Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thanks for commenting... on my three-year-old post

The other day, I was scrolling through some of my old posts, and I noticed that people had commented on them... literally years after I wrote them. And of course, I didn't actually read their comments until a year or so after they'd written them. So by the time I read the comments, the whole thing was moot. It seemed stupid to seek out these people's blogs and then say things like, "Remember what you said last year about something I said three years ago? Well, I disagree." Or, "Haha! That's a funny anecdote that you've probably forgotten having shared."

So, to all the people who commented on things I've said and then never got a response of any sort, I would like to say the following things:

1. If you agreed with me: thanks! I always knew I liked you!

2. If you disagreed with me: I will quote Patrick Henry/Voltaire/Evelyn Beatrice Hall/Whoever the heck first said this - "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." (Just kidding, though. I'm not much of a fighter. But I would most likely peaceably protest against anyone trying to infringe upon your rights to publicly disagree with me. Unless, of course, what you said was really, really dumb.)

3. If you shared a story, moving confession, or recipe for clam dip: I probably read your story and most likely appreciated it and/or experienced whatever emotion was appropriate, but now I've forgotten what they all were. But thanks! And if you shared a recipe for clam dip - sorry, I don't think I like clams.

4. And finally, to the guy who said that he would only ever get married if he and his future wife agreed that they would get divorced the moment one of them felt at all unhappy in the marriage: I sincerely hope that you and your future temporary wife are happy together for a mutually agreed upon period of time. (Don't you just love romance?)

6 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Regarding item #4, does this guy and his wife both have popup timers or something like a turkey thermometer?

Tova Darling said...

SkylersDad - Either that, or he's just never going to get married. I'm imagining the wedding vows sounding like this "For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, as long as I feel like it."

Katherine said...

Seriously, someone shared an unsolicited clam dip recipe? Very strange.

So. Cal. Gal said...

Re: #4 - that guy is just waiting for an excuse to bail. lol!

Dollface said...

Im glad youre back!!!

LegalMist said...

Hey, I just noticed you were back, however briefly -- and I'm a little sad that you seem to be gone again...

But hey, it's good to know you're still alive and well -- and congratulations on the expected little peanut!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks. ~ Calvin & Hobbes