After a blogging absence this long, I feel like I should have a really awesome excuse, such as "My computer self-destructed" or "I lost both of my hands in a hideous typing accident," but the truth of the matter is that there is no good reason for me being MIA from the blogosphere for the past four months. None. Seriously. I can't even make anything up that sounds semi-plausible, so I'm just going to move on and pretend that I didn't randomly abandon my blog for no particular reason. Those of you who are still subscribers despite four months of silence are awesome and sexy. Or you forgot to unsubscribe. But either way, thanks! I am looking forward to visiting all of your blogs again! Except that one random guy whose blog I've never read but who asked where I bought my writing degree. (Kmart, for the record.) Moving on...
What have I been doing in the last four months? Thanks for asking! Mr. Darling and I have settled very nicely into our new city, he loves his residency, and I have a lot of very wonderful friends here with whom I spend my oodles and oodles of free-time. I still (after seven months) haven't found semi-regular part-time employment, so I have been doing the following things to fill the void left by going from full-time employment to unemployment:
1. I teach a writing class to adult who are learning English. It's volunteer, so I don't get a paycheck, but it's exciting and challenging and somewhat intimidating. I get an opportunity to make use of my writing degree (from Kmart), and it will look good on a resume should I ever find employment. (Let's be honest - I've totally stopped looking.)
2. Five months after I applied for roughly ten substitute teaching jobs (which I may or may not have mentioned was the type of job I planned to get upon moving), I heard back from two schools (charter schools run by the same company) and was hired as a substitute. After spending two months being fingerprinted, having my degree verified, being checked out by the FBI, etc, I officially became a substitute teacher. So far, I've subbed once. It was a third grade class, and I had to reprimand two little boys for drawing penises.
3. I'm selling Pampered Chef. Technically, I may not be allowed to mention that on here, but since I'm not trying to sell to any of you, I don't know why it would matter.
4. I teach a Sunday School class and lead a Wednesday night church group for 6 and 7 year old girls. Both groups of children crack me up on a regular basis, and leading the group means keeping a straight face when little girls ask you to pray that their dogs won't stink.
5. I spend hours, and hours, and hours on Facebook.
So, there you have it. My last four months in a nutshell. Maybe I'll do some sort of contest to entice my wonderful readers to come back. Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading! I promise to try not to randomly disappear again.