Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tova's Totally Awkward Tuesday

I almost feel like I'm cheating by using this story as a Totally Awkward Tuesday, since I already mentioned it on Twitter, but it was extremely awkward, so I thought I'd flesh it out for those of you who aren't following me on Twitter. (Speaking of which, why aren't you?)

Two Tuesdays ago, I flew back from a fabulous visit with my sister. I love flying, but on this particular flight, I had the middle seat between two other people, which is my least favorite seat on a plane. (I'm pretty sure that's everyone's least favorite seat.) About half an hour into the flight, I realized that I needed to go to the bathroom, but I hate making people get up so that I can get out of my seat. Plus, the woman in the aisle seat fell asleep, and I didn't want to wake her up. So I decided to hold it. That was my first mistake.

When we finally landed an hour and a half later, I thought my bladder might burst, and then, of course, there was a delay because another plane was still at our gate. After what seemed like forever, I finally got off the plane, at which point my need to go to the bathroom was nearing emergency status. I knew that Mr. Darling was waiting for me, but it was an absolute necessity that I use the bathroom before meeting him. As soon as I got out of the plane, I started speed-walking in the direction that seemed likeliest to lead to a bathroom. Finally, I saw the "Restroom" sign, and I sprinted towards it, turned into a little hallway, and ran into the bathroom, carrying my gigantic purse and wheeling my carry-on bag. I ran to the first open stall, pulled all of my stuff into it, and then turned to close the stall door.

The bathroom (like just most other public restrooms) was set up so that the stalls were facing the sinks which were in front of a gigantic mirror. As I turned to close the stall door, I noticed that the woman at the sink directly in front of me had very short hair. Then I noticed the face reflecting in the mirror - the "woman" with short hair was actually a man. I felt a brief embarassment for the poor man who had wandered into the women's restroom by mistake... until I noticed that there were also men at every other sink in the bathroom.

Yes, somehow, I had not only run into a very crowded men's restroom, but I had also failed to notice that I was rushing past several men in my hurry to get to the stall. I stood there in shock for a minute, then grabbed my bag and ran back toward the exit. As I came out of the bathroom, I nearly collided with two women who had been sitting near me on the plane. They looked at me, looked at the large sign by the door that said "Men," and then one of them asked the obvious question - "Were you just in the men's restroom?"

To make matters worse, I then had to walk with them the rest of the way down the hall until we all reached the proper restroom.

In the future, I'll gladly wake up any sleeping airline passengers so that I can go to the plane's unisex bathroom.

So what's your awkward moment? Share it on your own blog, link back to mine from yours, then link up below!

17 comments:

Moxie said...

I remember that tweet, and it was my first ever "favorited" tweet.

The only other one I have favorited is when some Cheese bot retweeted my tweet about how when I grow up, I am totally going to have my bachorlette party at Chuck E. Cheese's.

I know too many people who walked into the wrong bathroom at times. I have come close, and I'm not sure if I have ever accidentally walked into the boys bathroom... But my day will come. I'm sure of it.

Scope said...

Since you were already there, why not process the transaction?

I have not walked into the wrong restroom yet, but sometimes the "cute" names that they put on them and then don't have the signs have made me wait until someone came out. (Mexican restaurants in Belgium shouldn't use cute Spanish words!)

Thought I would join in on the Totally Awkward Tuesday parade.

Judi said...

This is an awkward story, for sure. But if it makes you feel any better, I thought you were going to say that you had to go so badly that you went in the men's bathroom anyway. That's what I have done, err... I mean, that's what I would've done. :) Oh, and I guess I'll look you up on Twitter...

NINA said...

Great story! and I admire the fact that you didn't run out of the airport after the episode.
THere's a classy lady!
Love your blog, your inspiration to many.
Just shared my awkward moment!

http://ninastheories.blogspot.com/

J.J. in L.A. said...

An hour and a half? I'm impressed!!! I usually can't even wait a half hour. And I've gone in a men's restroom...at a church.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

My most recent experience in the men's room was quite disgusting, but I went in on purpose. Bad idea. At least the men there were all drunk.

Next time I'm on a plane, I'll remember to pee while I can! How awkward.

JenJen said...

Men's bathrooms are inviting in the way that there is never a line. Wait. That should've been a cue that you were going in the wrong spot, come to think of it!!

Jules said...

I do not tweet, so I'm glad you shared the story! (Sorry it happened to you, but glad you shared) :)

LegalMist said...

I don't tweet, and I'm not on facebook. Blogging takes enough time as it is! So I'm really glad you shared this story here. Hilarious!

Katherine said...

Hilarious! I haven't yet gone in the wrong bathroom, but I worry about it all the time. I check the door 2-3 times before going in, then I always check for "female products" dispensers.

Raine said...

The guys were probably PSYCHED!

cherie said...

I somehow have a feeling the men were probably thrilled to see your kind in their natural habitat. Good stuff!

LegalMist said...

I'm not used to you being away for a whole week! Hope all is well...

prashant said...

Great story! and I admire the fact that you didn't run out of the airport after the episode.
How to make a website

NINA said...

I'm a bit sad...no tova's awkward tuesday...

I'm leaving my link here in the meantime:

http://ninastheories.blogspot.com/2009/08/totally-awkward-tuesday-be-always.html

goodeda1122 said...

男女,潤滑液,
SM,情趣內衣,內衣,性感內衣,角色扮演,角色扮演服,吊帶襪,丁字褲,情趣用品,情趣用品,飛機杯,自慰套

自慰套,自慰器,情趣,自慰套,情趣,視訊交友,充氣娃娃,性感丁字褲,AV,按摩棒,電動按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,

按摩棒,變頻跳蛋,跳蛋,無線跳蛋,G點,

prashant said...

I know too many people who walked into the wrong bathroom at times

Work from home India

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes