rainstorms causing flooding in the tent so we slept in the car, raccoons scared the crap out of me when Tim and I were sitting around the fire drinking boxed wine (classy eh? yet convenient...no glass), Tim got horribly sunburnt on his head due to no hat on the beach. His closely cut hair wasn't enough. Remember, even though it appears hazy or cloudy you can still get burned! lather up on sunblock! The one best camping memory: we conceived our 1st child on our very last camping trip. TMI? maybe, but it turned out great! Have fun with Dr. Darling!

J-Diggety said...

Haha, you planned for 5 days of camping for your first camping trip?!?! Oh girl... I'm a CO girl who loves the great outdoors, but I have my limits ;) Kudos to you for trying... AND I'm sure this will go better since you know to leave the kitten heels at home and you have Dr. Darling by your side :) Have fun!

J.J. in L.A. said...

Camping is great! When you're a kid. I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, I but I want to see that video!!! lol!

Ebony Haywood said...

i haven't been camping in years for similar reasons...have fun!

Moxie said...

Doesn't that flash back of camping trip numero uno count as a TAT post? Too bad it's Thursday. :)

I went camping when I was in Girl Scouts, but it wasn't real camping. We were staying in cabins.

Have tons of fun, and watch out for the bears!!

Georgie K. Buttons said...

And I thought I was a horrible camper. Great post.

Wannabe said...

My friends keep trying to convince me to go camping. I'm convinced that after a couple of days watching me huddled in fear away from insects and listening to me whimper at strange noises, they'd no longer respect me and want to be friends. I'm too chicken for time in the woods, so more power to you for having the guts. Have a great time!

JenJen said...

My friend decided to arrange "tentapalooza" in his backyeard. All the dads and kids were going.
If God wanted me to camp, he wouldn't have let us create the HOTEL.
just sayin'

Jantastic said...

Hope camping goes better this time. I personally love to camp. Good luck.

Jules said...

How did I miss this one? Oh, perhaps the joys of my own camping experience last week blocked out all camping-related posts. Nature's great. Beds are better. Hope it was fun!

ÄsK AliCë said...

Aww I love camping! It reminds me of bring a kid...smores!! Have fun :)

I sooo want to see that video - new post??

ÄsK AliCë said...

PS - bring a kid = being a kid

Yvonne Todd said...

Today I am crowning you! For the details, check out my blog: http://blueseehorse.blogspot.com/

Megan said...

LOL That's hilarious! I could totally picture everything. I've been camping a few times while growing up and a few times with hubby. We're actually going camping next week. I don't exactly like tent camping and we're going to be with the inlaws and some other families. Should be interesting to say the least.

But two girls camping, alone, for 3 days and having all these different people come to your rescue? Priceless!

SimplyValorie said...

That sounds like so much fun! I hope you've learned to not wear heels this time around! ;] Blog about the experience soon!

gg said...

性感內衣,情人趣味愛蜜莉,
跳蛋影片,自慰,

跳蛋情人趣味,情人趣味用品,
情人節禮物,情人趣味愛戀,
情趣用具,
跳蛋,情趣用,

按摩棒,按摩棒,
飛機杯loveoyea,吊帶襪,
自慰器,自慰杯,
情人趣味用品液,影音情人趣味,
情趣用品,情趣,
情人趣味千奈,情人趣味用品店,
情趣味用品,情趣用具店,


情趣,情趣用品,

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes